Do you ever feel old?

Raiden

Reaction score
Not that I am that old at 33 but I felt it today.

My niece was getting picked up from my place by her mates and the lad driving has just brought himself a Golf MK5 GTI. Looking round it,it had quite a few battle scars and all the wheels curbed but hey we where all young once and thought our motors where tasty even tho they where a bit pony.

I said to him nice set of wheels you got there. Your not going to modify this one like your last shed are you? He said yep I have already started and he revved it up. Sounded like a bag of spanners!!!!

She jumps in the back and I told him DONT be speeding or driving like Jensen Button otherwise you will get a slap. As I said it I thought to myself I sound like my dad (cringe)

They left and my wife says to me the kid is such a muppet and looks a right prat in it. I said to her your right but I must of looked a right NOB in my MK3 GTI at 22.

I'm glad iv'e grow up a bit

Reactions: xpoweruk, Scottyg, THQuattro and 5 others
Haha good thread. Just out of curiosity, what has he done to the car?

I suppose you feel that way because it's someone you care about getting into a car driven by someone you don't necessarily trust and I reckon most people will feel that way at any age I reckon.

As for the MK3 GTI would you say it was battered like this lads MK5 GTi? Don't know why but I reckon a MK3 GTI has more of a bad boy image than a mk5 for some reason. A bit like the E30 BMWs. My mechanic has about 3 mk3s, he is Veedub mad!

Reactions: Sandra and Raiden
His golf has got a K & N induction kit and exhaust system along with a load of chavvy stickers all over it (face palm) he has plans to lower it. But the stickers are not hiding the dents

My old golf wasn't to shabby. Lucky for me my dad was a engineer so he always modded my cars when he was alive. It had a K & N panel filter,magnex exhaust,G max suspension along with TSW wheels with Yokohama rubber and a phat sound system. Everyone loved my pimp wagon tho we never pulled in it .

I even had a respray on it the first few months of ownership to get rid of all the stone chips and a few scratches.

I loved that car and had it about 3 and a half years. Some prat keyed one night outside work and I just fell out of love with it. Think the reg was K573 MGJ??? My first real descent car as I had a lot of sheds before that

Reactions: Sandra
Yep, of course I do, but then at 54, I have been around longer than a few of you. Age is relative, it's a number, do we feel it, short answer is no.
There will be times in your life when the inner 17 year old takes over and there will be times when you should have known better.
Yes, there are things every day that bring home the age thing, some young dude at work doing something stupid, some idiot in a 1.2 Corsa thinking they're going to have that Audi, my Grandsons, and the oldest getting his first mobile phone.
I stand at the bottom of a mountain and I wonder "how long will it take", not "can I". I jump on the MTB and I wonder "how far", not "bu88er that".

Stay young at heart and fit on the outside.
Works for me.

Reactions: B_FUR, Bristle Hound, Scottyg and 3 others
Oh lord yes.not in the brain but the body is stiffening up.im 43 and gave myself hardship(and still do)20 odd years working in sawmills lugging timber,along with me and the old man flipping cars on their side to whip the drive train out.takes its toll.been told i only look between 33-37 tho.

Reactions: Gill ZB, Sandra and Jake 61
I can't stand to look at the photos of my old Polo and... wait for it... Fiat Bravo from when I was 17-18. It's not so bad in the city but when I visit my parents I lads doing the same thing I did and I have to have a chuckle and reminisce.

My 69-year old RS3copilot taking our 4.1/2 year old RS3 out to dry the brakes; try asking her if she feels old...

Reactions: Scottyg, Ghost, Jake 61 and 2 others
Oh lord yes.not in the brain but the body is stiffening up.im 43 and gave myself hardship(and still do)20 odd years working in sawmills lugging timber,along with me and the old man flipping cars on their side to whip the drive train out.takes its toll.been told i only look between 33-37 tho.
Ha ha yeah it's great when someone thinks you're younger than you are! i was talking about my beloved Cortina I got in 1987 aged 20- at work the other day and showing the lads the pics - they're only in their 20s - and you could see them working out how old I was haha - one of them said I was 8 years older than his mam but looked younger - not having the stress of kids has its advantages :tearsofjoy:! Being older has advantages like cheaper car insurance and I think you learn to assess driving situations better - but every now and then the boy/girl racer in us all appears - I know it was childish to burn off the kid in the corsa at the lights ...but hey - I've had to wait till I'm 48 to do it !!:tearsofjoy: Still miss my Cortina....

Reactions: devo, 45bvtc and Jake 61
Oh dear ...feeling really old now - looking for the New Order cd Technique that I had back in the day ....went into that games PC place that exchanges/buys games DVD etc - after ratching around I asked the youth where the CDs were - he said looking at me in horror!.."oh we don't do those anymore' ....I retreated muttering about my Audi still having a CD player!!!! I dont understand mp3s or I players - I only want to listen to Absolute 80s on digital or play my old fashioned CDs hahaha!!!!!

Reactions: Scottyg
I feel old most days, but defo dont act it, its funny when I say my age in the workplace as nobody believes it as they think im at least 10 years younger, its even better now when some of the new wave of trainees come in and I end up saying things like 'I'm old enough to be your dad', when they walk in and say 'alright son' to me!!!

Had the garage door up recently when a spotty youth comes to the door selling something and the first words out of his mouth were "does yer son let you drive that?" :sadlike:

Does yes son let you drive that 2

Reactions: Raiden, Jake 61, Bristle Hound and 7 others
Hahaha!!!! Not much you can say to that in return!!!

The one expressive word I did say to him I'll not present here, but I did show him around the car and let him sit in the seat behind the steering wheel and crack the 5-pot up and the guy was megga happy, and that made me happy too.

Have to say, he was one of the first who actually recognised the car as an RS3, most others generally ask "what sort of Audi is that?"

Still don't know what he was selling...
THUMBS UP

Reactions: Nilz and Gill ZB
The one expressive word I did say to him I'll not present here, but I did show him around the car and let him sit in the seat behind the steering wheel and crack the 5-pot up and the guy was megga happy, and that made me happy too.

Have to say, he was one of the first who actually recognised the car as an RS3, most others generally ask "what sort of Audi is that?"

Still don't know what he was selling... View attachment 88663
Hahaha! He probably forgot what he was selling ! How nice of you though - he's probably still talking about it - ashamed to say I looked at the pic and thought "what kind of Audi is that?!" Haha!!! Love the colour too!

Reactions: 45bvtc
Hahaha! He probably forgot what he was selling ! How nice of you though - he's probably still talking about it - ashamed to say I looked at the pic and thought "what kind of Audi is that?!" Haha!!! Love the colour too!

I/we love the machine, Gill ZB; have done since day #1 in October 2011; a perfect package for us; and are happy to 'carefully' share

Posted on ASN is a photo of the car's first outing in Newcastle on 12th September 2011 and even Baggy got the colour wrong....

BAGEY 2a

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/rs3-discussion-thread.107448/page-18

You'll see my reaction a few pages later when I realised that that car was now mine.....

Reactions: Gill ZB
im totally clueless - first time Audi owner and not familiar with all the models ..on here to learn - from the comments I guess yours is a limited edition ....im realising that Audi owners keep their cars longer than the average ford or Vauxhall etc owner would ?..I am so totally in love with my TT that I think it's till death do us part !!!

im totally clueless - first time Audi owner and not familiar with all the models ..on here to learn - from the comments I guess yours is a limited edition ....im realising that Audi owners keep their cars longer than the average ford or Vauxhall etc owner would ?..I am so totally in love with my TT that I think it's till death do us part !!!

We love our TT too, Gill ZB; his and hers or ours and ours...

SHORADE P1000112mod

No need to be clueless here as we all have been at some time but lots of assistance and enthusiasm here on ASN

As for my limited edition; not quite, but it is still advertised though no longer for sale here:
http://www.dkeng.co.uk/Vehicle_Archive/219/Audi_RS3.html

Reactions: Jake 61, Sandra and Gill ZB
I've had great advice on such a lot already - the TT looks like mine - is it a Mk 2? ...Soz to be so ignorant - I'm also having to relearn driving as other drivers attitudes are appalling - I've driven fords since I was 20 in the 80s and a punto for past 9 years - and never encountered such mean driving or abuse - I indicate, I flash people out, I thank them, I slow down and don't tailgate and up their rear end ....and all I get is manky looks!!! Can't work it out ....

I've had great advice on such a lot already - the TT looks like mine - is it a Mk 2? ...Soz to be so ignorant - I'm also having to relearn driving as other drivers attitudes are appalling - I've driven fords since I was 20 in the 80s and a punto for past 9 years - and never encountered such mean driving or abuse - I indicate, I flash people out, I thank them, I slow down and don't tailgate and up their rear end ....and all I get is manky looks!!! Can't work it out ....

Yes, a 2011 Mk 2 quattro and DSG: went chasing a TTRS ragtop last week but came back with the car shown - they're really good cars...

Reactions: Gill ZB and Sandra
Lovely cars .....Mines a 2009 personal plate - the saga of which has been posted on here lol! Low mileage - Just turned 20k miles - I do 380 miles a week to work plus werkends so I'll soon knock that up ! After my 02 punto this is driving heaven!!! It's been 3 weeks tomorrow that I got him and I'm still in total awe - keep looking out of my window and don't believe he's mine! I often pass other TTs on the A1 and think "wow!" Then remember I'm driving my very own WDW!!!! Got a lot to learn and lots of questions but never enjoyed anything as much since my long lost beloved Cortina!! Bet that youth who made you feel old wouldn't have heard of a Cortina!! lol

Bet that youth who made you feel old wouldn't have heard of a Cortina!! lol

Or a Europa Twin Cam (mine), or a Marcos 3-litre, let alone the Ford Anglia next door, and/or the minivan in the background: oh the joys of being old with a 'still' active memory...

Europa Marcos 2

Taken in 1972

Reactions: B_FUR, Jake 61, Sandra and 1 other person
I tend to feel old when a pupil comes into my class and introduces themselves by saying 'morning sir, my mum said to say hi, you taught her X years ago'! Only happened twice so far but it'll only go downhill from here on. When you've been teaching 20 years in the same school, it's inevitable. :shrug::sadlike:

Reactions: Chop., Bristle Hound, Sandra and 4 others
RS3copilot (closer to 70 than needs be) mashing the loud pedal of an Audi R8 V10 plus in the 'very' wet at Silverstone; we were required to accelerate as hard as possible for 200mtrs and then stand on the brakes while jinking right and left into a coned off box.... very interesting - impressive how the Audi ABS system can handle that... :yes:

Judith R8 V10 Plus

Growing old (for some) is all in the mind...
smiley3gif.gif

Reactions: jojo, Jake 61 and Sandra
Absolutely.

(And well demonstrated, both of you).

:racer:

The 'old' fella had a go too, Jake:

John R8 V10 Plus

RS3copilot looks a tad more worried in this mind and about to
idontwanttosee.gif

Reactions: jojo and Jake 61
I feel it everyday. Usually I look younger than my real age (32 now). But still, I think I'm old.
While driving a car, the first thing that came into my head is " safety". I lost my bravery :(

my body and dodgy back may feel broken at 35 but i'll never be done with the go faster stripes and chavy taste for my motors, once a boy racer always a boy racer