Does RS3 Mag Ride dampers fit the S3?

RS200Z

Reaction score
Just thinking when the time comes to replace my S3 mag ride dampers, can I use the RS3 ones instead? Hopefully the damping on the RS3 ones are better compared to the S3 ones...

Hmmm. I've driven quite a few RS3's with magride, and although magride improves things when compared with non-magride, it still doesn't dial out the issue completely.......

Reactions: Rob2k68
Interesting thought - wonder if they are part number common ?

Thinking out loud even if they appear physically identical will they not be tuned for the heavier engine ?

Reactions: veeeight
Hmmm. I've driven quite a few RS3's with magride, and although magride improves things when compared with non-magride, it still doesn't dial out the issue completely.......

Yes, it probably might not be as good as a proper coilover like Bilstein. But given the limited option we have considering there is no working mag-ride delete module. I guess this is the next best alternative to retaining ability to switch suspension modes and having a better S3 mag ride dampers.

Interesting thought - wonder if they are part number common ?

Thinking out loud even if they appear physically identical will they not be tuned for the heavier engine ?

Stage 3 with bigger turbo and intercooler will surely add more weight to the front? No? :p

On a serious note, yes you are probably right but only way to tell how well it works is for someone to try it.

Reactions: Rob2k68

It won't "dial out the issue completely" because you and your driving techniques are the issue ,you use every opportunity to make negative comments as far as the RS3/S3 are concerned ,you cant be much of an expert on these things as you'd like to think you are as you've used your own expertise to buy an S3 which at every opportunity you run down and obviously hate owning. just face up to the fact that you've bought the wrong car,sell it and move on. :blahblah1:

Reactions: jimojameso and froggyr32
Thank you for your valuable contribution regarding the dampers :)

Another perfect example of a broken record that just can't accept the flaws in any car, and takes every opportunity to attack a poster :)

Reactions: Blackwhite
Thank you for your valuable contribution regarding the dampers :)

Another perfect example of a broken record that just can't accept the flaws in any car, and takes every opportunity to attack a poster :)

If a record is broken it can be replaced ,where as a stuck record just goes on and on and on and on and on and on .......and on and on and on and on and on and on and on .......and on and on and on and on and on and on and on .......and on and ..........
tumblr_lctidcJcM61qf481ro1_500.gif

No mention of Magride in the article so i presume the car tested hasn't got the option,the majority of people buy an RS3 road car to drive on the road and as I've said before if you've got time to think the car is understeering on a road then you ain't driving it to its full potential.:racer:

No mention of Magride in the article so i presume the car tested hasn't got the option,the majority of people buy an RS3 road car to drive on the road and as I've said before if you've got time to think the car is understeering on a road then you ain't driving it to its full potential.

If the review wording suggests that "the suspension is good at keeping the car flat during hard cornering" I would suggest that the car does indeed have magride, a non-magride car has considerably more roll during hard cornering.

One doesn't "think" the car is understeering, one "feels" understeer.
Well. As best one can, with Audi steering ;)

As for track vs road- the test above (it's in the title) was done on a track, AND B-roads. Indeed the feedback given about the suspension was done on the B-road route.

I've always said that the plus points of the RS3 are the engine sound, and the straight line speed, so if thats important to you, buy the RS3. But if handling, steering and suspension are your priority, you should consider other options.

Last edited:
Reactions: bqik and CraigI
RS3 with magride handles worst than a S3 with normal suspension.

As I have said several times here, our RS3 can't keep our S3 in medium or tight corners.

the S3 is better in some aspects than the RS3.

regards

Reactions: veeeight
I expect they do fit, it's the same chassis after all, but knowing how parts and components are priced at Audi I expect it will be cheaper to buy a decent set of after-market coilovers which will undoubtably perform better.

Reactions: pburv