Does England want to Play Germany?

Rev-head

Reaction score
Watched the germans play this afternoon and they looked awesome ..........and they way England are playing at moment i think it would be a one sided match

Your Thoughts Gentleman

Germany are fallible at the back, but england can't score reliably enough yet (prove me wrong tonight.... please). Playing Ecuador might just be a stay of execution, or it might give us enough time to gel to do something in the later stages. I'm used to being optimistic through supporting the toon.

england have only beaten germany once iirc in recent years, albeit when the germans were in a period of transition, as a german fan i would rather not play england i think trinidad could still qualify which would be better for us, however if england play equador i think they will struggle after all equador had a scratch side out against us this afternoon.
could anyone answer these quick questions,
1, why do england fans always think they will win every competition, rather than just expecting to do well
2, why do england fans whistle and boo when other teams national anthems are played hence showing utter disrespect
3, why does this country wave flags from cars and houses etc for football, when we all forget about our boys in iraq etc who enable all of us to sit here in comfort and watch the competition, perhaps we should have flags out etc to support our troops just like they do in the states

I'm not an England fan, and I don't particularly like football, but I am South African, and I'm very competitive when it comes to sport. I can see your point, however:
1. If you're not playing to win, don't bother playing.
2. It's only football fans that do this, rugby fans still show respect.
3. The "boys"(don't forget the many woman that are there too) in Iraq are not forgotten, but if we don't take the opportunity to unite as a nation and enjoy the privileges we do have, then what are the boys fighting for. It's difficult for the nation to fly flags in support of the army when most of the country is against the war.

Since you asked for quick answers, I'm going to stop there, but I could write an essay if you so desired.

Like you, I'm also dissapointed with number 2. I've seen and met too many football fans that are just plain ugly, and not only in the looks department. Football is a gents game, watched by hooligans. Rugby is a hooligans game, watched by gents.

IMO - Ecuador sat back against Germany.... Happy they were through, exceeded all expectations and just cruised the game. They also rested players in readiness for their next game.... Dark horse me thinks - we mustn't relax.... Oh and Owen possibly out - Just F%**~@ great... Never mind we have Joe Cole - gotta be goal of the tournament....
Hargreaves - He's a real star - he didn't even know the words to the national anthem !!
Walcott - Do you know he's missing the school disco for this - Should he be back doing doing keepy uppies in the playground - I guess we'll see when Sven decides to play him..... He may turn out to be a corker.....

3. Umm because generally people in this country care more about football than world politics.
Most people are just fed up with politics and getting behind our country on the worlds biggest stage in a game they understand is, I guess, a show of patriotism that means something to us. Surprised that we are allowed to show any support for England to be honest surely it's a form of racism in the eyes of Brussels.
"England have only beaten Germany once in recent past?"
I think you mean England have only thrashed the living daylights out of the Germans once in the recent past and it was in Germany.

AndyMac said:
3. Umm because generally people in this country care more about football than world politics.
Most people are just fed up with politics and getting behind our country on the worlds biggest stage in a game they understand is, I guess, a show of patriotism that means something to us. Surprised that we are allowed to show any support for England to be honest surely it's a form of racism in the eyes of Brussels.
"England have only beaten Germany once in recent past?"
I think you mean England have only thrashed the living daylights out of the Germans once in the recent past and it was in Germany.

In fairness any team could have put five past us on that night, but when it comes to competition time have england actually beaten us since 66, i seem to recall we have eliminated you from every competition, at least from 78 onwards when i started my support