Difference between Audi A4 2.0 tdi 150bhp and 2.0 tdi 190bhp - ECU Remap Stage 1

A4A4

Owner of a Shiny Daytona
Reaction score
Anyone know are these the same engines?

The 2.0 tdi 150bhp and 2.0 tdi 190bhp

Is it the same engine, just the 190bhp tuned up a bit more than the 150bhp?

Like to know the 150bhp should have enough tolerance to be tuned up to 190bhp.

I always wanted to have the 190bhp engine but had to settle for 150bhp 2.0 tdi engine.
Just could not find that bigger 190 BHP engine in the model, colour and spec at that time.

So to compensate for the lower BHP. I chose a dtuk tuning box which reported gains of around 190 bhp. And hey presto, got everything I wanted.

4 years on using the tuning box. I am now thinking about a remap again this time. Just because it's now out of warranty and reading more about stage 1 remaps seem to be more stable and better option.

Curious, I have a six speed in my Audi, gearbox code PZF, I'll be dammed if I can find any info regarding max torque that it's capable of, but they fit them in the 150's and 190's, can anyone throw some light on the specs?

Curious, I have a six speed in my Audi, gearbox code PZF, I'll be dammed if I can find any info regarding max torque that it's capable of, but they fit them in the 150's and 190's, can anyone throw some light on the specs?
They can take plenty - I've had 500nm from them if clutch is healthy

Reactions: Sandra
They can take plenty - I've had 500nm from them if clutch is healthy
Obviously the clutch must be much better than the one in the 2010 Golf 2.0Tdi that I had, the clutch could only cope with 185bhp/410Nm if the map was gentle at the low end, otherwise it would slip, judder and moan like a good un

Obviously the clutch must be much better than the one in the 2010 Golf 2.0Tdi that I had, the clutch could only cope with 185bhp/410Nm if the map was gentle at the low end, otherwise it would slip, judder and moan like a good un
They can also take close to 500nm no problem as long as the clutch and dmf is healthy

They can also take close to 500nm no problem as long as the clutch and dmf is healthy
Well I would question that tbh, after having 3 brand new OEM clutch and DMF's fitted on my Golf and non could cope with 410Nm without slipping, we found the map was too aggressive low down between 1700-1900RPM to be able to cope with the torque so had to be adjusted to accommodate the clutch problem.

Attachments

• 27799146982_757e6b5bf8_c.jpg
    27799146982_757e6b5bf8_c.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 294
Anyone know are these the same engines?

The 2.0 tdi 150bhp and 2.0 tdi 190bhp

Is it the same engine, just the 190bhp tuned up a bit more than the 150bhp?

Like to know the 150bhp should have enough tolerance to be tuned up to 190bhp.

I always wanted to have the 190bhp engine but had to settle for 150bhp 2.0 tdi engine.
Just could not find that bigger 190 BHP engine in the model, colour and spec at that time.

So to compensate for the lower BHP. I chose a dtuk tuning box which reported gains of around 190 bhp. And hey presto, got everything I wanted.

4 years on using the tuning box. I am now thinking about a remap again this time. Just because it's now out of warranty and reading more about stage 1 remaps seem to be more stable and better option.
Hopefully won't hijack the post but do you have any issues or concerns with the DTUK box? Guessing not if it has been fitted for 4 years.

I have been considering one for a while now. Also considering a stage 1 remap but like the idea of being able to remove the box. My car has the multitronic box so having a level of adjustment to keep the torque down if necessary is appealing.

I have the same 150bhp 2.0 TDI engine and find it pretty lacking.

Hopefully won't hijack the post but do you have any issues or concerns with the DTUK box? Guessing not if it has been fitted for 4 years.

I have been considering one for a while now. Also considering a stage 1 remap but like the idea of being able to remove the box. My car has the multitronic box so having a level of adjustment to keep the torque down if necessary is appealing.

I have the same 150bhp 2.0 TDI engine and find it pretty lacking.

Had this tuning box fitted to the car since October 2016. 98% of the time with no problems. Still on now.

Within that time I have had very few issues with the car going in limp mode, maybe 4 0r 5 times.

Debatable now to what reasons caused this.

Playing with the settings (you get 21). Setting them to high while finding the correct settings to suit your engine and drive style.

Remember another time having car going in limp mode, when we had a heatwave 32+c.

Pushing the car a bit hard.

I also have the blanking plug always with me, so on a rare occasion it does play up and your in a pickle, I just fit that and the car goes back to the normal settings. Drive off.

I just think now a good remap may give you that 100%. No limp, maybe.

Last edited:
Reactions: mister.c.
Had this tuning box fitted to the car since October 2016. 98% of the time with no problems. Still on now.

Within that time I have had very few issues with the car going in limp mode, maybe 4 0r 5 times.

Debatable now to what reasons caused this.

Playing with the settings (you get 21). Setting them to high while finding the correct settings to suit your engine and drive style.

Remember another time having car going in limp mode, when we had a heatwave 32+c.

Pushing the car a bit hard.

I also have the blanking plug always with me, so on a rare occasion it does play up and your in a pickle, I just fit that and the car goes back to the normal settings. Drive off.

I just think now a good remap may give you that 100%. No limp, maybe.
Thanks for that. Good to see a detailed and honest feedback on this.

I am currently considering this for mines: https://www.remapper.co.uk/tools/audi/audi-a4-2-0-tdi-multitronic-150-bhp-diesel-2013-2015/

It is a full remap by Quantum Tuning and can be done yourself. From what I have read you upload the original file from the engine and then you get sent the required tuning file to upload via the OBD. The original file can be retained and reloaded if require for any reason. The tool looks to offer a basic diagnostic function too. Pretty good package for £300.

Have read mostly good things about Quantum Tuning too. They seem to have a growing reputation and good feedback.

£300 is expensive for a non custom tune
I charge that kind of money for a stage 1 which takes me all day to do with correct logging.
Find yourself a tuner that can actually tune rather than just adding a few percents to the duration map

Cheers

Reactions: A4A4
Agreed, I think £300 for a generic, off the shelf map is way over priced.

l have been quoted less than half that, £140 for a non custom map.

This will achieve similar results of 150 bhp to 185 bhp and 320nm to 410nm torque.

For now l am going to stick with my tuning box and do some more research. These very good custom tuners are hard to find. Shame Bobby is so far away.

I bought ECU tuned 2015. b8 without knowing, 4 years old. From my experience clutch started to slip after a few months. After more than 1 year it didn't get worse by any means, DMF is working fine, there is no weird sounds. But noticed the that it never slips after holiday season and long highway trips. Then after a few months driving mostly in the city the slip appears again. Soon as i start to drive on highway more the less slip manifest.

Don't bother with a tuning box. I fitted a DTUK box on my B7 2.0tdi 140, it did increase the power a bit, but the fuel consumption seemed a bit erratic.
I stumped up for a custom remap, for the price if £150 I also had my EGR mapped out.
The difference was night and day, far more responsive with just a blip of the throttle and fuel consumption has much improved.
The tuning guy saw the door deposits around my exhaust and asked if I'd previously had a tuning box fitted. Apparently all they do is over fuel the engine to make gains.
Tuning boxes are ok if you have a company car or are getting rid soon. But they're no match for a remap.

Don't bother with a tuning box. I fitted a DTUK box on my B7 2.0tdi 140, it did increase the power a bit, but the fuel consumption seemed a bit erratic.
I stumped up for a custom remap, for the price if £150 I also had my EGR mapped out.
The difference was night and day, far more responsive with just a blip of the throttle and fuel consumption has much improved.
The tuning guy saw the door deposits around my exhaust and asked if I'd previously had a tuning box fitted. Apparently all they do is over fuel the engine to make gains.
Tuning boxes are ok if you have a company car or are getting rid soon. But they're no match for a remap.

Who did that for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who did that for you

A guy in Newark, not too far from you.
He is the owner of Remap UK, there are franchises around the UK too I believe.
I sat in my car with him whilst he did it and he explained all the values and changes he was making.
I'd recommend him, but as that's my only ever remap I have nothing to compare him too.

Reactions: TJS84
A guy in Newark, not too far from you.
He is the owner of Remap UK, there are franchises around the UK too I believe.
I sat in my car with him whilst he did it and he explained all the values and changes he was making.
I'd recommend him, but as that's my only ever remap I have nothing to compare him too.
I’m in Newark mate how can I find the guy? Looking to have a state one on my cr170

Eventually got round to it and got a custom ecu stage 1 remap put on the car with some dyno time.

Remap been on for a good few months now, since May. After selling the tuning box and putting that towards the remap it only cost me £204.

Remap

Overall very pleased with the results and got some good gains.

My car had a older version ecu in. Should have been the newer version for its year, so was a little more limited in pushing it for a few more extra bhp. Not that you would have noticed the difference.

Only regret is, in hindsight, l should have done this earlier before even buying a tuning box, wish I did it years ago.

Have a look at the Darkside Developments YouTube channel. They compared all of the the tuning boxes. iIRC they concluded that they were garbage after they stuck them all on the dyno and compared them.