DMF or SMF for the S3

fuzion

Reaction score
Opinions and Experiences is what im after.

The car, S3 at stage2+ or whatever you guys call it there (330/340hp if that helps)

Can the LUK DMF & Sachs Perf Clutch hold up enough? Does it like launches at all on occasion? (clearly not always and any launch on the awd will cause wear obviously).

the LOBA SMF kit is the other choice.. curious to what people think for this kit, and if anyone is running this kit in day to day driving as i live in the CBD of Sydney as do a lot of city driving.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Last edited:
The LUK DMF and Sachs is good for a bit over 400lbs so it will certainly last until you're looking for a big turbo.

The clutch should be bedded in for a thousand miles before heavy use or you'll ruin it and obviously lots if drag starts will kill it.

If you have to do that then a Spec Stg3+ like the one I have would fit the bill but it's not going to like being slipped around town.

It's all a matter of the best overall compromise and below Stg3,my money would be on the Sachs.

Reactions: fuzion
Hi guys hektor will say the same as alex :)

I cant look past the loba clutches. The quality is first class and having sold them and used them in customer cars and my own 650bhp car the not only take the abuse but are very useable around town. There organic clutch is a joy to use, the sintered one i have is perfect for me, it bites a little more and is slightly heavier than stock but i prefer this as i get more feedback when doing a launch or flat shifting its the best non organic clutch ive used.

With a clutch its always a good idea to over kill especially if you plan more mods or give the car abuse, no point fitting a lesser clutch to have to replace it next year, i learnt my lesson.

Hope this helps.

With a clutch its always a good idea to over kill especially if you plan more mods or give the car abuse, no point fitting a lesser clutch to have to replace it next year, i learnt my lesson.

Hope this helps.
That's really good advice.

I found the Sachs organic was excellent up to Stg3 and around 440lbs and after that the current Spec carbon/metallic is,like yours,just superb.

I also now have the "security" of knowing that my gearbox would break before the clutch did!

That's really good advice.

I found the Sachs organic was excellent up to Stg3 and around 440lbs and after that the current Spec carbon/metallic is,like yours,just superb.

I also now have the "security" of knowing that my gearbox would break before the clutch did!

I always buy bigger than better than i need as i always know it wont be long until im using it to its full capacity. I know that feeling! the weakest part of my whole car is now the bottom end and the gearbox lol everything else is spec'd to run 700bhp+

I know loba are conservative on most of the figures they attach to their products, for example a few guys i i know are running 750nm+ and are using the loba 650nm organic clutch and they are far from gentle on it, plus they have done decent mileage on it so it is holding well, i assume the s3 clutch will be the same or go for the sintered one as that will take even more.

I know about the spec parts, before i started my company i was looking into them along with southbend etc and the research i done turned up some bad reviews of failed clutches and ill fitting etc etc but from my understanding they have improved alot of their range and have stepped their game up. If a customer requested a spec clutch i would not hesitate in getting one ordered up, but i will always recommend loba as i know their products really well and having used their turbos, clutch & flywheel, intake pipes etc etc I know they do exactly as they say they do plus they stand behind their products 100%