Disable keyless entry

Bonstio

Reaction score
I tire of keeping my key(s) in foil / metal boxes :(

I think I would like to disable keyless entry. Can this be done via some setting or OBD2 app? i.e. without visiting a dealer.

Thanks.

Not sure if you know already but if you lock it with the key and then press the button on the handle to lock it like you would with keyless - it will disable keyless until you next unlock it with the key.

Reactions: Bonstio
Not sure if you know already but if you lock it with the key and then press the button on the handle to lock it like you would with keyless - it will disable keyless until you next unlock it with the key.
Really? That's AWESOME. I'll try it. Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ellski

Does it stop the key fob from transmitting then? After all, it’s what Thieves are scanning for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

get an auto-watch ghost fitted!! stops them being able to clone the key or even physically steal the key and take the car.

Reactions: Terminator x
Yeah just get ghost... problem, solution

What sort of cost is the Ghost system to install, and Is there ongoing monthly costs.

£399 one off payment I believe

But surely if they wanted your car, they will just hold you at knife point for the code to start it once they realise it has one fitted?

But surely if they wanted your car, they will just hold you at knife point for the code to start it once they realise it has one fitted?

It takes a certain kind of someone to do this, and unfortunately there isn’t anything you can do to battle someone that is willing to go that far to take your car. Best thing to do is make it a little easier for them to do so...which means keys downstairs and no ghost feature

It takes a certain kind of someone to do this, and unfortunately there isn’t anything you can do to battle someone that is willing to go that far to take your car. Best thing to do is make it a little easier for them to do so...which means keys downstairs and no ghost feature

Yeah fair point, it'll prevent opportunist thieves. May do a bit of research on the product for peace of mind as it's always a worry.

Newspaper scaremongering and/or a rare event. Most thieves want the easy option so will leave if the scan simply doesn't work.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: D0C
I deactivate keyless every time via the door handle. Oh and I have a big dog guarding the keys :D

Well I e had my car for a year & a half and noons has pulled a knife on me. Also my mate had it fitted to his AMG. House broken into and tried to knick it. Ghost saved the day & he was in London. His misses came home later that evening found the keys next to the car. Best £399 spent for think it was scallies looking for a joy ride!

Keyless can be disabled (just the four doors) by VCDS.

There is also a way to disable it completely but still use the engine start button feature, however you have to hold the fob close to the interior sensor to allow the ignition button to power on.

What sort of cost is the Ghost system to install, and Is there ongoing monthly costs.

mine was £350 for the install and that is it, no further cost.

Reactions: sve170
get an auto-watch ghost fitted!! stops them being able to clone the key or even physically steal the key and take the car.
Cut the red power wire & the Ghost is gone
As with all CAN-BUS Immobilizers there are only a couple of locations that installers choose & usually it's an easy access point, so you're wasting your pennies.

As with all CAN-BUS Immobilizers there are only a couple of locations that installers choose & usually it's an easy access point, so you're wasting your pennies.
How do you know this?

I get an OBD adapter for a few euros.

It disables the obd port completely as without the adapter nobody can plug anything to the car.

Therefore they cant connect any diagnostic tool to start the car or anything.

Depends who installs it though.

A shoddy install will be found.

Someone who knows and cares about installs will bury it.

Lol show some links to many cars stolen that had Ghost installed then.

TX.

Lol show some links to many cars stolen that had Ghost installed then.
Given how many have been fitted I don't think it is a huge number but there have been some better known ones like the ex-Volkswizard silver car.

I think if they find it then the method of disabling is easily available but I won't link that here. As @8YARWY says if they are lazy and fit it somewhere accessible then it is game over. Unfortunately even getting it fitted at the head office does not guarantee it being well fitted.

I think the transmission lock is the most use as it is likely to confuse them if they can get it started but can't move.

Reactions: 8YARWY
Just wondering... do you lock the car with the key in the drivers door then press the lock button or... hold the car key turned to lock the door and press the button while the key is turned? I am 99% sure i am over thinking this !

Just wondering... do you lock the car with the key in the drivers door then press the lock button or... hold the car key turned to lock the door and press the button while the key is turned? I am 99% sure i am over thinking this !
Yes you are over thinking it!

Lock the car with the button on the remote, then touch the door handle as if locking it keylessly, you will hear a faint click as if you lock a locked car. I think there is a time limit between the two.

I do it most times, second nature :thumbs up:

Reactions: S3 Paul
Aside from the faraday pouch approach: Lock the car using the key blade in the drivers door lock with anti-clockwise quarter turn (1980s style before key fob buttons existed) and keyless is disabled until next unlock by key fob press - prevents relay thefts, as does @flybynignt lock & touch door handle sensor advice in post above.

Per previous posts, all anyone can do is make your car a less attractive target and/or higher likelihood of being caught: whether that be by Ghost, krooklock/Disklock, microdot on components, OBD port protection, driveway bollard, Tracker or whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdp1962