Difference between the 2.0 TDI 140 and 2.0 TDI 170 spec

chris.vincent3

Own a BMW now, HOWEVER I still own VCDS!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering what the difference between the two spec's are, such as is it just the ECUs that are different? Or is it a bit more than that eg injectors, turbo etc?

Reason i ask is because was looking into getting my 140 remapped, and according to the sources figures..

New hp Original Torque New Torque
Audi A3 TDI 2.0 PD 140 173 hp 320 nm 395 nm
Audi A3 TDI 2.0 PD 170 204 hp 350 nm 415 nm

Seeing as they are the same engine, why do they come up with different final figures given the same map?

Erm as far as i was aware they were different engines, turbo etc...

Really not the same engine.

Oh right, i was told they where the same engines. Explains my question then.

Thanks for that!

There are some slight difference in the two engines. The 170 has a slightly different turbo and different injectors amongst other differences.
It isnt just a case of different map on the two models

There are some slight difference in the two engines. The 170 has a slightly different turbo and different injectors amongst other differences.
It isnt just a case of different map on the two models

So I take it the turbo and injectors off a 170 wont fit on the 140.

Thats a tad annoying really, being told they where the same engine.. Thanks chaps

So I take it the turbo and injectors off a 170 wont fit on the 140.

Thats a tad annoying really, being told they where the same engine.. Thanks chaps

Well they are the same engine in terms of capacity etc, but they have different ancillaries i.e bigger turbo, different intercooler, different injectors plus the 170's all came with DPF. As said they don't just map them differently for the higher output. The 170 has a stronger base to start with...