Does anyone actually know how to fix hot air from passenger side vents with A/C on?

Actually it's a god idea to put the dryer inside the condenser, as if your condenser is holed then you should replace the dryer as well, as the dryer get's exposure to the atmosphere which can have plenty of moisture in it. Vacuuming the system will not remove moisture from the dryer so they should be replaced as a pair but very few time time this gets done, leaving to further problems later on.

And it saves space and time to replace. Looking at the design its not the best. Korean car AC parts seem better made.

Hi guys
Regarding the 'no heat on passager side'. A few updates.
A few weeks back my side windows started to fog up and defrost would not work. Only on windshield but there a bare minimum. Took a very long time to defrost completely.
But today upon scanning with obd11 i got the fault in the picture bellow
Can someone point me to the direction of the flap? Where exactly should I look?
Could that be my issue with the heating aswell?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-01-11-14-26-16-227_com.voltasit.obdeleven.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-01-11-14-26-16-227_com.voltasit.obdeleven.jpg
    549.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot_2022-01-11-14-38-00-359_com.voltasit.obdeleven.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-01-11-14-38-00-359_com.voltasit.obdeleven.jpg
    556.6 KB · Views: 128
Our HVAC assembly consists of 5 flap motor / position sensor units. There has been some uploads earlier in the thread but for consistency, I will sum up below:
View attachment 214899
24 - Recirculation flap motor
25 - Right side temp control flap motor
26 - Left side temp control flap motor
27 - Air distribution flap motor
28 - Defrost flap motor

Number 25 would be the unit you would want to verify for operation (assuming left hand drive for my documents). You may be able to swap 25 and 26 to see if the issue moves but I am uncertain if the connectors are the same from side to side.

Right temp control motor is below the defrost motor:
View attachment 214900

Left temp control motor location:
View attachment 214901

What is interesting is all the flap motors have position sensors integrated inside. If they do not get to their desired spot it should set a fault. I would also make sure the flap door moves freely when the motor is removed. Best of luck.
Would the numver 27 be accesible by removing the mmi screen? Or would the dashboard need removing?

Or even maybe if I take the glovebox out. Looks like it could be around there
Hey Alan,
Yes you can. However, I think your issue is with nr 26 (Left side temp control flap motor). You can get to it by removing the panel underneath your steering column. To compare the operations of the two (25 and 26), you'll need to remove the glovebox anyway, which requires a bit more effort.

I removed my Glove-box and also the plastic duck that blows into the footwell. That allowed me to see the Temp Control flap motor right at the back. I could test its operation by turning my one dial from cold to warm, and could see the little gear on the side operate and the arm moving.

Like MarttiMatt said "try to swop the connectors between the two sides and see if the issue moves to the other side."

I also have an A3 8V, but mine is the 1.4TFSI (2014) - right-hand drive. Mine doesn't have a bi-zone climate control like yours, i.e. just one control for both sides. However I have exactly the same problem than you, (left side blowing warmer than right-hand side) which makes it even more weird I suppose.
The two "AC sections" (left and right) basically share flaps and are joint through a shaft at all the areas. Every type of flap operate on one motor. So I only have motors on the left hand side of the big unit in the centre. I do have dual ducks running through the system though. I removed my two centre vents to confirm.

At the moment I'm considering re-filling my A/C system as some of the other posters indicate it might be the cause.
Please let us know if you yours sorted or at least narrowed it down to something.

Hey Alan,
Yes you can. However, I think your issue is with nr 26 (Left side temp control flap motor). You can get to it by removing the panel underneath your steering column. To compare the operations of the two (25 and 26), you'll need to remove the glovebox anyway, which requires a bit more effort.

I removed my Glove-box and also the plastic duck that blows into the footwell. That allowed me to see the Temp Control flap motor right at the back. I could test its operation by turning my one dial from cold to warm, and could see the little gear on the side operate and the arm moving.

Like MarttiMatt said "try to swop the connectors between the two sides and see if the issue moves to the other side."

I also have an A3 8V, but mine is the 1.4TFSI (2014) - right-hand drive. Mine doesn't have a bi-zone climate control like yours, i.e. just one control for both sides. However I have exactly the same problem than you, (left side blowing warmer than right-hand side) which makes it even more weird I suppose.
The two "AC sections" (left and right) basically share flaps and are joint through a shaft at all the areas. Every type of flap operate on one motor. So I only have motors on the left hand side of the big unit in the centre. I do have dual ducks running through the system though. I removed my two centre vents to confirm.

At the moment I'm considering re-filling my A/C system as some of the other posters indicate it might be the cause.
Please let us know if you yours sorted or at least narrowed it down to something.
Thank you for your response. I was thinking the same though mine is LHD. So my issue should be on the glovebox side cause there I have colder air than left side. If I use AC and lower temp they both blow the same temperature, with warm air I have issues. When it'll get warmer outside (due to lack of a garage) I will look into it and post here. Thanks a lot

When I have AC on, during summer, mine driver side is fine so cold and passengers warm.
The main junction for air distribution is in the middle of dash. The air con pipes goes from drivers side to the middle so you will have to follow them and see how they are routed.
So you will have to remove the whole dash board and still it will be behind "bonnet" there are all flaps openings for all air outlets right dash, right foot well, middle dash 2x, left dash, left foot well, left under seat, 2x middle rear, and right under seat.
Please see pics and legend.

I advice to remove dash locate flaps for left dash air 2x middle dash flaps and drivers side air dash flap turn aircon and see which is not opening

1 -Fresh air intake
2 -Intake for air from passenger compartment (for air recirculation mode)
3 -Outlet to front right footwell vent
4 -Outlet to right dash panel vent
5 -Outlet to centre dash panel vents (left and right)
6 -Outlet to left dash panel vent
7 -Outlet to front left footwell vent
8 -Outlet to (dash panel) defroster vents
9 -Outlet to rear right footwell vent
10 -Outlet to rear left footwell vent
11 -Outlet to vent in rear centre console
q Currently sealed with a plug.
q Introduction of vent in centre console not yet finalised.
12 -Outlet to vent in rear centre console
q Currently sealed with a plug.
q Introduction of vent in centre console not yet finalised.

Attachments

• a3-18391.png
    a3-18391.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 116
1 -Dash panel
q With air ducts to defroster vents and dash panel vents on driver and front passenger side
2 -Defroster vent
q For windscreen
q Crushing of the intermediate piece between the air conditioning unit and the air duct in the dash panel on installing the dash panel will result in irregular or inadequate air routing to the windscreen. → General body repairs, interior; Rep. gr.70
3 -Defroster vent
q Side window/passenger side
4 -Right dash panel vent
q Removing and installing dash panel vents → Chapter and → General body repairs, interior; Rep. gr.70
5 -Centre right dash panel vent
q Removing and installing dash panel vents → Chapter and → General body repairs, interior; Rep. gr.70
6 -Centre left dash panel vent
7 -Left dash panel vent
8 -Defroster vent
q Side window/driver side
9 -Intermediate piece/defroster duct
10 -Fresh air intake
q The air is drawn in via the plenum chamber.
11 -Air recirculation intake
q The air is drawn in under the glove compartment from the passenger's footwell.
12 -Air duct/dash panel vent
q To centre, left and right vents
13 -Front right footwell vent
14 -Trim for right footwell vent
15 -Air duct to rear right footwell vent
16 -Air duct to vent in rear centre console
q Only fitted on vehicles with vent in centre console (introduction not yet finalised)
17 -Sealing plug
q Only fitted on vehicles with no air duct to vent in rear centre console
18 -Air duct to rear left footwell vent
19 -Trim for left footwell vent
20 -Front left footwell vent
21 -Air conditioning unit

Attachments

• a3-18390.png
    a3-18390.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 101
1 -Evaporator housing assembly
2 -Air flow flap (fresh-air flap)
q Shown in „open“ position
q Only fitted on vehicles with automatically controlled air conditioner
q Up to the end of Model Year 2007, the air flow flap was moved by the air flow flap control motor -V71-. As of the end of Model Year 2007, the air flow flap control motor -V71- is being gradually discontinued. On vehicles with no air flow flap control motor -V71-, the air flow flap is actuated by the air recirculation flap control motor -V113- by way of a cam plate and lever → Chapter. Attention is therefore to be paid to correct assignment of the operating and display unit, Climatronic control unit -J255-. If the assignment or adaption is not OK, this is detected during basic setting and stored as a fault → Electronic parts catalogue.
3 -Air recirculation flap
q Shown in „closed“ position
q Vehicles with automatically controlled air conditioner
q Vehicles with manually controlled air conditioner are fitted with a fresh-air/air recirculation flap → Chapter
4 -Fresh air blower -V2-
q With fresh air blower control unit -J126- (only fitted on vehicles with automatically controlled air conditioner)
5 -Dust and pollen filter
q Heed replacement intervals → Maintenance tables
6 -Evaporator
q Vehicles with no air conditioner (heater only) are fitted with a foam core (for noise insulation) instead of the evaporator
7 -Bottom part of evaporator housing (with fitted components)
8 -Air outlet to air distribution housing
9 -Air distribution housing

Attachments

• a3-18391.png
    a3-18391.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 96
1 -Evaporator housing assembly
2 -Air flow flap (fresh-air flap)
q Shown in „open“ position
q Only fitted on vehicles with automatically controlled air conditioner
q Up to the end of Model Year 2007, the air flow flap was moved by the air flow flap control motor -V71-. As of the end of Model Year 2007, the air flow flap control motor -V71- is being gradually discontinued. On vehicles with no air flow flap control motor -V71-, the air flow flap is actuated by the air recirculation flap control motor -V113- by way of a cam plate and lever → Chapter. Attention is therefore to be paid to correct assignment of the operating and display unit, Climatronic control unit -J255-. If the assignment or adaption is not OK, this is detected during basic setting and stored as a fault → Electronic parts catalogue.
3 -Air recirculation flap
q Shown in „closed“ position
q Vehicles with automatically controlled air conditioner
q Vehicles with manually controlled air conditioner are fitted with a fresh-air/air recirculation flap → Chapter
4 -Fresh air blower -V2-
q With fresh air blower control unit -J126- (only fitted on vehicles with automatically controlled air conditioner)
5 -Dust and pollen filter
q Heed replacement intervals → Maintenance tables
6 -Evaporator
q Vehicles with no air conditioner (heater only) are fitted with a foam core (for noise insulation) instead of the evaporator
7 -Bottom part of evaporator housing (with fitted components)
8 -Air outlet to air distribution housing
9 -Air distribution housing
So basically an unboxing of half of the interior. The harder part actually
I will still look first at the motors on every side maybe one turn but doesn't catch. They are made of plastic so not indestructible
Thank you for the documentation

So basically an unboxing of half of the interior. The harder part actually
I will still look first at the motors on every side maybe one turn but doesn't catch. They are made of plastic so not indestructible
Thank you for the documentation
Sorry picture for last post is this

Attachments

• a3-18392.png
    a3-18392.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 107
Hi All,
First post.
Has anyone actually know how to resolve this issue? I have seen alot about this and it seems that this is a common fault but I have ot seen any confirmed "this is how you resolve this issue"
There is alot about the Blend flap motor, but no-one has confirmed this has resolved their issue.
Yes I am facing this exact issue in my 2017, S3 8v and not too sure how to resolve it.
Any help appreciated.

Hi All,
First post.
Has anyone actually know how to resolve this issue? I have seen alot about this and it seems that this is a common fault but I have ot seen any confirmed "this is how you resolve this issue"
There is alot about the Blend flap motor, but no-one has confirmed this has resolved their issue.
Yes I am facing this exact issue in my 2017, S3 8v and not too sure how to resolve it.
Any help appreciated.

Aircon top up sorted my old 8V RS3 out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk