Does anybody know the difference between R and ZR when it comes to tyres?

Djl

Reaction score
Unfortunately hit a massive pot hole last night and my front left tyre is now ruined.

All 4 tyres are Michelin P-Zero 235/35 ZR19 91y R01.

I’ve shopped around but it looks like the local fitters can only get R instead of ZR. Does anybody know the difference?

From what I understand, 235/35 is width/diameter, 91Y is the speed rating, R01 is the type of fit (Audi Quattro) and 19 is the wheel size. A few sources say ZR is also a speed rating but I thought that’s what the 91Y was for.

Unfortunately hit a massive pot hole last night and my front left tyre is now ruined.

I’ve shopped around but it looks like the local fitters can only get R instead of ZR. Does anybody know the difference?

From what I understand, 235/35 is width/diameter, 91Y is the speed rating, R01 is the type of fit (Audi Quattro) and 19 is the wheel size. A few sources say ZR is also a speed rating but I thought that’s what the 91Y was for.
91Y is the load rating, ZR is the speed rating, do not use a R rated tyre.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: sve170
Hope this helps
Speed rating is identified as a part of the tire's sizing or service description. For tires having a maximum speed capability above 240 km/h (149 mph), a “ZR” may appear in the size designation. For tires having a maximum speed capability above 300 km/h (186 mph), a “ZR” must appear in the size designation.

f63872272ac145f457150815cb6b8255.jpg

3ce7de613bbb0bbca8694cb5aac42ad2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MartayMcFly
Whats the difference between a standard PZero and a PZero with an RO2 marker apart from £20 a corner? Is it just an Audi tax or is the tyre actually different in anyway? Thanks

Whats the difference between a standard PZero and a PZero with an RO2 marker apart from £20 a corner? Is it just an Audi tax or is the tyre actually different in anyway? Thanks

Pirelli & Audi will tell you it’s been specifically designed for an quattro car.

Reactions: Count Drunkula and rjb79
91Y is the load rating, ZR is the speed rating, do not use a R rated tyre.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

This answer is why you should just google this stuff, and not rely on incorrect information from semi-informed forum members. 91 is the load rating (615kg) and Y is the speed rating (up to 186mph). Not a huge deal in this instance, maybe, but still incorrect.

ZR used to mean something like "performance", and latterly meant ~149mph and over, but the speed rating is what to go by. And, for the record, R as a speed rating (ie a tyre marked 88R) is only rated to 106mph.

I often wonder why on many forums the same questions keep getting asked year after year especially when it comes to tyres.

The RS3 comes with ZR rated tyres for a reason, it’s a performance car and requires a tyre that can perform at very high speeds such as 155 mph and above.
Why would anyone owning one of these amazing motors even consider putting lower rated tyres on their car?

Is it down to cost? Or they genuinely do not know what tyre to fit. I suspect it’s mainly down to cost. Us owners have spent in excess of £50,000 on their dream motor and go and put incorrect replacement tyres when required, the mind boggles.

Just my opinion though!!!

Check this website, it will help you alot

My excuses for using a translation machine.
Better late than never.

Seen from December 2022, the ZR >240 km/h nomenclature (very generic) has been replaced by letters:
H=210
V=240
ZR>240
W=270
Y=300
Which is accompanied by two digits that indicate the load index. The tire load multiplied by 2 should cover the total axle load of your vehicle.

Happy new year 2023

Contrary to popular belief, ZR pertains to tire construction and its ability to handle certain speeds, rather than just a vague branding element.

For a comprehensive understanding of what ZR truly indicates on a tire, I'd recommend taking a look at our detailed article on tireterrain.com. It sheds light on this often misunderstood aspect of tire specifications and offers a deep dive into its true significance.

You can find the article here: https://tireterrain.com/what-does-zr-mean-on-a-tire/