Diesel or not?

Adam Caldow

Reaction score
Ive been looking into getting an a3 2.0 tdi dsg but not sure if i’ll end up with dpf issues, my journey to work is around 10 miles and about 15 minutes, i’d say 5/6 miles of that are on the motorway and another mile or so on a 70 road, how likely would i run into any issues or would that be okay for a diesel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, with your estimated daily mileage, I’d buy a petrol A3, as you may encounter DPF issues with a diesel. Diesels are ideal for high miles usage, eg prolonged motorway journeys.

I used to own a 1.4 TFSI petrol A3 saloon, and it was a great engine, with excellent fuel economy, and my usage was similar to yours.

Reactions: AdamInKent and Adam Caldow
It will be sound just take a decent run once a month or so

Reactions: dantdi and Adam Caldow
Personally I feel as long as you take a diesel out for 30min+ blast once a week so it does its regen on the DPF, its unlikely you'll end up with DPF issues arising from the low mileage. I havent had any and I do less miles than you on a weekly average in both my previous 8P 2.0TDI and my 8V 2,0TDI.

However you'd probably be best to work out your MPG on both the petrol and the diesel, it may be that the petrol is more economical. I prefer a Diesel personally, and enjoy doing a long drive and it not emptying my wallet, and it still gives me a mapped 225bhp and a load of torque that is fun . The 1.4 I drove just seemed to run out of puff, and when fully loaded felt bogged down.

Reactions: dantdi and Adam Caldow
Thank you all for your opinions it seems i’ll be okay with a diesel, i currently have a 2011 s3 mapped to 315 but want a change and something a little more sensible, i would still probably get the diesel remapped

I can't see that you'd save an enormous amount of money by swapping from a 2011 8P S3 into an 8V 2.0 TDI. Yes, fuel would cost a little less on your commute... but it's not a big saving compared to depreciation. While getting a newer 8V A3 might possibly see fewer repairs in the future, you'd need to weigh this up against an 8V costing more in the first place if it was much newer than your 8P.

I've had 8Ps, 8Vs... sensible models and S3s of each. Personally I'd stick with the 8P S3 if it's in good condition and move on to an 8V S3 later.

You don't say why you're considering a diesel, but it sounds like you're doing insufficient miles to warrant a diesel and it wouldn't save much if any money. A better way to save money might be not using the current S3 (10 miles each way is very do-able on a bike; I do a 26 mile round trip to work) or getting a cheaper car like an old Polo or something.

Reactions: NevMan
I can't see that you'd save an enormous amount of money by swapping from a 2011 8P S3 into an 8V 2.0 TDI. Yes, fuel would cost a little less on your commute... but it's not a big saving compared to depreciation. While getting a newer 8V A3 might possibly see fewer repairs in the future, you'd need to weigh this up against an 8V costing more in the first place if it was much newer than your 8P.

I've had 8Ps, 8Vs... sensible models and S3s of each. Personally I'd stick with the 8P S3 if it's in good condition and move on to an 8V S3 later.

You don't say why you're considering a diesel, but it sounds like you're doing insufficient miles to warrant a diesel and it wouldn't save much if any money. A better way to save money might be not using the current S3 (10 miles each way is very do-able on a bike; I do a 26 mile round trip to work) or getting a cheaper car like an old Polo or something.

Insurance is a big consideration, to insure an S3 8V over my 2.0TDI was three times the price, and I am old with a clean licence!

For that mileage, petrol all the way. No DPF issues, no EGR issues, and kinder (slightly) to the planet.

For that mileage, petrol all the way. No DPF issues, no EGR issues, and kinder (slightly) to the planet.
I agree that petrol is the best choice for most (excepting people that do lots of motorway miles or who tow).

Strictly speaking, though, a diesel is kinder to the planet (with lower CO2 emissions) but worse for us humans (more particulates and NOx).

It’s also worth bearing in mind that diesels are becoming more unpopular in recent times, which might affect resale value (or perhaps ease of sale). And they tend to be less reliable, and more expensive to maintain, as they age (one reason being that diesel engines run at higher pressures).

Interesting read..

I think in reality, buy a Diesel now if you intend on keeping it till you HAVE to change to a Hybrid / ICE. But if you plan on chopping and changing like many do every year or two, a petrol may be the better option for resale value.

Reactions: dantdi
Ive been looking into getting an a3 2.0 tdi dsg but not sure if i’ll end up with dpf issues, my journey to work is around 10 miles and about 15 minutes, i’d say 5/6 miles of that are on the motorway and another mile or so on a 70 road, how likely would i run into any issues or would that be okay for a diesel?

Buy a latest shape Megane 1.3 petrol, 308 1.2 petrol instead of a A3. For FWD cars they drive much nicer than the A3 8V I own. I had a new shape Corsa for a few weeks earlier this year and that is an impressive car once you get used to it. The EA211 1.4 engine though in my A3 I easily achieve over 50mpg wherever I go.

Did Essex to Manchester in my 1.4 petrol last week. Easy run due to traffic at 60 ish and got 63 mpg.

Cracking engine