Different OEM Exhausts?

Baka

Reaction score
Hi, did the A3 8P come with different OEM exhaust options?

I tested about 7 before I bought mine, some were very quiet and what I'd expect from a normal car.

Some were pretty loud, with a massive resonance about 2k rpm, like the one I bought.

Can I fit an standard exhaust that doesn't boom around the whole car at 2k? Surely they wouldn't put something like this on a SE!

Thanks. :)

I'd like to know this too. My friend has an A3 with the same engine and model year as mine, only difference being that mine is a S-line model and yet there seems to be a big difference in exhaust note. Mine seems louder and also has pretty bad exhaust drone at around 2.5-3.5k rpm

Last edited:
Oddly mine is a sport and 2 of the S-Lines I tried were much quieter!

I'll give my local tyres & exhausts place a ring tomorrow and see what they have listed.

Looking under the car the 'suitcase' isn't as long as some I've seen on MK5 gti's.

Not sure if the sport and s-lines are the same but the s3 has the butterfly valve that's opens when your giving it some which makes the exhaust a little louder.
Maybe the valve has been jammed open or been bypassed to be open all the time.
Check under and can see if the valve can be moved by hand should be shut when cars off or on idle, shine a touch down and see if its closed.

Quattro models have a smaller backbox.

My 2.0t was much louder than my 1.8t was (both A3 8P2 S-Line). but it was not quattro. I liked the sound. My 1.8tFSI was so silent I had the resonator cut out just to get some of the nice kind of drone.

The resonator in a 1.8TFSI is straight pipe resonator, the one on the 2.0tFSI is a helmholtz, it has a piece of pipe with an end in it, certain length and width and it cancels out the droney noise.

Reactions: Baka
Is it universal? One of the loud cars I tried was Fwd and a quiet one was Quattro.

Backbox and pipe layouts are different on Quattro vs FWD.

Also mileage and how it has been driven is quite a big factor, a higher mileage one should be louder theoretically because the wool inside burns off over time, and the baffels rot out if left long periods in the rain etc.

Reactions: Baka