Do all a3's have brake wearing sensors?

dkingy11

SQ5 & A4 Allroad
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if all a3's have brake wearing sensors or selected models? mine is 04 reg tdi140 and ive been told they need replacing but no warning on dash!:uhm:

Yeap... most cars if not all have a brake warning signal on the dashboard... Even my old Pug 205 could tell me when I was almost in the steel...

Things is... brake pads usually get changed before signal actually comes on.... and that is not a bad thing...

Pedro

thanks! just got advisary note with MOT stating that i need pads changing. which would i require as the garage said there is a few to choose from, depending on size of discs,brake sensors etc. ??

My (VW - Touran) stealer told me last week the rear pads are OK, no problems: as 'we advise at 60% worn' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess some owners wait for the warning and then keep driving? This was because I thought there was no meat on them - they must be much thinner than the front pads to start with......

Good news - I thought I was up for pads soon!

most wear indicators come on fairly early. The problem arises when you have uneven brake wear, one pad can be worn right down and the opposing pad can be fine. If that's the pad that hasn't the wear indicator on it you can wreak your disc.

IIRC, the minimum thickness for a pad to pass an MOT is 1.5 mil, so I'd expect the indicator to come on long before that.

I'd take a look myself, wheels off is a 5 min affair for piece of mind against what's needing done and not getting ripped off.

BTW, my 1998 A3 1.8 doesnt have any wear indicators...

thanks for info khufu. going to have a look at the weekend and see whats going on! cheers!