Does anyone know when....

jasew

Reaction score
The new 3-door A3 2.0T FSI will be released. Been into my local stealer today, might as well have asked the cleaner... they are completely useless.

All the sales guy could mutter was, it's not mentioned in the current literature blah blah blah... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

The only bit of useful info, was about week 25 in 05 when there are supposed to be a number of new models released, but Audi are keeping tight lipped about it.... apparently...

I think Autoexpress said it was happening sooner than that - early part of 2005. Also sure that I've read similar elsewhere on more than one occassion. With the sportback out it makes sense for them to use the new front end on both models.

Don't know whether Audi's fairly recent push on the budget priced 1.6 MPi Special Edition has anything to do with trying to shift stock before the new nose appears? New nose is stubly different to the old one but could well involve a whole new bumper, so would make financial sense if that was the plan.

I'm looking for an A3 too but won't be placing an order until I know it's for a facelifted version. I quite like the new nose.

Ah, just re-read your post. You were talking about the 'T'. Thought you were talking about the new facelifted A3 in general. In that case I don't know, sorry.

The easy answer is its delayed as it should have been out this August based on Audi's 2005 model year plan but due to other product launches (Sportback, A4 Facelift etc.) it has been put back with no definite date yet mentioned. Wouldn't expect it til 2005 at the earliest and they may just conincide it with the facelift as that would make the most sense.

The German Audi site has the A3 2.0TFSI 3-door listed at 28.350,00 Euros compared to 25.530,00 Euros for the non-turbo.

I am sure you will be able to pick one up in the UK for less than £20,000 from a company like Broadspeed which are currently offering the A3 2.0FSI Sport for around £17,390.

Jamie

mm, at least in Finland the price difference between 2,0TFSI and 2,0FSI is plain awful (over 10ke). At least with Sportback, that is.

jesus 10 grand more thats seems a bit steep, any idea how much the new S3 will be ovr there?

No idea, then again A3 3,2 is only 3 grand more than 2,0 TFSI. Just makes no sense, who would buy 2,0TFSI if one can get 3,2 at nearly the same price?

- Yak

yeah its a pity the S3 is going big-style with the 3.2 V6 cus the road tax on that engine is just shocking (Over €1200 in Ireland)

The TDI Quattro would prob be the better option but if the 2.0T ever came out with a bigger T im sure 250BHp could be easily achieved.

got my figures on v6 because i used to own an R32, so i know what that V6 will do... 28mpg not in a million years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

the 2.0T figures i got from a website somewhere, although i admit in reality 35mpg sounds more realistic.

I expect with a light right foot you could see 35mpg but if you are going to have a light foot why bother with a tuned up engine. If the 2.0T is anything like the 1.8T you'll want to plant your right foot down hard and grin.

BTW Yak are you feeling OK you are recommending the 2.0TDI /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Good to hear, I agree the 3.2 can get very thirsty when you thrash it. The best I've ever got out of one was 28 mpg and that was driving like a granny on her way to church on a Sunday.

garethj, why wouldn't I recommend it to someone, trucks are also with diesel engines /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously, if petrol cost is the issue, these powerful engines aren't the right choice.

- Yak

Ok let me get this into proportion...

I use my car for business and opted out of my company car scheme. Although i loved the r32 and the v6, i was only covering the cost of the fuel and not earning any revenue to pay for the car!

So that's why i went for the TDI, although this was a rush change just to get me some extra cash.

I worked out that with a 2.0T i can still have a reasonable performance car and still earn some money to pay for it.

overall i'm just trying to strike a happy medium of cost versus performance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

According to Germancarfans.com:

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2040719.001/page/3/audi/1.html

"In contrast to the naturally-aspirated 2.0 FSI engine, the fuel-air mixture is distributed purely homogeneously within the combustion chamber."

The N/A 2,0FSI works in homogeneous mode only at high/full load, otherwise using stratified-charge.

Anyway, at least audi.de quotes something like 40,9mpg for 2,0FSI and 36,7mpg for 2,0TFSI in combined. I have hard time to believe you'll actually meet those promises.

- Yak