Disable Auto Start/Stop via VCDS

idua3191

Reaction score
I would really love to disable this economy feature but have has no luck trying with the instructions from older models. It burps and farts and I don't believe it saves any fuel.

Thanks

Exactly , lab tested a little to get the bonus figures , real world nothing , then there's the cost of the components it wears out quicker .

No longer possible to disable it permanently using VCDS/OBD11/Carista etc on the latest MLB models. But I've gotten used to doing 2 things immediately after firing up the engine:

1) Turn off start-stop
2) Turn off lane assist

Its now second nature doing the above :)

Reactions: Sean Byrne and mark fox
Auto box on the S7 - Into Sports Mode = Start/Stop disabled :racer:

Not sure why anyone would want to turn this off, better for consumption and better for the environment.

Just put it in Sport Mode, that keeps the engine running. I don’t know why you’d want to disable it permanently, does yours not turn the engine off and let the car coast when you lift off? I think the longest ‘coast’ with the engine off is a few miles on the M62 down the hill from Saddleworth to Rochdale.

Sports mode is louder and burns more energy so I will just have to accept as is. After having an A4, S4, R8V10 SQ5, RS3 and now the S6 I love the power but am not in love with the engine/exhaust sound. My only other complaint would be the that software is slow on start up-reminds me of Windows 8.
I call it a rocket sedan and just love the car!
Enjoy and stay safe everyone.

Not sure why anyone would want to turn this off, better for consumption and better for the environment.
I’ve had it a few times on a hill where I’ve pressed the accelerator to pull away and I’ve rolled back before the engine starts again, nearly hit the car behind me.

Myths about the start stop system are plenty and that video shows a complete lack of knowledge about how the systems are designed and operate and have no factual basis. It's almost laughable.
Having all our cars idling whilst stationary is not good for the environment neither is is good for our health, with little to do with economy..

I’ve had it a few times on a hill where I’ve pressed the accelerator to pull away and I’ve rolled back before the engine starts again, nearly hit the car behind me.
Do you not have the auto handbrake ativated? Also you can restart the engine by tapping the accelerator pedal before you want to move off so the starting up and moving off are not undertaken as a single process

Myths about the start stop system are plenty and that video shows a complete lack of knowledge about how the systems are designed and operate and have no factual basis. It's almost laughable.
Having all our cars idling whilst stationary is not good for the environment neither is is good for our health, with little to do with economy..

OK , here's a mechanics view which echos Steve Cresswell's aka Crasher a VAG indi of 32 years .

Thank God all I had to do is pull a fuse...

Do you not have the auto handbrake ativated? Also you can restart the engine by tapping the accelerator pedal before you want to move off so the starting up and moving off are not undertaken as a single process
I find it to jerky so I don’t use it.

This hack works on my Merc and Porsche Cayman with no issues and works on my recently acquired Mk3 2015 TT coupe. Disconnect the sensor attached to the negative battery clamp.

Last edited:
Not on your Palladium silver Merc C204 with Ronal 18" alloys it doesn't Rob , you lose brake HOLD !

Of course you do Gazwould, it didn`t bother me as I never used or trusted it, if you watched the youtube vid it informs as much. As far as the Mk3 TT goes, everything works other than stop/start including electric hand brake and parking brake, the alternator also charges at a standard 14.2 volts as it did prior to the implementation of stop/start and the battery sensor. Without the sensor in play there is now no need to register the battery at change and it will now last at least double the length of time it would have if stop/start were functional. There is also the benefit of less wear on the timing chain as most stress is at startup when overcoming the moment of inertia.:icon thumright::icon thumright:

With the Merc 204's just pull the 7.5A fuse that's on the auxiliary battery , SS permanently deactivated and everything else works , I love brake HOLD .

Ran like this for several months now and only yesterday took out the auxiliary battery for good , saved 5kg and it's worth something secondhand to the plentiful Merc OCD types who absolutely have to have a feature working even if it's fit for the bin .

That`s a good hack, never thought of loosing the battery, with the disconnect hack though you also get rid of smart charging, this is a real asset if you only use the car for short journey`s as the alternator is then always on continuous charging as in days prior to Stop/start. This ensures the battery is always fully charged at all times, my journey`s in the Merc were mainly local, battery is 8 years old and still takes a full charge. Two good hacks here, odd that my Mk3 TT is not adversely effected in any way with the hack, no warning lights nothing.