Direct front speaker replacement in A3 8P

thejoose

Reaction score
What size are the stock speakers up front? in an 8P a3?

is it just a case of dropping the door cards of and removing them - I know they are component speakers and apparently have crap baffles but i just want to put something in there (probably a coaxial) that can take a little more power from an uprated HU

They're 6.5" components and should be replaced with 2 way components (ideally not coxials). The tweeters are a pain to replace as they're in the roof/door pillar, but if you leave the stock tweeters I'd still replace the woofers with woofers from some components rather than a full range unit. The baffles in the 8P are excellent as the speakers are mounted to the inner skin rather than the door card. All you need are some spacer rings either by destroying the stock speaker and mounting to the plastic shell from that or making your own MDF ones (like these) which will provide a more solid baffle.
A38Preplacementfront.jpg

Its a company car so cant fiddle with the baffles

The coaxials I have in minde are really components with the tweeter mounted co axially - fitting a component set is too much of a pain so just removing the stock driver and replacing it with a decent set of coaxials will do me fine.

Cheers fro the reply dude - is it just a few bolts along the bottom of the door then unclip the door card?

Sorry to bump and old thread - is it possible just to remove the stock speakers and replace with something else without having to butcher the baffles? i want to remove the stock mid driver and replace. but i want to be able to return it to standard when the lease runs out

would i need mdf baffles if i used some shallow mount speakers?

also how does the factory wiring go? where is the crossover module? Is the wiring to the stock speakers just on spade terminals or are they an audi specific connector

You still need baffles regardless of speaker depth
There is no crossover just an inline capacitor to filter the highs to the tweeter.
They are Audi specific connectors (of course).

Has anyone got any great instructions on how to take the door cards off?

I dont want to break any clips or fixing points!

It's come time to tweak the 5 door 8P and I've been reading threads about front replacements, replacing the sub, etc. I think I have a Concert II and no idea if it's Bose or not. I would like to use my stock HU as I put in a Dension Gateway 5 unit to add Bluetooth/USB/iPod/iPhone. Works great with my steering wheel controls and display. "Hey Siri" works well too. Just looking for cleaner audio and better defined bass. I can remove the door cards, Dynamat the doors, etc. Just need some component recommendations and if I can use the existing amplification system.

My goal is to just replace the front components, replace the rear sub, (building my own FG "stealth" enclosure) so I can keep the trunk (boot) space. Budget is key so the best bang for my "buck" the better.

Brilliant Gazwould. Thank you. I've owned the car since 2009 and didn't have the budget to start upgrades until last year. upgraded suspension; new shocks, coil-overs, bushings, lowered (not slammed), spray dipped the front grill, replaced front orange marker lights w clear lenses. Now onto the audio yet trying to keep the car as "stock looking as possible." Possibly thinking about a chip for the engine management.

2006 A3 FWD 167000km
previous 1989 Land Rover Defender 110 LHD 2.5NA Diesel