Dilemma - TTS or Cayman S

I had small battle with cayman s on race track. The track was wet and Cayman couldn't go as fast as S3 :)

If your looking for a car to thrash round most days why dont you go for a lancer evo MR?? Less money than both the TT-S and cayman, the interior wont be as good but the drive will be more rewarding plus you would have more respect one the road in a evo any day!

Can't see any evo other than the 300+ FQ models being any faster than my S3.
I really hate poor interiors...could never go back.

6andy69 said:
If your looking for a car to thrash round most days why dont you go for a lancer evo MR?? Less money than both the TT-S and cayman, the interior wont be as good but the drive will be more rewarding plus you would have more respect one the road in a evo any day!

More respect in a rice boiler than a premium German car? (Porka or Audi) I think you've spent too long sniffing someones exhaust pipe pal. Plus for most people a 4500mile service interval isn't very practical.

I've just put down a deposit on a TT-S. There are three factors for me which make it a 'no brainer':

1) My car has to have 4 seats on paper to qualify for the company allowance scheme
2) I really like the security of 4wd in the wet
3) I love the DSG gearbox.

I already have an A3 3.2 with all the above, but wanted to upgrade to something a little sportier, so the TT-S is the motor for me. I would love an S4 or RS4, but the running costs prohibit it for me. The TFSI engine in the TT should be more efficient than the engine in the 3.2 in traffic, so I'm hoping to move the running costs in the right direction!

And hasn't the TT moved away from it's hair dresser image? Certainly no one I've spoken to about cars has ribbed me on my choice, and my friends are pretty merciless usually :)

Cheers
Dan

Ess_Three said:
But the Porsche seats are more supportive - but less showy - the pedals are better placed, steering better weighted etc...

The Audi is more showy...it'll impress the chaps down the local winebar more.
The Porsche is more workplace like...it has everything the driver needs and doesn't pander to fashion or onlookers!

Different design ideas completely...
This is by design of course...not by accident.

No ****?
To the point of being blinkered?
Looks like it, to me.

Ahh...the old 'more power makes a better car' idea.
But the chassis balance and braking will still make the Porsche the more enjoyable (and rewarding) car to drive.

I take it you've driven the TT-S then, in order to make a statement like this?
Not saying for a minute it will be/won't be better but not sure how you can be so sure it will.

bacardi said:
I take it you've driven the TT-S then, in order to make a statement like this?
Not saying for a minute it will be/won't be better but not sure how you can be so sure it will.

Let's see...
How much different from a TT can it be?
Haldex is Haldex..and it'll still be a golf in a pretty frock underneath.

The brakes will still be over-servod...and the pedals have no feel.

Whereas the Cayman is sublime to drive, with better balance and perfectly weighted controls.

A TT-S is only a pumped up TT...which in turn is 'only' a Golf/A3 underneath...the laws of physics still apply; front engined vs mid engined, FWD/4WD vs RWD, nose heavy under braking vs better balanced.

Audi can do a lot with a TT-S....but they can't deny the laws of physics...and on that count, the Cayman has advantages.

Still...lets not let that get in the way of those who can't see past 4 rings, eh?

urm - take it you own a porsche then. FWIW, I'm not a huge Audi fan either

The point I was making - no one knows yet, unless you've acutally driven one

Example - the A4 itself doesnt handle too sharpish, the RS4 is a fair bit tidier, agreed? So, its quite possible the TT-S may be a big improvement

As for sublime handling, sorry but the Cayman would not be what I called a sublime handling machine, I found the nose very fidgety, more so than the 911 which was a suprise, (perhaps its fuel tanks were too low - another porsche that significantly alters its handling when either full or low on fuel)

perfectly weighted controls are also a bit of a far reaching statement, the clutch seemed overly light to me, and the steering seemed particularly light around the straight ahead,

As you say though, lets not let that get in the way of those who can't see beyond anything produced in stuttgart

The Porsche is ugly inside and out (never been a big fan myself) , I'd take the TTS every time.

consilio said:
The Porsche is ugly inside and out (never been a big fan myself) , I'd take the TTS every time.

I'd not choose either...
The TT is still too 'hairdresser' for me and the Cayman too expensive.

Just playing devils advocate...although the Cayman is brilliant to drive.:eiertritt:

bacardi said:
urm - take it you own a porsche then. FWIW, I'm not a huge Audi fan either

I have a Porsche but not a Cayman..I moved from an S3 to my 911...so I've actually bought both with my own money, so my comments are based on that.
I don't particularly like the Cayman..I wouldn't buy one I don't think...but I wouldn't buy a TT-S either.

The point I was making - no one knows yet, unless you've acutally driven one

Example - the A4 itself doesnt handle too sharpish, the RS4 is a fair bit tidier, agreed? So, its quite possible the TT-S may be a big improvement

But the TT-S...is an S. Not an RS.
And the S4 is nothing special, is it?
Better than the last ill-handling barge perhaps...but still poor.

As for sublime handling, sorry but the Cayman would not be what I called a sublime handling machine, I found the nose very fidgety, more so than the 911 which was a suprise, (perhaps its fuel tanks were too low - another porsche that significantly alters its handling when either full or low on fuel)

The nose moving about a bit was quite possibly the thing called 'feedback' that most audi drivers don't experience?

I find the nose moving about fine...you get used to it...and you get plenty of information through it.
Funny that you find the nose of the Cayman very fidgety...I never find so..and I also find that the 911 doesn't vary with fuel load to any significant degree either.
although, tyre pressures do have a huge impact.
Perhaps they were a shade high?

Of all the cars I've driven, I'd say the Cayman was sublime. It's easy to drive, perfectly balanced and doesn't take the learning that a 911 does.

perfectly weighted controls are also a bit of a far reaching statement, the clutch seemed overly light to me, and the steering seemed particularly light around the straight ahead,

Maybe depends on what you are used to and what you like...
I never found so.

I find the positioning of the pedals better for fast driving on the Cayman than the TT..the brake has more feel and is better placed for heel-toe...although if the TT-S is DSG I suppose that's irrelevant.

I know what you mean about the Porsche steering being light at the mid point...but it tightens up as the lock is wound on..I find the current TT (most current quick VAG cars) steering artificially heavy, with no feel, regardless of the position of the steering wheel.

As you say though, lets not let that get in the way of those who can't see beyond anything produced in stuttgart

I doubt you'll find many of those on here..being an Audi site.
I've never had to many little problems with a car as I have my Porsche...the interior is crap (well enough put together, and supportive...but not great to look at) but it wasn't bought to impress or look great. It was bought to drive. Hard.
And it's still ahead of any (I'll reserve judgement on the R8) Audi that I've driven in that respect.

The TT-S will be interesting, for sure...time will tell if it'll be another missed opportunity.

Has anyone driven this new TT??? People I know all rave about its newly balanced chassis? I havnt driven the new TT but after having a we drive in a mates porka, it would have to be a hell of a lot better than the old one for me to choose one:sorry:

You can remap the Cayman S and the TTS, the Cayman still holds the edge. I've driven both and would have the Cayman every time, despite the TTS having the better interior.

The TTS is a good car but not up to the Cayman's capabilites. The residuals on the Cayman are also way better.

Can't see the fact you're driving a TT-S will mean the dealers suddenly become competent.
I've no experience of Porsche dealers, but I would imagine (hope..) they treat their customers like they actually know something about cars, not like octogenarian duffers whose opinion is to be ignored.
Would a Porsche dealer ignore a client telling them they thought a front wheel bearing was ******, tell them it's "tyre noise" and try to sell them two new rear tyres?
It's disgusting.
Not that they care, evidently.

Ess_Three said:
The nose moving about a bit was quite possibly the thing called 'feedback' that most audi drivers don't experience?

feedback is something I am used to though from my days with an Elise and co ownership of a westfield.

To me, the CS it felt over damped, not too hard, just over damped, fidgety is a good desrciption. The 911 suffers from this too - just something I was aware of when driving them both, though I've not owned either so I can't make any longer term comments.

Bowfer - totally take your point about dealers, though I've had limited experience with porsche, when going to drop off/collect my friends 911 turbo they do seem to care though and whilst not everything was resolved the first time round, their "hit" ratio was significantly better than Audi

bacardi said:
Bowfer - totally take your point about dealers, though I've had limited experience with porsche, when going to drop off/collect my friends 911 turbo they do seem to care though and whilst not everything was resolved the first time round, their "hit" ratio was significantly better than Audi

Which is pretty much as I would expect.
Porsche owners are, on the whole, enthusiasts who will know a thing or two about cars.
I would expect that to be reflected in the quality and enthusiasm of their mechanics.
This is why I'd always go for a Porsche (or similar) over an R8 too.
Unless Audi have dedicated R8 mechanics, the same bloke servicing your R8 has just finished a service on an A2.
I just don't fancy that, at all.

I don't like BMW's but I must admit i'd be looking towards the M3 CSL.

Cayman S gets my vote, a porsche is a sports car, a TT-S is a fast Audi.

I think the interior on the Porker is gorgeous but just personal taste I guess

If its about prestige and kudos down the pub, both cars are too close to RS4 money.

If its about speed and handling, both cars are too much compared to a well specced Evo or dare I say an Impreza.

Both are very nice cars though. (If your a crimper or an estate agent :p )

I like my cars to offer a complete package...I don't like Evo's or Imprezas. The last Evo I drove had no stereo as standard. You can get the same interior on a car costing £5500 new. The last Impreza I drove had a removable gearnob! I couldn't get used to the poundstretcher interiors, the service intervals, or the stigma.

Dont' get me wrong, they are both very good drivers cars, but as an ownership prospect they fall way short. If I were just after performance then I'd be better in an Ariel Atom, which would eat them both.

I doubt anyone on here would opt for an FQ 340 over the Cayman given the choice - assuming that space and seating wasn't an issue.

As an ownership prospect my Impreza totally exceeded the shonky build, poor reliability and astoundingly mind numbingly pi%% poor dealer network that is Audi

What a wonderful "dilemma" to have!!!

I'm a little confused though... You say that you are looking at a new car because of running costs, but are looking at more expensive options? If there is another reason for changing cars them maybe you should be asking how different the TT is to the S3 (never driven the TT so can't say)?

Also, you say you spend most of your time in traffic. Will you get the most out of either?

Interested in hearing how the test drive went...

I dont think i could be happy with either. While the new TT definitely works better as a unisex car (the old TT always looked abit like a ladies car to me) I dont think I can see myself owning one. The CS is nice and Im positive it would be a joy to drive, I cant help thinking I wouldnt own one long... Id be loving it until someone drove past in a 911.

Are these cars even money?

bacardi said:
As an ownership prospect my Impreza totally exceeded the shonky build, poor reliability and astoundingly mind numbingly pi%% poor dealer network that is Audi

Audi dealerships are truely terrible places, but there are some good ones. My experience's have been both good and bad.

While the Impreza is a solid motor, for me it just isnt cool!

bacardi said:

I was seriously uninspired by the interior of the last Impreza I was in. The doors felt like they were made of tinfoil. Maybe the dealer network is good, but I couldn't own one myself. As with most Jap cars they are reliable however.

klauster said:
I dont think i could be happy with either. While the new TT definitely works better as a unisex car (the old TT always looked abit like a ladies car to me) I dont think I can see myself owning one. The CS is nice and Im positive it would be a joy to drive, I cant help thinking I wouldnt own one long... Id be loving it until someone drove past in a 911.

Are these cars even money?

What do you drive now?

It seems quite simple to me...if you want four rings get the TTs or if you want a driver's car, get the Cs! So many blinkered people on here...

bowfer said:
Unless Audi have dedicated R8 mechanics, the same bloke servicing your R8 has just finished a service on an A2.
I just don't fancy that, at all.

Dont think you can just drive your R8 into any dealer/garage and have it serviced/repaired.

My service booklet (published 05.10.2007) mentions the "R8 service partner".

klauster said:
Audi dealerships are truely terrible places, but there are some good ones. My experience's have been both good and bad.

While the Impreza is a solid motor, for me it just isnt cool!

Agree here, mental cars, iffy image

CJP80 said:
I was seriously uninspired by the interior of the last Impreza I was in. The doors felt like they were made of tinfoil. Maybe the dealer network is good, but I couldn't own one myself. As with most Jap cars they are reliable however.

Yup, one of the reasons why I changed to something better built (Or so I thought!) was that it used to make me laugh that the dash could be dismantled without the need of a screw driver and when the doors were closed, they sounded hollow

Still, the door handle never fell off, like my A3's did this morning

Sorry folks,

I had to re-arrange my Cayman test drive but I did drive a BMW Z4M Coupe today after seeing it on the BMW approved used site.

I have to concede to feeling pretty underwhelmed by the whole experience. The car did not feel great to drive. There was little in the way of communication from the steering wheel and the engine felt wheezy by comparison to my S3. I also had real issues with the digital clutch pedal that was either on or off! It's quite embarrassing kangarooing away from every set of lights! I'm pretty sure this is down to the fact that the car was fairly new and I'm used to driving a turbocharged car that gives a good kick in the midrange, I've also got close to 100NM more torque.

I really was expecting something special from this car. It certainly looks the part but it just wasn't that urgent and the steering wheel was thicker than my arm! I now fear that the Cayman S is going to feel the same way, but fingers crossed...

Anyone else had a similar experience? I know there are some Z4 owners on here. I had driven the Z4 3.0 previously and I don't remember having any issues with that.

N8KOW said:
I'd rather have a TT-S. Remap and you'll have 320bhp **** all over the cayman

why? does the remap include relocating the engine for better weight distribution?

:lmfao:

I take it you've never driven a boxster or cayman

lmao...:lmfao:

On a serious note however, I do think a remapped TTS will lap a circuit not far off the time set by a Cayman S.

I have driven the 2.0T and 3.2 TT hard on the track and all you get is understeer, followed by a feeling that the chassis is heading in the opposite direction to your seat! Compared with the old car and with the addition of magnetic ride it's fantastic, but be under no illusions, it's not a proper sports car.

For this, a car needs to be developed from the ground up with the drive as the main focus, everything else is just good packaging imho. The TT is developed from the Mk V Golf platform.

The RS4/Evo/M3 are good exceptions to the rule however.

CJP80 said:
Anyone else had a similar experience? I know there are some Z4 owners on here. I had driven the Z4 3.0 previously and I don't remember having any issues with that.

not a Z4 owner but my mate has owned his for a while and he let me borrow his for a week whilst he was away

did about 1.5k miles in it over a variety of roads but the main problem is the run flats - they're just too heavy and kill the handling

would rather have a used Boxster or Cayman than a new Z4

CJP80 said:
lmao...:lmfao:

On a serious not however, I do think a remapped TTS will lap a circuit not far off the time set by a Cayman S.

It will certainly not be as true a drivers car.

TBH lap times don't really translate to road driving unless you really want to shave 0.1s of a sec on your way to Tescos - cars that are good on the track are truly awful on the road

my track car is bearable for the yearly trip to Le Mans but it's not something I regulalry grab by the scruff of the neck and fling around on the road as there's better cars for that

best thing about 987/6s is the turn in speed - try doing the same corner at the same speed in a front engined car and you'll go straight to the scene of an accident