Dilemma - B9 S4 or B8 RS4

Robbe

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a dilemma. I currently drive a b8 black edition avant diesel that is in its last year of the PCP. So am starting to think about what to get next. I am also starting a new job that drops my daily commute from 60 miles down to less then 3 miles. So am thinking of going petrol. With such a low commute mpg is not really an issue. So do I go for a new S4 avant ( on a 4 year pcp) or go for a 3 year old RS4 ( on a 5 year hp). The monthly payments are more for the RS4 but I would own it at the end.

Concerns for the RS4 is insurance and maintenance costs and finding one in the right colour and spec. But the pros is that engine ........

What would you do?

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and Thundercliffe81
I had the same thought process and went with the S4... I could spec it the way I wanted it and it's significantly cheaper overall for me. Just the sound of the V8 that would draw me in, in all other aspects the B9 S4 wins hands down for me. Even down to the power delivery if I'm honest as you can get some serious punch without having to rev the nuts off it. And a remap will see it easily as fast as the RS4.

Just that noise you're missing though. And the fuel bill...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dunders, Robbe and Thundercliffe81
Hi,

I have a dilemma. I currently drive a b8 black edition avant diesel that is in its last year of the PCP. So am starting to think about what to get next. I am also starting a new job that drops my daily commute from 60 miles down to less then 3 miles. So am thinking of going petrol. With such a low commute mpg is not really an issue. So do I go for a new S4 avant ( on a 4 year pcp) or go for a 3 year old RS4 ( on a 5 year hp). The monthly payments are more for the RS4 but I would own it at the end.

Concerns for the RS4 is insurance and maintenance costs and finding one in the right colour and spec. But the pros is that engine ........

What would you do?

Welcome to my World I've ranted on about this for over a year. I went from B8.5 S4 Avant to B9 S4 Avant. Was close to going for the RS4 but was just a bit pricey. Now that I've experienced the fantastic tech and delivery of the new S4, I'm going to go B8 RS4 as prices have dropped. Probably next year mate.

As the man has already stated, it's all about that 4.2! It's such an icon. I need to experience it! But, as a package, the new S4 is utterly glorious. You genuinely feel like you're in a £50k car where as with the B8...the interior was never luxurious. Incredibly built but not luxury. You'll love the S4 but prices are right on the RS4 now and you only live once.

Reactions: V6_Man and Robbe
Think I need to go a test drive both cars and see what I think of them.

Reactions: Daggerit and Thundercliffe81
Think I need to go a test drive both cars and see what I think of them.

That's the best bet mate. Back to back. The RS4 felt so special when I drove it. You'll never get another engine like that in this platform. Sad times. Let us know what you think

Reactions: RS4B8LYF
I was same and went b9 s4 as the wife will be using at times also if it was just mine I'd have the rs4 but I didn't want anything that could give me headaches when I work away. P.s the s4 is really something even coming from my year old rs3

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Booked a test drive in an RS4 later today. My local Audi dealer has got an S4 avant so trying to get a test drive in that. The also have a RS3. So that might be another option so will try and get a drive in that as well

Reactions: Daggerit and Thundercliffe81
What a car. Had a brief drive in the pouring rain. The v8 sounds amazing and even though it was raining It felt very planted and stable. Was easy to drive around town. Just need to see what the S4 is like. Doesn't help that have found an RS4 in my budget with all options I want.

What a car. Had a brief drive in the pouring rain. The v8 sounds amazing and even though it was raining It felt very planted and stable. Was easy to drive around town. Just need to see what the S4 is like. Doesn't help that have found an RS4 in my budget with all options I want.

What kind of figures? Deposit, Monthlies etc?

With a £3k deposit can probably get the following

60 month hp at 3.4% at £600 a month
48 month pcp at 4.4% at £579 a month with a final payment of £9,900
36 month pcp at 4.4% at £637 a month with a final payment of £13,700

Car has done £50k miles but recently services and had new front discs and pads. So no major servicing need for a while. I will only be doing 8-10k a year if that.

With a £3k deposit can probably get the following

60 month hp at 3.4% at £600 a month
48 month pcp at 4.4% at £579 a month with a final payment of £9,900
36 month pcp at 4.4% at £637 a month with a final payment of £13,700

Car has done £50k miles but recently services and had new front discs and pads. So no major servicing need for a while. I will only be doing 8-10k a year if that.

Good in depth figures there. Appreciate that How much is car then? If it's at 50k miles...

I'm paying £578pm on 48month PCP for my B9 S4. Some good options too. 3.9% APR. Who's the finance with?

You'll find the S4 lighter and more nimble. Especially in cornering. Cabin ten times better. But it's all about that gorgeous V8.

Car is £36,500

Finance is with Halifax. They have an online calculator. My account is with them so they base the figures on your account. Was going to use them to get audi to match.

Think a new S4 on a 4 year pcp would be under £600 for a £55k car

Car is £36,500

Finance is with Halifax. They have an online calculator. My account is with them so they base the figures on your account. Was going to use them to get audi to match.

Think a new S4 on a 4 year pcp would be under £600 for a £55k car

So, a car at £52k (mine) is the same price as a £36,500 car at only a marginally higher APR? Both PCP, both 48months. Makes no sense Audi used APR is usually about 12% mate!! Just bare that in mind haha. Ruthless.

they are the same but at the end of a 4 year pcp the lump sum would be a lot less on the RS4. Also although your car is 52k how much of a discount did you get. If you look at actually how much you borrowed they probably be similar total spend over 4 years. The Rs4 would probably cost less and if I wanted to sell in 18 months I should still have equity. Would get that with a new S4.
Both options are good. Just need to figure out the right one thats means the wife is still talking to me!!!

Audi used car apr is stupid at 12%. Probably go with someone else or get audi to match the monthly. Would

I got 4.4% used apr on an rs4 at audi via blackhorse

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

they are the same but at the end of a 4 year pcp the lump sum would be a lot less on the RS4. Also although your car is 52k how much of a discount did you get. If you look at actually how much you borrowed they probably be similar total spend over 4 years. The Rs4 would probably cost less and if I wanted to sell in 18 months I should still have equity. Would get that with a new S4.
Both options are good. Just need to figure out the right one thats means the wife is still talking to me!!!

Audi used car apr is stupid at 12%. Probably go with someone else or get audi to match the monthly. Would

Haha. Got to keep the superiors happy My girlfriend is like "yeah, yeah...I'm happy with an RS4 or RS6" Who's paying? Me! Can't wait to see what you choose. I want the lunar interior, Sepang, 20" V spokes, panoramic, carbon inlay and dynamic pack for my RS4 next year.

What you looking at?

Reactions: V6_Man
Audi can use lower finance rates if pushed, I was offered a used S4 at 4.9%, as always with finance deals, get one you are happy with and ignore the fact they will be getting money out of you one way or another.
I went for a new S4, incredible car and subtley unobtrusive, the RS4 does indeed sound gorgeous but also screams "I'm here"
For comparison, my car was £51k with options, £20k gmfv and £580 per month over 4 yr pcp.

What did Audi finance offer for APR?

No idea. I told them my budget and they offered me that. Came in 9 quid over but i got tyre and paint protection

No idea. I told them my budget and they offered me that. Came in 9 quid over but i got tyre and paint protection

I'm going to HOUND my dealer for that APR on my RS4 haha.

I'm going to HOUND my dealer for that APR on my RS4 haha.

I only financed about 40% of it. Not sure if that impacts things

Specs i want as a minimum is
20" v spoke
Sports pack
Folding and dimming mirrors
Privacy glass
Hold hold assit
Carbon inlays

I only financed about 40% of it. Not sure if that impacts things

I remember you saying yeah. Yeah, actually, that's going to impact it for sure.

Those shoulders!! Haha. Hench car, I love it. The sat nav takes me back So classic now. But I love the speedo and dials. Just right. Crisp. I'm going Miltek exhaust on mine.

That one will have google maps too

One of the last photos i ever took of it, doing sale post pics
fcb45e9d209a22d49af8a97796f2b5ca.jpg

That one will have google maps too

I've not seen many with Audi connect/Nav High ya know. Would be nice. You can get Google Earth can't you on the RS4? With the highest pack?

I've not seen many with Audi connect/Nav High ya know. Would be nice. You can get Google Earth can't you on the RS4? With the highest pack?

Yep. That was on my must have list for the traffic and HDD

One of the last photos i ever took of it, doing sale post pics
fcb45e9d209a22d49af8a97796f2b5ca.jpg

Ignore my last post! Haha. That does look really cool actually in that car. Makes it look less dated.

Ignore my last post! Haha. That does look really cool actually in that car. Makes it look less dated.

Don't worry about looking dated. All that matters is the redline of your car is at the 12 o clock position of the RS

Don't worry about looking dated. All that matters is the redline of your car is at the 12 o clock position of the RS

I was on the fence a year ago probably because of prices. But now, it's just 100% what I'm going for.

@Robbe I honestly think you'll fall in love with S4 interior but the RS4 growl is in you now. You're ********

Keep showing my wife the pictures of the RS4 and get that look or don't you dare!!!! Hmmm have got some convincing to do.

Keep showing my wife the pictures of the RS4 and get that look or don't you dare!!!! Hmmm have got some convincing to do.

Blackmail, bribery or just flat out...drugs!

Reactions: Robbe
I told mine it was a 'sensible estate car' and showed the pics. No mention of engine or money. On the drive home she figured out i had spun her a line pretty quickly

Reactions: IDontLikeSpeedCameras, pierreluigi88, SPIKE_ and 3 others
I told mine it was a 'sensible estate car' and showed the pics. No mention of engine or money. On the drive home she figured out i had spun her a line pretty quickly

Legend.

Reactions: Robbe
I originally was going for an S4 Avant, I was hooked by the technology as I was never too impressed with the B8 interior on all the 'standard' models I had driven. I felt it was too much plastic.
I started looking at RS4s and as they came with the carbon as standard and the nice shiny buttons around the mmi it was much better. The one I ended up buying also had most of the desirable options! Including the Miltek.
Deal done and I have never regretted it! I bought mine privately so I feel I got a good deal, I paid £500 more than the owner had been offered as a trade in on an RS6 performance.
As has already been said they are a dying breed with the V8 and the new model is going to be so expensive.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'll get another if i cant stretch to a v10 r8. Got the mrs to ok the garage plan. Diesel big estate, r8, mk1 TT quattro sport and a polaris ATV

One question I do have of people who have a RS4. Did you need to get a tracker for the insurance? A guy I know at work had to get one for his b8 S4. Don't want to suddenly be hit with a big expense.