Diesel Freezing(Waxing)

JCMCN

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been discussed before!! I have a few people tell me of their horror stories this week of the Diesel freezing in their cars. Although I have yet to fall victim. Does anyone know how to prevent this? I have been told adding Kerosene or Petrol to the diesel tank helps any suggestions?:cold:

It was -11 the other day and I didn't have a prob, although I see you're in Scotland so no doubt it's colder. brrr!

The Oil company has already done it for you mate,
From about September each year all the main companys start to supply "Winter Diesel" which has a small cut of Aviation fuel in it this should take you down to about -25c It is an automatic process which happens in the background of the Oil industry so it is never advertised.

You will see and hear about a lot of trucks who's fuel has "waxed" as they use there own storage tanks in there truck yard which still has "Summer Diesel" in the tank as they dont use the fuel up as quick as a petrol station.

So as long as you have been using your car and filling at normal petrol stations there is no need to attempt to blend kero into the diesel as its been injected in already.

Sorry for being an Anorack but its my Job!

Cheers gaz m. Don't worry about the Anorack!! it's guys like you that keep the rest of us mobile!!! I knew about the suppliers adding the additive. I have my own supply which was bought with the additive and my neighbor the same, although his pick-up started to wither the other day so he put some petrol in and this cured the problem. With the additive working to -25 don't you think if the temperature is at say -15 and you are travelling at 50mph wouldn't the wind chill reduce the temp and therefore cause waxing?

Unfortunately my anorack is not fully zipped up, but doesn't adding petrol to the diesel mix (I know were not talking about a lot of petrol) reduce the flash point of the fuel?

Would it not be better to add kerosene instead, if you must add something (or if the neighbour must add something)? less damaging to the engine at least. But again, the lack of a fully zipped-up anorack prevents me saying what ratios to use.

The LCD display in my car was frozen the other day (showing multiple displays as you flicked through) but the fuel delivery at -22 seemed to be fine. Should't be any problems unless the cars been stored since summer and not fuelled up since. If your lucky enough to have your own supply with additive should be no probs.

Yeah Kerosene is the way to go, we blend 15-20% Aviation into the Diesel in Kuwait as the diesel waxes at +8c so no good when it starts to drop to zero!

Dont know if you have noticed but the petrol tank is at the back of the car and so not in a direct airflow so I doubt if wind chill is a major factor to a car but definatly to a truck as tanks stuck out on the side.

If I remember my chemistry right you should not go above a 3% petrol to diesel mix as you may cause heat damage to the cylinder head and piston crowns
Hope that helps.