Does the 2017 S5 suffer from lag like the S4?

chanlon1

Reaction score
Website
www.babybmw.net
Theres a long S4 post here talking about really dangerous lag when pulling out onto roundabouts etc.

Haven't seen anything mentioned in the A5/S5 section.

Does the A5/S5 have the same issues?

Theres a long S4 post here talking about really dangerous lag when pulling out onto roundabouts etc.

Haven't seen anything mentioned in the A5/S5 section.

Does the A5/S5 have the same issues?

I've commented on this elsewhere in the forum, but for me the S5 is no different to any other turbo charged auto car I've driven, in that they rarely have razor sharp throttle response. The situation is exasperated when in efficiency mode (or auto mode, when driven gently, which is effectively efficiency mode). In the aforementioned modes the car will almost always try to pull away from a standstill in 2nd, which obviously delays pull away response and performance, if you understand what it's doing then you expect it and it's not an issue. When driven in Dynamic or individual with engine and gearbox set to Dynamic the car will always drop into 1st when you come to a stop thus increasing response, and reducing what some are referring to as "lag" when pulling away. I don't feel there is an inherent issue with the car and it's certainly not dangerous as some state. Moreover it only takes a nudge of the shifter to put it in sports mode which increases response further still.

I can't comment on whether the S4 is any different as I've never driven one, but it's the same engine and gearbox so would imagine my comments above still apply.

Appreciate the response.
I've a S3 at the moment and get what you are saying.
As you say, if you know to expect it, you can work around it.
Pick up the S5 tomorrow so will be interested to see if Audi have developed a deadly lag weapon that the A4/S4 crowd would lead you to believe.

I went out last night, for a play, as you do. In standard D mode I suppose there is a lag as people call it, if you say it's dangerous I would say you are probably trying to get into a gap that isn't there, after all tens of thousands of trucks hardly blast out onto the roundabout and they manage.
Put the car into S and there is little lag, it also starts in 1st, this will propel you onto the roundabout at a high rate of knots, making it nigh on impossible for those at the next entry to get onto it, the problem is more attitude than car IMHO.

Reactions: Paul_McG and R.A.G
haha, I don't think you'll find it to be any different to the S3 as far as how quickly you can get it off the line, it's just as fast but loads more refinement and sounds awesome, especially with the exhaust valve mod.

Good luck with the collection and let us know your initial thoughts. I'm really impressed with mine as an all round package.

I went out last night, for a play, as you do. In standard D mode I suppose there is a lag as people call it, if you say it's dangerous I would say you are probably trying to get into a gap that isn't there, after all tens of thousands of trucks hardly blast out onto the roundabout and they manage.
Put the car into S and there is little lag, it also starts in 1st, this will propel you onto the roundabout at a high rate of knots, making it nigh on impossible for those at the next entry to get onto it, the problem is more attitude than car IMHO.

:iagree:

I use mine in efficiency mode in town, because in sport mode its just almost dangerous. I actually like the lag in town, since if you "change your mind" about the throttle you can still back up, not in sport mode.
In case I need to "launch" the car out of an intersection I just pull down on the shifter (puts in in S mode) and there we go, no lag.

Reactions: R.A.G
I use Efficiency all the time (as it did over 40mpg on a 25o ml trip ) and find you get used to how the car reacts so no lag on drive away as such.
What is more difficult to control is if you give it more throttle it takes off with a huge surge of torque and then it won't change up. Does anyone else have this issue?

I use Efficiency all the time (as it did over 40mpg on a 25o ml trip ) and find you get used to how the car reacts so no lag on drive away as such.
What is more difficult to control is if you give it more throttle it takes off with a huge surge of torque and then it won't change up. Does anyone else have this issue?

I get the same, it's the kickdown on the auto - unlike my previous BMW it's not got a "clicky" point you can feel

Well you may be right but Im only talking about half throttle, it certainly takes off massive surge and revs to about 5k before changing up.
If it was kick down I'd expect it to rev. beyond that. I think I heard the exhaust crack on change up too, nice!

Reactions: R.A.G
Well you may be right but Im only talking about half throttle, it certainly takes off massive surge and revs to about 5k before changing up.
If it was kick down I'd expect it to rev. beyond that. I think I heard the exhaust crack on change up too, nice!
I tend to intervene with the right paddle to force the upshift.

Last edited:
So far I am reading on these forums that if you drive the car in efficiency its laggy well obviously the car is trying to be economical! Stick it in dynamic and use the paddles yourself and its a peach of an engine when you make it work but I do feel it has been held back to try and keep the gap between s5 and rs5. Anyone remapped yet?