Diesel fuel filter change - 1.9 TDI 130

DALE_AVANT

Reaction score
Does anyone have a walkthrough?

I can locate the fuel filter to the right of the engine and it looks simple enough, any tips however?

I changed a million and one (exaggeration lol) diesel filters back in my Peugeot days but as with any new job always worth an ask!

Straight forward enough.

I went and filled a gerry can with some new fresh diesel before i started too.

Pull out the R clip, pull the plastic piece up out of the filter ( remember to change the litte "O-Ring"
now move onto the other hoses, remove them by squeezing the wee clip together and the hoses just pull off , may take a little wiggling though.

Unscrew the clamp that holds the filter in, pull out the filter.

Unpack the new filter make sure the drain on the bottom is tight.
Fill it with new fresh diesel, I dont know if this is essential or not but thats what i did.

Pop it into the clamp and tighten the screw to hold it in place.
connect the hoses you removed,
Plug the plastic hose bit back in and put the wee R clip back in.

Clean up and hey presto.

car should fire back into life no probs.

Hope that helps

As above only I have never filled any of mine and had no problems

Thanks guys.

Any tips to avoid getting diesel all over the place?

I prob will go with the pre-fitting diesel fill

Yes hold it straight when removing that's all you can do

Seriously I wouldn't bother filling it I never do and not had any issues

you only need to pre fill diesel filters if the vehicle dosnt have a lift pump to squirt fuel into the filter on turning the key to ingition, older type diesels need priming manually and can sometimes take a bit of turning over to get rid of the air lock. a lot of modern fords are like this and are an absolute tw@t to get going mostly.

the way to tell if your car has a pump is to leave the fuel pipe which feeds the fuel filter off, switch ingition on , check for fuel and switch off straight away. then prime the filter by fitting that pipe and removing the exit pipe which feeds the engine, switch the ingition on and off until fuel comes out which then means the filter is fully primed,put pipes on and that should be it.

the a4 diesels have a lift pump so the way to prime the filter is as above

It will prime its self
I have never filled mine and it was fine
Turned the ignition on and off a few times (to fill the filter with fuel) then it starts first time smooth as anything
Be careful with the black clip as i have heard these break easily

So to prime, just turn the ignition on and off a few times with the feed from the filter to the engine disconnected?

Is that just the initial turn (glow plugs etc) or a full crank of the engine?

Just connect it all up and start the car I will put money on that you have no problems

I have done it 4 times on my motor no trouble at all

just checked on elsawin and you dont need to bleed the system at all

Vehicles with 4-cylinder or 2.7 ltr.; 3.0 ltr. 6-cylinder engine
Due to the design of the engine, with a fuel system pressurisation pump located in the fuel tank, it is not necessary to bleed vehicles with unit injector and common rail engine.
The fuel system bleeds itself when the starter is operated.

Best way to fill up a new filter is fit the new filter connect all the pipes up then a few on and offs of the ignition to get the lift pump to prime the system. Try to get some air out the system as the high pressure pumps don't like to run dry for long.

Dragging this back up... Turned my ignition on and off countless times but it still won't start...

Do all diesel a4's have the lift pump? Pretty sure I can here the pump working but still won't start. Any ideas?

Got it! Cheers, took much longer than I was expecting!

I wish I filled mine when I did it as I had an air lock. Popped a hose off to release the air then reattached and it started after that.

Mine was similar too, it took a lot longer than I had thought it would. I had the wife hanging out of the window frowning at me, at first I was jovial but it soon turned sour when I thought she might be right that I'd break it. When it fired up it was a tried moment of joy! Glad you got it sorted.