Do I stay with Audi or Switch to Porsche??

Which would you have?

• Total voters
Thought i'd come and give my thoughts having cancelled my RS3 order for a new Cayman S. Firstly the two cars aren't really comparable, the RS3 is 'another fast Audi' it's not a great handling car but is very quick and a lot of fun. But it is one of the best cars if you've got kids or need something that can cope with bad weather.

The Cayman (any version) is simply one of the best handling cars on the market.. period. It's also a fast car, despite what people who just look at the 0-60 times say, the six cylinder delivers power in a totally different way to the turbo 5 pot, it's a monster. Also, the PSE (sports exhaust), is a must have if you like loud cars, but it's a very loud car anyway.. there was a chart over on a porsche forum listing the db levels for some supercars, turns out the cayman with pse is louder than a v10 R8! Also, for some reason (which i can explain over pm if you like) the car is loudest when specced with PSE and the sport chrono pack.

For me the cayman is the perfect car, it gets a massive amount of attention and is amazing to drive (and look at). It's not without it's shortfalls however, it's not great in the wet, it's low so you have to be a bit careful and the sound system is awful (I have bose). Boot space is actually very good as you get a massive front boot as well as the rear hatch. Oh and you don't want to know how much the tyres are!

Unfortunately you'll struggle to get a 981 allocation of any kind at the moment

If you want to pm me any questions then i'll happily answer them

FX2A5463_zpswvko9raf.jpg

FX2A5464_zpsqxmzqwy1.jpg

FX2A5575_zpszl4lh8kn.jpg

IMG_0367_zps4iy1fdfv.jpg

Damn was hoping you wouldn't pop along Ali...those pics alone have just fudged my head up again...hahaha

I think if i go porsche then am going to go down the "Porsche Approved" used route. Just now to try find one with PSE,PDK & Sport chrono. Lol.

I am not fussy for music system of any sorts, my commute is going to be approx 4miles each way to work. So driving through the town i will want to hear the car more than anything.

I am fortunate that i don't and won't be having children. So boot space and practicality isn't an issue for me. As long as Gym bag and footie boots fit then that's me sorted.

With my yearly mileage going to be less than 5k then hopefully tires won't be too much of an issue. But i am aware servicing and general running costs are greater but that doesn't bother me....too much.. lol

Cheers

I've had 4 Boxsters (all versions) and then a manual Cayman with PSE.

Used to commute 150-miles per day, so the last Boxster and Cayman got a pretty good work-out.

- In terms of usability, neither car presented any problem, rain, floods or shine, although I used to draw the line at snow.
- All perfectly comfortable on 19"s.
- PSE is insane. I used to sit on the drive revving the Cayman for giggles.
- Handling and driver involvement/feedback was good in the Boxster, but the Cayman took it to another level. You would never accuse a Boxster of being wobbly, with sloppy steering, but the Cayman felt like 50% more connected. Just awesome.

So, now I have an S3. Performance is great, handling is safe, practicality is good.... and with an RS3 you get the crazy soundtrack.

Ultimately its horses for courses though.....

Can 2-seats work? Will you always default to another family car for sensible duties? What do you value most in the ownership proposition?

IMHO, driving a Porsche is always special and more rewarding. Fast Audi's are fast, but you always need to compensate for the over-high "utility score" :)

Reactions: AndyB-S3 and Spaceman_RS3
get the porsche man and stop ******* about. you don't need the extra doors or much of a boot and being stuck in the house the few days a year its snows is a jackpot lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TheFiftheElement, alijnclarke, AndyB-S3 and 1 other person
get the porsche man and stop ******* about. you don't need the extra doors or much of a boot and being stuck in the house the few days a year its snows is a jackpot lol

Lol :)

Like my old maths teacher used to say, when in doubt, simplify ;)

Reactions: lucas-suisse, Spaceman_RS3 and AndyB-S3
id be sitting with a v8 vantage in the garage if id didn't have a 3yo and one due just before the rs3. been seriously considering banning the rs3 and picking up a rs4 but wife car will do most baby duties.

Oooh that's another added to the list..haha..

worst thing about choosing a next car....am currently in Dubai so a nice car goes past an am like.. ooh could have that. .then the next one goes past and like oooh like that too.. haha my list is up to 100 now. Haha

Did hear a boxster with what looked like the pse tho.. sounded mint!! ;)

I guess by my Avatar, you know which way I'm going to suggest you go ...

Apart from price, I'm not sure you can compare the 2 cars, one is a from ground up designed mid engine sports car, and one is a hatchback with a powerful engine.

If it's purely about speed, the RS3 will be quicker, and comes with the additional advantage of being more useable in all conditions. It's more practical, more discreet and has a lovely 5 pot growl, which elevates it above a bog standard 4 pot turbo. For day to day use that's probably the only thing that would distinguish it from it's baby brother (S3) though. It's not as if the S3 is slow, but the 5 cylinder gives it a little bit of character.

For me though, the RS3 is still a hatchback with a powerful engine. Whether that's a good thing is up to you.

There's no comparison in terms of drama, and the Porsche (especially the Boxster) is more of an experience at any speed. For example, when I take my car into work on the odd day, when I took the S3, I may as well have been in a 1.4 TSi especially with S-tronic. No difference really in the cabin, engine quiet, changes gear at 1,900 revs, pretty dull stuff. The Porsche however, roof down, 6 pot howling (I have the GT carnewal exhaust) is fun at any speed.

It was fine it the wet/cold/snow at the weekend, it has no problems with speed bumps or potholes (I have the fixed suspension) and we were away this weekend, so had the rear boot filled with luggage. Needing food shopping on the way home, so used the frunk. It's really practical for a 2 seater. I've been camping before in a previous Boxster with tent, sleeping bags, food and easily managed to pack all we needed.

I have absolutely no interest in what people think of a grey haired 43 year old man in a Boxster. If I was that concerned of other peoples opinions I wouldn't get out of bed. I find people are courteous usually and with the roof down you can make eye contact, and give a wave of thanks to people more easily when they let you out at junctions etc. Most comments are positive, and you always get admiring glances at petrol station or when I pick my daughter up at school.

When I was thinking of trading my S3, and drove the Boxster it took me about 200 yards and the first corner, to realize that the Porsche is a sports car and the S3 a normal hatchback. It felt connected, alive, responsive and instantly put a grin on my face.

My car is pretty basic, apart from PDK. I have Bose (it's actually not bad), heated seats, cruise and rear parking sensors and that's about it. I have no driving modes, suspension modes, gearbox modes, can't plug my iPhone in anywhere, and to be honest it's all the better for it. It's just a well sorted sports car.

Go an drive both, back to back if you can, and see which one makes you smile the most.

Reactions: CraigI, Bristle Hound and AndyB-S3
Aye what he said get the Porsche Cayman

Reactions: AndyB-S3 and xBox
Aye what he said get the Porsche Cayman

Forgot to mention one of the biggest differences between Cayman and Boxster, other than the obvious, is having the feeling of an engine in the cabin with you.

Most mid-engines cars have a fire-wall, divider or something, but with the Cayman its just under a carpet cover.

How much more connected can you get :hi:

Reactions: AndyB-S3
Mate has just done something similar....moved from 2015 JCW MINI to Cayman S. 61 plate, 20,000 miles but with almost every option box ticked and in as new condition as far as I could tell. £38k with new tyres, new discs and 2 year Porsche warrenty. Just on another level to my S3. Noise is epic.....

Look at the Black Edition versions as they have awesome spec and have the engine from the R version (slightly more power). PDK is a must IMO.

Pic I took of my mates
24f466042e8f9d75126871cb336a4d6e.jpg
b13c1e72246bd68d68a68adb692650aa.jpg

Reactions: Bristle Hound and AndyB-S3
love the pics of the white which look amazing ! .... but the black does not work on the Cayman IMO, especially all black.

this car looks stunning !!!

FX2A5575_zpszl4lh8kn.jpg

Reactions: Ozmosis, Bristle Hound, xBox and 1 other person
Its not the colour that makes it look stunning, its because its the new'n :footy:

My Cayman was black btw :gun2:

ah right - yes that would be a factor then.

maybe the pic of the black one was at a funny angle, or poor lighting ... I'm sure it does look just as good :yes:

s15_0850_fine_0.jpg

Reactions: AndyB-S3 and xBox
ah right - yes that would be a factor then.

maybe the pic of the black one was at a funny angle, or poor lighting ... I'm sure it does look just as good :yes:

s15_0850_fine_0.jpg

184465249f2e19773c.jpg

Reactions: AndyB-S3 and Snake Pliskin
I think my next car will be a Cayman. I just think they're brilliant cars - and not that impractical because the boots (2 of them) are actually very big! Do bear in mind, though, that the new one is coming out in the Spring!

I went to a Porsche dealer over the weekend for a poke around - started up a GTS w/ sports exhaust and it is MONSTROUS. Best sound I've heard on a car (and the dealer thinks the 981.2 Cayman will be straight 6, still). Also he says that he still has allocation for 981.1s, up until March.

this car looks stunning !!!

FX2A5575_zpszl4lh8kn.jpg

Cheers! I absolutely love it

Best sound I've heard on a car (and the dealer thinks the 981.2 Cayman will be straight 6, still). Also he says that he still has allocation for 981.1s, up until March.
The 981.2 will 100% be a turbo 4 pot, had that confirmed by Porsche when I bought mine, so that'll keep values of the flat 6 versions high (hopefully).

However all of the GT cars (ie the GT4) will remain NA, so no turbos there!... I have my name down for a GT4 RS if it's ever made, otherwise i'll be going for a GT3 in two years, as long as the girlfriend doesn't expect a wedding ha.

Edit: I had a black one with gloss black wheels as a demo car, it looked very 'footballer' but I loved it! I'm told black is the most popular colour followed by white. So can't go wrong with either!

Reactions: Ozmosis and Snake Pliskin
Cheers! I absolutely love it

The 981.2 will 100% be a turbo 4 pot, had that confirmed by Porsche when I bought mine, so that'll keep values of the flat 6 versions high (hopefully).

My mistake - I meant he thought the GTS might retain a straight 6 (though also "confirmed" that the regular and the S will be turbo 4s, you're quite right).

Am going to see this when I get home... love it.. ;-)..

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201506284727149

It's all sounding more positive for the porsche now. Lol..

Did you get a new job away from the oil industry then?
I presume so, as around a month ago you were wobbling about that and talking about downgrading.
Oil industry is not in a good place and won't be for the foreseeable, going to take a couple of years to get anywhere near recovering.
Car looks good though, so if your employment concerns have gone, go for it!

I currently own a 2014 Porsche Cayman, I've owned it from new and absolutely love it, my previous car was a Scirocco R and I've got to admit I miss the turbo from my Scirocco.

I saw you mention that you are not worried about practicality, i'm the same I was 28 when I brought my Cayman and i'm 30 now, I have no kids and just me and my girlfriend to worry about and I still find the Cayman an impractical car! and its one of the reasons why i'm changing to an RS3. You won't realise how much you need them back seats and extra space until its gone!

My mistake - I meant he thought the GTS might retain a straight 6 (though also "confirmed" that the regular and the S will be turbo 4s, you're quite right).
If they do that would would be great, but usually the GTS versions are just the S with a few of the popular options and a different engine map. To be honest i hope Porsche change their mind totally and keep the 6.. but doubtful I guess :bye:

Did you get a new job away from the oil industry then?
I presume so, as around a month ago you were wobbling about that and talking about downgrading.
Oil industry is not in a good place and won't be for the foreseeable, going to take a couple of years to get anywhere near recovering.
Car looks good though, so if your employment concerns have gone, go for it!

Hi Craig, yeah managed to get a new job. Found out on Friday before i left for my holiday on Saturday so all good!! Taken a wee drop in wages but not much but seeing as it's in town now and not 20miles away then should save a wee bit on fuel etc so that will help.

Hardest part about going for this car is getting the wife on board. She wants a new car 1st so that's what am up against..lol.

Hi Daz, thanks for letting me know. The wife currently has a tt so that's a little more practical. However she wants a new car soon and funnily enough has been looking at Scirocco's. So if we ever need practical will take her car. Lol.
I think I will have a decision the week i come back when i hopefully get to test drive both cars back to back.
And then..probably go and test drive others i have posted up here and have a sore head again..haha

If they do that would would be great, but usually the GTS versions are just the S with a few of the popular options and a different engine map. To be honest i hope Porsche change their mind totally and keep the 6.. but doubtful I guess :bye:

I agree, but am just trusting that Porsche wouldn't release something that wasn't satisfactory to its customers. I think the new turbo 911 range still sounds very good, but hoping they can work some magic on the 4-pots.

If companies like Audi and so on can produce small engined turbos with linear power delivery and good sound, but also get good MPG, then that's just great. Reviews of the 911 (and other high performance turbos) seem to suggest they're getting their with the driving side of things, but we just need the acoustics to follow - a 40+ MPG Cayman GTS would be very welcome indeed! It certainly makes the idea of buying a big V8 from the early 2000s, and which gets you barely more than 10 MPG, seem a little hard to stomach...

I had the Cayman R and it was fantastic. The only problem is that it wasn't suited to the UK weather as it rains 95% of the time.

I think people are exaggerating the relative benefits and pitfalls of 4WD/RWD on the road. A Cayman, or an M2 or whatever, will have WAY more grip and traction than a little Nissan Micra, Daewoo Matiz, Ford Fiesta, Fiat 500 etc. etc. - and plenty of them are driven round every day in the rain without crashing off the road.

I dread to think how some people are driving on public roads if you're constantly drifting round corners and so on!

Reactions: TheFiftheElement, alijnclarke and AndyB-S3
I think people are exaggerating the relative benefits and pitfalls of 4WD/RWD on the road. A Cayman, or an M2 or whatever, will have WAY more grip and traction than a little Nissan Micra, Daewoo Matiz, Ford Fiesta, Fiat 500 etc. etc. - and plenty of them are driven round every day in the rain without crashing off the road.

I dread to think how some people are driving on public roads if you're constantly drifting round corners and so on!

Just make sure you don't 'accidentally catch' the accelerator when going round a roundabout! :friendly wink:

Reactions: AndyB-S3 and RMJ891

All down to skill, judgement, discipline and intent..... particularly the later in terms of how you plan to use the performance.

So, while a small engine car doesn't have the power/torque to get you into immediate trouble, given time, it will most certainly allow you to gain enough speed to overstep the bounds of physics, leading to some form of deceleration trauma.

Anything can be kept tidy on the road, rain or shine, so can anything get really messy, really quick :cold:

That's in my top 5. Would really love 1 but will wait till i can get a Stradale for the right money.. lol

That's a spot on post. I had my Boxster out in the frost and snow at the weekend, and I didn't die, and managed to negotiate a short drive without careering off the road at the first corner and going up in a ball of flames. It's pretty predictable, and when the rear end came out a bit at 5 mph at a particularly off camber icy bit, a little steering correction brought it back into line.

Always drive to the conditions, if it's wet, slow down and don't be an idiot around the bends. A Boxster has weight over/near the driving wheels so isn't that bad for traction, get winter tyres and it will be fine, and more than likely better than any front engined RWD car.

I've had a number of cars, FWD, RWD, 4WD, haldex etc. and the worst in the snow was my JCW mini, which took me 40 mins to get into a car park one day. All over the place. That's what 4mm of tread depth with a run flat sports tyre does for you lol ..

Drivers cause crashes, not cars in general (unless there's a serious malfunction somewhere).

Reactions: RGBARGEE
That's a spot on post. I had my Boxster out in the frost and snow at the weekend, and I didn't die, and managed to negotiate a short drive without careering off the road at the first corner and going up in a ball of flames. It's pretty predictable, and when the rear end came out a bit at 5 mph at a particularly off camber icy bit, a little steering correction brought it back into line.

Always drive to the conditions, if it's wet, slow down and don't be an idiot around the bends. A Boxster has weight over/near the driving wheels so isn't that bad for traction, get winter tyres and it will be fine, and more than likely better than any front engined RWD car.

I've had a number of cars, FWD, RWD, 4WD, haldex etc. and the worst in the snow was my JCW mini, which took me 40 mins to get into a car park one day. All over the place. That's what 4mm of tread depth with a run flat sports tyre does for you lol ..

Drivers cause crashes, not cars in general (unless there's a serious malfunction somewhere).

Of course you can drive any car in snow even a McLaren P1 but is it worth it? The height of the car and ANY sportcar is usually the problem not that you can`t drive it or it has no grip and so on ..... probably no problem with that. At least these countries that have snow.

Just asked the bloke if i can just drive this home instead of flying..haha

09702e2125be50dbf63a679b4b809a39.jpg

Hey, no not yet. Just back late last night and now am sitting waitin on a courtesy car in audi. Car is still not fixed!! ;-(