Difference between alloys

wilmot29

Reaction score
Hi, does anybody know the difference between 8v0601025am and 8v0601025ar. They look identical. Is it just different build dates?
Thanks.

They are different widths and offsets
8V0601025AM - 7.5Jx18 ET51
8V0601025AR - 8.0Jx18 ET46

The wider ones where for the saloon.

Thanks for all the help. I’ve found a couple of sets of 19 inch alloys. I’ve got an ibis white a3 sport back and I like the look of both. I can’t decide. Any opinions would be appreciated. Assuming both would fit.

Attachments

• DCCEBB45-83DC-4B18-B845-D787109CB68C.png
    DCCEBB45-83DC-4B18-B845-D787109CB68C.png
    4 MB · Views: 103
  • 046E5725-67DF-4ED4-B7A1-24BEDB561A19.png
    046E5725-67DF-4ED4-B7A1-24BEDB561A19.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 111
Thanks for all the help. I’ve found a couple of sets of 19 inch alloys. I’ve got an ibis white a3 sport back and I like the look of both. I can’t decide. Any opinions would be appreciated. Assuming both would fit.

The diamond cut set is your better bet. They were on the 2019 s3 so are pretty new with decent branded tyres.
the black set is from older s3 and should have a diamond cut face. The black refurb is either covering up some bad kerbing that couldn’t be fixed on the diamond cut face or a cheap refurb. Also cheap tyres.

Reactions: NevMan
I think the newer alloys look smarter. Would they be a straight swap for the 19’s?
I’ve currently got (225/40/18) 7.5j x 18 et 51
The new ones are (235/35/19) 8j x 19 et 49
I’ve got a PFL a3. I’m hoping they will be an easy swap.
Thanks.

The diamond cut set is your better bet. They were on the 2019 s3 so are pretty new with decent branded tyres.
the black set is from older s3 and should have a diamond cut face. The black refurb is either covering up some bad kerbing that couldn’t be fixed on the diamond cut face or a cheap refurb. Also cheap tyres.

Agree with this. I made the mistake once of buying Audi OEM alloys that had been powder coated. Was hiding cracks etc

Reactions: 8YARWY and AlS3BE
I think the newer alloys look smarter. Would they be a straight swap for the 19’s?
I’ve currently got (225/40/18) 7.5j x 18 et 51
The new ones are (235/35/19) 8j x 19 et 49
I’ve got a PFL a3. I’m hoping they will be an easy swap.
Thanks.

They should be a straight swap. The 19s were an option on the a3/s3. Ride quality mine be a bit hard as the 19s came with mag ride as well.

Reactions: 8YARWY
I can't stand the newer allows, when fitted the 8V it looks old fashioned and ropey. Not a fan.

The older Blades are much better imo.

The 19's will go on fine, but prepared for a drop in ride quality over 18's. Handling is improved though.

Agree with this. I made the mistake once of buying Audi OEM alloys that had been powder coated. Was hiding cracks etc

Complete with FlungDung tyres too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notwithstanding the power coated ones you found may be hiding damage that's not been properly repaired and that the tyres may be inferior, I think diamond cut rims are a liability, period. They will eventually need repairing anyway as the clear lacquer will eventually fail (if only from stone damage) causing 'white worms'/alloy corrosion.

This doesn't mean to say you couldn't decide to have diamond cut ones 100% power coated at that point though (as I did for mine only to once and for all avoid further hassle with diamond cut surfaces). 100% power coating should be much more robust (the paint covering is thicker than clear lacquer on diamond cut surfaces and edges for a start) and also they should be easier to repair/touch-up at home should they get damaged by light curbing or just stone chips. So, I would say just think about how the wheels might look when eventually 100% powder coated. That may influence your choice of rim to start with.

Also bear in mind that repair of diamond cut surface damage can only be done my cutting back the surface on a lathe (with a diamond based cutter). And that can only be done two or 3 times at best over the life of the rim or too much material gets removed and the profile/look of the wheel changes, let alone its structural integrity. At that point the only choice is to scrap the wheels or completely powder coat them anyway!

You can't tell from the photo if the diamond cut ones you've found have already been repaired/re-cut, maybe more than once, already...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. After much deliberation I decided not to go for either of them! The ones that I really like are the black edition speedline ones. If anybody has a set for sale please let me know.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 1AE7E965-DA41-4D84-8511-0F0CE597CDD5.png
    1AE7E965-DA41-4D84-8511-0F0CE597CDD5.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 67
Thanks for all the replies. After much deliberation I decided not to go for either of them! The ones that I really like are the black edition speedline ones. If anybody has a set for sale please let me know.
Thanks.

You know I have a set of 19's for sale of these, so what are you looking for? the 18's version? but the wheels you looked at above are all 19's, do you want 18's or 19's?

Ideally 18’s. I want a straight swap and not have to worry about rubbing if I choose to lower the suspension at a later date.

Reactions: Dubjam
Ideally 18’s. I want a straight swap and not have to worry about rubbing if I choose to lower the suspension at a later date.

Worth reading, theres lots of people that run 8.5's on an 8V