Dilemma - 2015 rs3 or rs4 ltd edition

Big_Will

Reaction score
I've got a dilemma that needs some opinions & thoughts.

I've been looking at the new RS3 for a long while, however waiting to see one in the flesh before putting my order in. However I have just been offered an RS4 ltd edition in Suzuka on a very good deal which given its built (has all the toys) and can be collected in a week is pulling me in an opposite direction.

What are your thoughts? Hold out for the rs3 or go for the rs4. I'm daunted by the rs4 being a tad slower (on paper) but more importantly and older technology car... Yet is the rs3 enough.

Coming from a TTs ltd edition.

Cheers.

RS4. Much better awd system is reason enough

Reactions: Big_Will
I must say I've been tempted by the RS4, ok on paper it's slower than the RS3 however that engine sound........nice

The deals on offer at the moment on built and pre owned RS 4's seem to make it good value compared to the new RS3

Very very difficult decision. The RS4 is last hurrah of the naturally aspirated high performance engine. And the car still looks fantastic. And the RS3, at least the sportback is not the most sporty design, worst, to my eyes is little too boxy. The interior design of the RS4 is dated and dull, but the materials are better than the S3/RS3 interior and you seat lower. The RS4 is bigger, so it feels less agile but have better interior space. Both engines sound amazing, maybe the V8 at 8200 rpm has the edge. But I have the feeling that the RS3 with the sports exhaust will sound more special when not trashing it. If I had the chance I would ask the dealer to borrow both cars for maybe a day. Its a very close call.

Very tough decision as already mentioned. I also pondered the RS4 as you can get some good deals on them.

Personally having come from fast big cars (SQ5 being the latest), I missed the handling aspect and now go for the smallest yet practical car I can. The S1 is just too small but an absolute hoot to drive, hence now going for the RS3 as I have a baby on the way and have to fit a pram in somewhere!.

In 3 years when the family may have grown another +1 I'll probably have to look at the RS4.

So if you can get away with the smaller boot of the RS3 I'd say go for that as it will be much more fun to drive due to the nimbler nature of the chassis.

for the blue seats though, they spoil the car I think

I would go for the RS3 based on the RS4 looking a bit dated in the cockpit and I agree the Blue interior is not a good look.

They are giving good deals on the RS4 for a reason. It's an old discontinued model.

Also I just noticed you said in Suzuka? I thought it was a special Nogaro Blue.

Yep it's in Suzuka with split black / red buckets on the interior. They've done another one after the Nogaro edition as a final send off.

The challenge im facing with the rs3 is simply not being able to see it. I also share the concern it won't be special enough.

A very tough decision indeed. I've got a few days to make myimd up.

Attached is an image of the rs4 interior.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 345
Nice dilemma to have! Those seats are nasty in my opinion. Exclusive or not, I'd much prefer them in plain old Black.

As much as I like the RS4, the new A4 is coming and the RS shouldn't be too long after that. Echo the above in that the 2.5 has a load of character, the RS3 is newer, more economical and if you don't get on with it early on, you'll easily sell/trade it as others wait on their orders.

Yep it's in Suzuka with split black / red buckets on the interior. They've done another one after the Nogaro edition as a final send off.

The challenge im facing with the rs3 is simply not being able to see it. I also share the concern it won't be special enough.

A very tough decision indeed. I've got a few days to make myimd up.

Attached is an image of the rs4 interior.

Man this interior looks amazing. Trust me, my A5 with all black super sports seats look nice but waaay too serious, too formal. A car like the RS4 have to look sporty, bold. Audi knows how to do it without making it look tacky. The only gripe with the RS4 is not that the car may look old because it still looks great and special, but the fact that it will be replaced in just a few months. No matter what you choose, you're gonna have to give away something, so go for one of the too and don't look back.

... and please, we need more pics to help you decide :innocent:

Reactions: GRE57Y
I wouldn't have thought we'd see a new model RS 4 for at least 2 years
They'll release a new shape A4 first, RS model probably 2 years after that launch.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500, Big_Will and Caval4r
This thread is a true 1st world problem issue

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus, Caval4r, Big_Will and 1 other person
As requested, some more pictures (ignore the hideous wheel gap, it's on its transit blocks still & the hideous pics are courtesy of my dealer...)

You're right, it is a 1st world problem, but its infuriating.... I've had a look at a grey RS4 today (not today, and it looked great, so can only imagine it in Suzuka...)...

However, the RS3 does seem very tempting (apart from the wait list, KL Audi have said its unlikely I'd get a delivery until November, maybe December....

Out of interest, Vertigo, the same that attends a lot of MPUK stuff?

IMG 1186
IMG 1182 2
IMG 1183 2
IMG 1184
IMG 1185

Reactions: THQuattro, ThatOneDude and Bristle Hound
I'd have that all day long over the RS3.

I think some of the people who've ordered the new one are gonna be disappointed.....

Reactions: Marshy
I was RS3 all the way but these photos have made me stop and think.

Fuel economy would be a big factor.

But I suppose it all depends on how attractive the discount is against the RS4....are they not about £60k new?

If ONLY I could get one in the garage safely and open the door sufficiently to get out it would be an: RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7, RS7...

And I'd have happily bought this beast home from a Swansway Garages Experience day last year:

P1000975_zpsiepmxrw2.jpg

I've never driven another road going Audi like it; thank you Audi.... :respekt:

It's just the 9mpg of the RS7 :shrug: and those :busted cop: that makes me hang on to my humble Audi RS3... :racer:

Reactions: THQuattro
I was RS3 all the way but these photos have made me stop and think.

Fuel economy would be a big factor.

But I suppose it all depends on how attractive the discount is against the RS4....are they not about £60k new?
A lot of car for the money.

As requested, some more pictures (ignore the hideous wheel gap, it's on its transit blocks still & the hideous pics are courtesy of my dealer...)

You're right, it is a 1st world problem, but its infuriating.... I've had a look at a grey RS4 today (not today, and it looked great, so can only imagine it in Suzuka...)...

However, the RS3 does seem very tempting (apart from the wait list, KL Audi have said its unlikely I'd get a delivery until November, maybe December....

Out of interest, Vertigo, the same that attends a lot of MPUK stuff?

View attachment 59480 View attachment 59476 View attachment 59477 View attachment 59478 View attachment 59479
^ This over a RS3 IMO

Hi, your in a bit of a predicament so you think?
l am thinking/posting on your thread thinking long term...........as l see it,its a one horse race..........the new RS3,BUT ACT QUICKLY as from what l have been told, Audi have already sold the first thousand cars on order/built so the waiting list time will be very long indeed unless you get a cancelled order,as for the RS4 a very fine car,looks awesome in the right colour but NOT in that Suzuka paint,buy in haste, repent at your leisure...lol

Conversely, dealers have already started dropping their pants and offering 9% discount without even trying as they are struggling to move their quota. Normally this level of discount is not seen until dealer demo's are available 6 months after first customer delivery...

I know of 3 people that ordered last week and got BW of 20something, so the waiting list doesn't seem to long to me...

A quick update from my end.

I have decided against the RS4 and in favour of the RS3. After a few quick builds this morning and some conversations with my dealer, my figures are coming in at £48.5k, they are then prepared to offer 6% off this (this was very suprising, although from "josedebardi" post, should I be asking for more?). I wouldn't know a build week until the order actually goes in though.

So my reasons for deciding against the RS4.

Essentially its a model run out and I have reservations over the epic depreciation it will undoubtedly sustain. Given how soon the RS3 came on the A3 chassis, its a possibility we'll see a new RS4 as soon as late 2016 which would have hit me hard come my usual 1.5 - 2 years change window (especially given the unique colour offering). Finally it came down to sitting in a new S3 this morning. IMHO, it just felt like a nicer environment and considerably "newer" so to speak.(conversely I hate the new TT interior and the digital dash, at first I was wow'ed, then it became very boring)....

For anyone interested in the RS4 figures, I'm happy to share. List price of the Ltd Edition £62534 discounted by 15% (inc Audi contribution) with a few little sweeteners thrown in (protection / gap etc). By the time I'm finished with the RS3 its likely to work out maybe 2.5k cheaper (before RS3 discount), which is always a positive, but IMHO after a lot of soul searching I think maybe the better car...

Now all I hope is that when I actually see one in the flesh I'm not hideously disappointed... Apart from Goodwood, does anyone know of any upcoming UK previews / dealership deliveries etc?

6% is still very strong, and while 9% is achievable with some dedication and willingness to travel for pickup, most dealers are still giving more like 3-5% even when pushed. I'd be happy with your deal (I got similar).

While I fell for the RS6 sheer effortless grunt, the RS4 had the best voice, the Thor like , gruff blips on downshift were second to none.

When the time comes If it would fit in my garage, an RS4 is a definite option.
If it doesn't, then it's time to consider a house move to make it possible.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Isn't the current rs6 more economic and environmentally more friendly than the current rs4?

Isn't the current rs6 more economic and environmentally more friendly than the current rs4?

Probably. It's an incredibly light chassis for the size of car, and being a more modern V8 than the RS4 if you stay off boost I can believe it's more frugal.

Love the RS6 it's just too big for my needs and a very expensive 'monster'!

Reactions: 45bvtc
Conversely, dealers have already started dropping their pants and offering 9% discount without even trying as they are struggling to move their quota. Normally this level of discount is not seen until dealer demo's are available 6 months after first customer delivery...

I know of 3 people that ordered last week and got BW of 20something, so the waiting list doesn't seem to long to me...

The only true way is to find out for yourself,l know for a fact,Glasgow Audi will give no MORE than a 6% discount at best at this time,Norman what colour are you going for in the RS3

I'm not I think it is too much money at the moment unless someone wants to give me 9% of course! I have been messed around by a couple of local dealers so I have decided to wait and see one in the flesh and see if the discounts get better after they have been around a while. I was looking at Panther or Daytona.

I contacted Manchester Audi today and heard nothing but then came home to an answerphone message. I always take dealers ringing home numbers in the day and leaving messages a sign of stupidity but also they can't be that desperate to sell me a car with 9% discount :-(

Reactions: josedebardi
Poor decision me thinks.
AWD system in the 4 trumps any tricks they will have thrown at Haldex in the 3.
Might be a run out, but there is something wonderful about a NA V8, which will unlikely be had again in a RS.
Opportunity missed.

Reactions: kanecullen89
What are Audi doing with their wheels at the moment.
The wheels on that RS4 and the RS3 are terrible efforts, look like they are 10 years out of date.

Just spoke to Audi Manchester and they laughed at me so the 9% isn't true or you have to threaten them with murder to get it! I think you guys are safe that you have good discount enjoy your RS3's I'm going to find something cheaper to play with for 6 months and review the situation then, the RS will also be close to production by then.

Reactions: josedebardi