DIS Pixel faults

Reaction score
Anyone with what seems to be a common fault of missing pixels on the DIS may be interested in checking out this link www.pixelfehler-hh.de
This link is for a company in Germany who replace the DIS and also offer a 2 year gaurantee with the replacement. Certainly beats paying out for a new dashpod!!! :s3addict:

True i know. Probably better to plan it round a holiday when you won't require the car. Taking the dashpod out is easy enough. If you do a search on the forum for this you'll find instructions. The guy i spoke to says he does the replacement on the same day he recieves the dasjpod and sends it back out. So with the postage times i'd give it 10 days or so

Im going to attempt to fix mine.. i bought a replacement dash off ebay for £25 and it works fine other than that the immobilser kicks in... so i was looking at swapping over just the infomation screen... some fiddly soldering i know... but thats not my problem... to get to the ribbon that connects the screen it looks like i need to remove the needles off the gauges.. trouble is i cant see how they come off... i dont mind damaging the donner pod but obviously i dont want to damage the needles in my pucka dash... has anyone removed the needles before ??? and can give some pointers... excuse the pun

A brand new S3 dash went on ebay last week for £60... very good i thought.

just called these guys.

It costs between £129 - £179 to repair the DIS. That is for taking it out yourself and sending it in.

Extra £40 if you want them to remove and fit.

Cool ta for that link. If mine gets bad if probably go with them as wouldnt trust sending to germany and back

had mine done by cluster repairs,new screen fitted,excellent service,£180 returned,noticed they advertise on ebay on a buy it now price of £140,

did you get a good servie from them millwrx?? I noticed one of their adds on ebay and im planning going for it. my distorted screen is really starting to bug me!!!

does anyone know what actually causes the fault and what is involved for fixing it ?

does anyone know what actually causes the fault and what is involved for fixing it ?

The ribbon which connects the red screen to the circuit board is at fault from reading past threads over the years, the screen never gets damaged, just loses rows or columns due to the ribbon getting loose/knackered? Apparently, just taking it apart and finding something to apply pressure to the ribbon against the circuitboard when you put it back together will fix it??

did you get a good servie from them millwrx?? I noticed one of their adds on ebay and im planning going for it. my distorted screen is really starting to bug me!!!
yes very fast service,3 day turnaround,dash is perfect now,would defo use them again,go for it,

does anyone else think this is poor audi ****? i mean it seems its a BIG common problem on here, just like the roof corrosion and yet audi dont give a ****. shame on you audi!

Yep, but from experience i think all make/models have their common problems and audi tend to have less.

Also i can see why audi dont consider these to be "BIG" problems. As i dont consider these to be "BIG" problems.

benr said:
Also i can see why audi dont consider these to be "BIG" problems. As i dont consider these to be "BIG" problems.

so your happy to shell out £150 - £200 to get your fixed if it goes? just seems to me theres alot of people on this site alone that has the problem.

i worked for pioneer electronics for 10yrs making plasma TV`s and dvd players amongst other hi-fi products and have owned a technics hi-fi to go with my SL 1200`s for 12yrs.

when removing my clocks to take out the LCD, it seems its just a blue and white flexi cable. similiar ones used in plasma tv`s and hi-fi`s. my technics hi-fi LCD has been working perfect since 1996 but yet my cars LCD and most people on here have problems. i thought all companys re-call products if there enough people with the same problem?

would be interesting to no how many people excatly on here alone have got LCD issues.

Probably most people have problems because it's a design flaw, pure and simple. The DIS is subjected to vibration and temperature changes. Audi got it wrong and now it's fixed on the later models.

I don't see the issue here. Sure, nobody wants to shell out cash to fix things, but that's life.

It isn't a big problem on the large scale of things, compared to those nissan 4x4's that throw conrods out of the engine on the motorway. Now that would be a recall case.

You pay your money...etc

Probably most people have problems because it's a design flaw, pure and simple. The DIS is subjected to vibration and temperature changes. Audi got it wrong and now it's fixed on the later models.

so if audi got it wrong then wouldnt they be liable to correct it?

i mean audi also got it wrong with the roof rails and seals they used and thats why the correct it under warranty. i got my roof re-painted for free and the body shop and audi told me it was a fault in parts they used at the time of making.

i agree with your point but it ****** me off that when someone else makes a mistake / fault, you have to pay for it.

ok im gonna get off my soap box now :footy:

But for how long would you want them to be responsible. Yes its a design "flaw" but do you want them to be responsible for ever, its not going to happen.

They give a warranty which i think 3 years is a fair amount of time to expect

I dont like paying for things to be fixed, but at the same time we live in a perfect world.

I also dont think comparing this problem to a hifi lcd is constructive at all as they are used in different environments as HTC has said

The ribbon which connects the red screen to the circuit board is at fault from reading past threads over the years, the screen never gets damaged, just loses rows or columns due to the ribbon getting loose/knackered? Apparently, just taking it apart and finding something to apply pressure to the ribbon against the circuitboard when you put it back together will fix it??

Aye it does mine started off as one line not displaying correctly on the DIS now on cold morning I can virtually read nothing.

Is it an easy fix to take the dash pod out and put pressure on the wire ?
Is there anything I have to be careful of when doing it ?
Also can it be removed without removing the steering wheel ?

As for Audi being responsible for this fault, maybe yes but most of the cars that suffer this problem it happens around the sort of age that my car is (ie 7 years old) how can you expect Audi to know what is going to wear out in 10 years lol.

As for Audi being responsible for this fault, maybe yes but most of the cars that suffer this problem it happens around the sort of age that my car is (ie 7 years old) how can you expect Audi to know what is going to wear out in 10 years lol.

lol yeah true but then again they didnt no about the roof rails being at fault 10yrs ago an yet they honoured that claim. correct?

just to add tho, 10yrs ago a 1999 Audi S3 cost new was £27,095. i bought my house for alittle over that price. so my point was that they wasnt cheap cars. dont think its too much to ask that as there seems to be alot of people with the same problem / issue that the big wigs think "hmm maybe there a fault there"

on another note tho, 10yrs ago they was still selling endowment policies. saying how your pretty much guaranteed to have your motgage paid with money left over for yourself. little did they no back then that in reality you`d be screwed and have a short fall. hence so many people making claims about been miss sold them. "In June 2005, the Financial Ombudsman Service took on cases and 40% of cases were won in the claiments favour"

ok ok that had nothing to do with this query..LOL

I tried repairing mine myself. Bought another set of clocks, took them apart and then I tought .....**** this and bought an S3 instead. Problem fixed for a small sum of..........£6,500 LOL

lol yeah true but then again they didnt no about the roof rails being at fault 10yrs ago an yet they honoured that claim. correct?

just to add tho, 10yrs ago a 1999 Audi S3 cost new was £27,095. i bought my house for alittle over that price. so my point was that they wasnt cheap cars. dont think its too much to ask that as there seems to be alot of people with the same problem / issue that the big wigs think "hmm maybe there a fault there"

on another note tho, 10yrs ago they was still selling endowment policies. saying how your pretty much guaranteed to have your motgage paid with money left over for yourself. little did they no back then that in reality you`d be screwed and have a short fall. hence so many people making claims about been miss sold them. "In June 2005, the Financial Ombudsman Service took on cases and 40% of cases were won in the claiments favour"

ok ok that had nothing to do with this query..LOL

They have a 10 year guarentee on all bodywork thats why, If the hadn't put that in I would bet money on them telling you to **** off if you asked them to repair the paintwork damage caused by this.

So does anyone know if this is a problem with the cable, or whether it is actually a screen issue?

I don't fancy forking out £170, for the repairers to just replace the cable.

Mine has been knackered for 3 years+, and spending money just to see a whole load of inaccurate readings is pointless, so I just switch mine off! Been meaning to do it myself though, just keep forgetting it cause it's switched off.

So does anyone know if this is a problem with the cable, or whether it is actually a screen issue?

Yeah me too but i believe its soldered in place so i guess its not an easy replace.

I would attempt it if i had a spare cluster to experiment on.

well from the general feeling on here it looks like your going to have to pay your money dude. ive had mine in biys and when u pull the LCD screen / glass backwards it reveals the white flexi cable. its solderd along the pcb board and would take a very small iron to remove it.

I was curious so I took mine apart yesterday. The wire is indeed soldered to the board. Couldn't get a photo as I couldn't remove the gauge needles to remove the face that would show the connection to the board better.

Here is a pic of the wire at the glass end. I wondered if I put some more pressure onto the connection, whether it would help. I added some thin card for this after removing the, but it didn't work. The rubber strip comes off and I thought about removing the tape that hold the electrical connector, but then thought better of it. If I can find what exactly causes the problem then I'll fix it. I have no problem with desoldering if that's what's required.

DIS_Connector.jpg