Diesel to Petrol

GarryA3

Reaction score
Hi folks.Im thinking of going from a 1.9 tdi 110 bhp to a 2.0 petrol 150 bhp.
On average i do about 600 miles a month costing roughly £70.
Anyone any idea whether my fuel consumption will be a lot more or a little more??
Thanks in advance.

Seems to be roughly 20 mpg less for the petrol.
Is that an awful lot and would this cost alot more filling up.Im really no good when it comes to this part,im really just trying to figure it out in moneytry terms.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If these figures are correct for your diesel, then you are doing approx. 35/36mpg, something seriously wrong there. I get 400 miles out of £40 worth of fuel in a heavy Passat Estate TDI 50/50 town and motorway driving, which is around 40mpg.

Very roughly, with the figures you provide, your fuel consumption will nearly double. Therefore your expenditure on fuel will go up by least £65 a month (petrol is a couple pence cheaper a litre).

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If these figures are correct for your diesel, then you are doing approx. 35/36mpg, something seriously wrong there.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by that?Wrong in what way??

[ QUOTE ]
Very roughly, with the figures you provide, your fuel consumption will nearly double. Therefore your expenditure on fuel will go up by least £65 a month (petrol is a couple pence cheaper a litre).

[/ QUOTE ]

Really??As much as double,thats alot more than what i thought.This is whats putting me off.

Well to give you a vague Idea, on my S3 (which I seem to get similar mpg to the A3s) I get about 330ish miles to a 55-60litres of optimax. It may be worth asking the guys in the new shape A3 forum what mpg they get from the 2.0Fsi - which is what I guess your thinking of?

Basically you'll be filling up twice as often its as simple as that.
600 miles to the tank on the TDi, around 300-320 on the petrol.

[ QUOTE ]
Well to give you a vague Idea, on my S3 (which I seem to get similar mpg to the A3s) I get about 330ish miles to a 55-60litres of optimax. It may be worth asking the guys in the new shape A3 forum what mpg they get from the 2.0Fsi - which is what I guess your thinking of?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its actually an Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 i was thinking of changing to.Ive had a lot of trouble with my A3 and ive lost the place with it.It needs about £1000 worth of stuff done to it so i thought id go for something different.Im really not so sure now and i think im swaying more to paying the money for my A3 to get fixed.

[ QUOTE ]
Basically you'll be filling up twice as often its as simple as that.
600 miles to the tank on the TDi, around 300-320 on the petrol.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the Alfa dealership the salesman worked it out that id be paying around £20 a month more than i am just now which doesnt sound that bad but then again he would say that.
If its as much as twice then i really couldnt afford it due to being on a budget at the moment.

And you're going with an Alfa for reliability!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are having a laugh surely?
Possibily the most unreliable brand on the planet.
It's the one car that doesn't appear on any leaseplan company car scheme because of the horrendous problems inherrent in the Italian design.
Lovely cars but you wouldn't want to own one

The only reviews and opinions i had about the Alfa were from the internet and they all mostly said that they are good cars but running costs are very high.I take it you would advise me not to go to an Alfa then mate?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If these figures are correct for your diesel, then you are doing approx. 35/36mpg, something seriously wrong there.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry bud, my post must have come accross as slightly worrying, you should be getting 50mpg easy with a TDI 110 in an A3, 35/36mpg is like driving around town in 2nd gear continuously economy, or you are driving with a seriously heavy right foot lol.
I'd keep the A3 TDI over any Alfa petrol if fuel economy was your no.1 priority! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The only reviews and opinions i had about the Alfa were from the internet and they all mostly said that they are good cars but running costs are very high.I take it you would advise me not to go to an Alfa then mate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to butt in, but I'm making a similar decision at the moment.

I've had Audis for the last 8 years and I like the car, build, engines etc...

But I've now been offered a free car for work, however only upto £17,500. Not alot to play with. II'll probably end up keeping my car and taking a nice car allowance instead).

£17,500 does not get you alot of Audi, but I've always liked the Alfa look and that sort of money can get you a good spec 147.

I've got a good friend who has owned Alfas for over 15 years and I've often attended Alfo days with him etc...

I love the look but I can't get over the reliability and HUGE service costs, as well as the poor dealerships.

I remeber taking a 147 out once and the fuse box came loose from under the dash and landed on my legs whilst driving!

To sum up, the only way I'll ever buy an Alfa is if the car is on lease so that maintainace and running costs are someone elses responsibilty.

As a personal investment I'd always take the Audi.

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry bud, my post must have come accross as slightly worrying, you should be getting 50mpg easy with a TDI 110 in an A3, 35/36mpg is like driving around town in 2nd gear continuously economy, or you are driving with a seriously heavy right foot lol.
I'd keep the A3 TDI over any Alfa petrol if fuel economy was your no.1 priority! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the problems i have with my Audi is a boost pressure valve not operating properly.Basically when im doing over 70 or the revs are at 3000 then the ECU cuts out and goes into limp mode.Would this have any bearing on my fuel economy?
(i may be guilty of the heavy right foot but recently its been out of frustration due to the car not doing what its meant to)

[ QUOTE ]
[

I love the look but I can't get over the reliability and HUGE service costs, as well as the poor dealerships.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the points that are rattling about my head.The car looks amazing,ex display car.Its got the lot in it and on it but i think i would be daft, going by what you guys are saying, to buy a car just because it looks good.Thats not enough for me.
Lets have a vote:

1) Get the stunning looking Alfa and cruise about for a while then it breaks down

or

2) Keep the A3,spend the money getting it sorted and hope that i dont have any more problems!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Got to agree there, and definately take the car allowance - there's no such thing as a free car and company car tax is getting outrageous especially on petrol models.
I've got a mate who foolishly opted for a 2.5l Jag (petrol) with a fuel card last year and is now paying £500 in tax per month!!!

Take the allowance & keep the tdi, it'll make you money if you're doing business miles

It's the changes on taxable benefit of the fuel card that's had the biggest impact on petrol users, this has gone from being a flat £500 pa (£18 a month) to costing nearly as much as the car taxable benefit, but even without a fuel card you're looking at £300 per month off your nett pay.
Another foolish mate has just opted for the new Passat Estate TDi as a company car and it's still costing him £230 per month just for the car, crazy when he could have got £500 per month car allowance, bought a cheap £4k tdi and also made money on the fuel for business mileage. Some people are still falling for the so called status associated with having a new car, very 80's

I know what you're saying mate, which is why I'll probably stay with the Audi.

What attracted me to the ST was great performance, track days that would ruin the tyres and brakes, but not having to pay to replace them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kev.

Ummm not sure your company insurance would cover you for track days and I believe lease companies take a dim view of racing & rallying unless it's on public roads.
Nice thought though.

Not to mention the fact that the Alfa'll be worth about £12.50 the minute you drive it out the dealer's yard! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

I had a 147 2.0 Lusso and it was a fantastic car. But I averaged around 24 - 26mpg I work in town so was only doing short trips every day. Obviously on longer trips it was a lot better. Petrol Alfa's are renowned for being heavy drinkers, also the oil needs checking regularly. But despite those minor points I had no problem with mine whatsoever (apart from a gearknob fault) it was brilliant to drive, had a amazing sounding engine, not as common on the roads as other cars. It also had all the toys you could want, heated seats, traction, cruise, etc etc. You get so much more for your money with Alfa's comared to the German alternatives. As previously mentioned the dealers are absolute rubbish. I bought mine on a 03 plate it was an ex demonstrator and on top of the gearstick it had a silver plastic gear layout insert. This came loose so I rang the dealer and instead of offering a new one he suggester 'super glue' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif . More recenty I changed job and decided I needed a diesel so I thought about getting a 2.4jtd 156. I lookes on my local dealers website (Mangoletsi in Knutsford) and it showed various cars being in stock, so I drove down there to have a look, sat down with a salesman said 'ive seen a few on your website' and looked at the computer with him the responses I got were 'thats not here' ...'I havent seen that one' ...thats the service managers car' I could not believe it!!! There was one in the front that had bits taken off the dashboard, (obviously to complete cars they have either sold or serviced). I promptly handed him back the keys and went and bought a A4 instead. Best move I have ever done. Not as much character as the 147 but fantastic never the less. As for Alfas losing money when bought I would never buy a new one, but as a second hand then they are deffo worth a look. A6's are not much better at depreciating either by the way.

so to sum up buy a alfa and you will save a packet on fuel due to it being in the stealers all the time being fixed :p

Decided to keep the A3 and get everything fixed on it.Maybe a new set of alloys just to spruce it up a bit more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Decided to keep the A3 and get everything fixed on it.Maybe a new set of alloys just to spruce it up a bit more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif