Dicko’s Black Edition Avant

DickoB8

A6 Avant Black Edition
Reaction score
Took the plunge a few weeks back and bought a Black Edition Avant a car I’ve wanted every since we had our 1st little one. Last car was a A4 Avant S Line B8 which was highly specced so finding a replacement car of a similar spec took some doing. After what it seemed like months looking for a car viewing a couple of BMW’s to realise I just couldn’t move away from the four rings, I finally found a low mileage late 16 plate (thankfully in the lower tax bracket) BE Avant 2.0 TDI 190 S Tronic in Daytona grey with a very good spec: Full Heated electric memory seats, Heated rear seats (seems rare), Tech Pack, Power tailgate, Flat bottom wheel, LED light pack, High beam assist, Auto hold. I’ve possibly missed one or two bits but overall we are very pleased!

It’s our first automatic and it’s early days but I’m well and truly converted :)

I gave the car a good clean last weekend and it kept up well with having two white cars on the bounce you forget how good a darker colour polishes up.

With having kids a boot liner was a essential so purchased a Carbox Form mat like we had previously in the A4 for all the usual kit which is needed for days out (everything but the kitchen sink :D)

I’ve enabled a couple of things with carista including needle sweep, boot closing from key, beep on locking, lap timer menu mainly for the oil temp and lastly cornering lights.

Bosch aero wipers fitted all round it’s one of the first things I do to any car I buy it’s a pet hate of mine is smeary wipers!

Also added our private plate along with some Audi sport plate holders which I personally like. The previous owner had ruined the anti rattle foam and expanding plugs on the rear plate so Tom (Crewe Audi) on here sorted me out with some new items.

Anyway here’s some photos,

26cef8deaecd42cc589f6e96c4144963.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: blackwood, Spiedhermonkey, akk_0091 and 3 others
270261b59f1b0dfbc378ea6242cb9d61.jpg

Gobsmacked how efficient the A6 is compared to our previous A4. Yeah the fuel tank is slightly larger but the fuel reserve light would come on at around 400 miles on the A4 where as the A6 with similar driving of town, single carriage ways and motorways has just done 615 miles until the reserve came on. Easily achieving 50mpg+ on a regular basis so I’m happy with that!

It's efficient because the auto gearbox is moving into a high gear as soon as possible. When approaching hazards (i.e. a roundabout), it is good practice to give the gearbox time to select the correct gear to accelerate away from the hazard again.
So many folk complain that they approach the roundabout (without slowing down very much ), then stamp on the gas demanding loads of power while the autobox is still in 6th gear (out of 7). If they were driving a manual diesel they would maybe have selected 4th in plenty time. So give the autobox a chance to do the same thing - so much smoother this way.

Reactions: DickoB8
It's efficient because the auto gearbox is moving into a high gear as soon as possible. When approaching hazards (i.e. a roundabout), it is good practice to give the gearbox time to select the correct gear to accelerate away from the hazard again.
So many folk complain that they approach the roundabout (without slowing down very much ), then stamp on the gas demanding loads of power while the autobox is still in 6th gear (out of 7). If they were driving a manual diesel they would maybe have selected 4th in plenty time. So give the autobox a chance to do the same thing - so much smoother this way.

That's what the manual paddles are for... instant fun at junctions

Reactions: SBJ and DickoB8
Lovely car. I have exactly the same one and colour but with rotors. EXACTLY the same spec but with the matrix headlights which I've not had the chance to try!

Nice car! I often think should I of spent a bit more and got the black edition, maybe next time.

Nice car! I often think should I of spent a bit more and got the black edition, maybe next time.

Thanks when I was looking the price difference between a S Line and Black edition was quite drastic in some cases but when you break it down what the extras would cost wheels etc it’s about right. I was gobsmacked to realise the price of one Black edition wheel god forbid I ever damage one! :)

Reactions: Matt Adamson
Thanks when I was looking the price difference between a S Line and Black edition was quite drastic in some cases but when you break it down what the extras would cost wheels etc it’s about right. I was gobsmacked to realise the price of one Black edition wheel god forbid I ever damage one! :)

I am going to get some new alloys for mine. I want something to make it less standard looking.

Not much has changed on the Avant front I’ve just been enjoying the car and keeping it clean. To be honest the wife drives it more than me I see it more as an expensive ornament on the drive currently :) I did have the crazy idea of possibly selling it last week but I drive it again and fall back in love with it! The urge for a quick petrol car is always a strong part in the back of my head but the A6 does everything we need for a family of 4. It’s just coming up to 29k so not really run in and trying to find something with a similar spec and build quality is hard! Anyway here’s a photo from the last wash.
dbd774f87db8e4fc939068045356205c.jpg

Reactions: blackwood, DonkeyIce, James.c and 1 other person