Dip Beam Bulbs, What a nitemare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anybody else

holmefield

Reaction score
Hi all i've just spent 2 yes 2 hours changing the dip beam bulbs in my 1.9 tdi, what a nitemare could audi have made them any harder to change???

The back of the headlight box is right up against god know what so really the only way to change the bulbs is to take the headlights out.Which is what i had to do in the end after trying and skinning my hand god knows how may times.

The screws that hold the headlights in were that tight it bent 2 of my screw drivers, had to use a cordless drill and torque bit in the end.

Well rant over, am i the only one whos had this problem????

I have removed the headlights a few times, the first 10 times is the worst, now I can do it with my eyes closed in no longer than 5 minutes, well Audi screwed up a bit making them like this, but in my brothers passat in order to take the headlights out, the bumper has to come off :) so we're not that bad

Just use the Fine Adjustment Tool, more commonly known as a hammer and go in through the front!,:laugh: Bet thats how you felt anyway after two hours of that!! And I also bet you didnt do the bolts up as tight as the last person!!:banghead:

Taking the headlights out isn't that hard is it? i will have to do it this week when my new LED sidelights arrive.

Taking the headlights out is very easy, there's plenty of threads about it have you seen them?

you say you used a screw drivers ? i used a star bit for mine if iirc and takes a max of ten mins to get both light out.
so i think you was just unlucky mate :yes:

Shane-Ireland you dont need to take the lights out to fit the side lights mate can be done with out that but is a bit fiddly

Last edited:
Sounds a bit strange if it took you that long.

V6 TDI is the worst A4 to work with apparently (least space) and although I intentionally took my time and probably spent about 45-50mins the first time: that was to change both sidelights for LED's but the same principle: both headlights right out.

I know I took <10mins to do the off-side headlights last time I did them and that was in an underground carpark. Driver's side takes around 2mins longer.

I use the proper torq "screw"-heads and a small wrench a bit like this with a nice long extension (longer than the one in the photo!), so the wrench sits clear-above the engine, so no skinned fingers:
This is what I used the first time:
LEDsidelights004.jpg

The cordless screwdriver (drill) is counter-productive in hindsight: I all I use these days is the wrench, both extensions, T-head bit and a stubby Philips-head screwdriver. A torch also really helps unless it's a really bright environment already.

Headlamps out
whole job both sides done in 15minutes tops they are an absolute doddle to do .

I forgot to mention that i lost the spring which holds the bulb in, down inside the front bumper ( doh ) so had to strip loads off to get it back + some idiot had tightened them up that much that my first torque bit rounded after two screw drivers had done the same.

My new side lights will be here this week so there'll be coming out again, hopefully with less stress....

Just fitted my new LED side lights with my new torque bit ( i ordered a full set after my dip beam nightmare ) and manged to do the job both sides in 20 mins.......A hell of a lot easier when you take the headlights out and kinder to your fingers..........