Does this sound right to you?

A3 Sport

Reaction score
My mum is thinking of getting a new Audi TT next year, and I would like to be a named driver on it (I will be 19 year old male - nearly 20). With my mum and my dad on the insurance it is around £500. However, my mum was caught speeding recently, and we have been seeing what difference this would make to an insurance quote, and it raised to around £600. So thats £100 difference.

Now, when my dad originally added me to the policy it was £3500. And then when we mentioned that my mum has one speeding conviction.. it raised to £4400. £900 difference. Why such a change when Ive done nothing wrong?

Just doesnt make sense. What do you guys think?

3 and a half bags of sand, are they having a giraff

3.5k? To ensure you? Holy pisstake Batman!

If it makes you feel better, the family R8, RS4, RS6, A4 avant derv, polo 1.2 and my S3 comes to 3.5k with Admiral Multicar.

Yes, I'm older, but that is still a pisstake!

The speeding part is a joke right? Mine made little or no difference to the premium, I think it was +30 quid, even now, I have 6 points, and my missus has 6 points also, the insurance premiums are not silly. The woman even told me 80% of the clients have some sort of convictions, it's normal for UK motorists.

As for getting yourself insured on an Audi TT, for £3.5K, or let's call it £3k, since your mum and dad is £500 anyways, can you not wait until you are 21 or something? I'm sure it's a nice thing to be driving round in one @19 going 20, but £3k is a LOT of money for car insurance.... and let's face it, if money wasn't a problem in your household, you wouldn't need to be on here asking the question.

All I can add to the above is, you need to shop around, I think you can get it for less possibly.

I know its daft...

How does this sound with the quote at £4500, and I change the location that the car is left at to somewhere my friend lives (he always gets cheap insurance as he lives in a rural area, so just thought Id mess about), and it knocked the quote down to £2500!!

How can a location knock £2000 off the quote?

Am I likely to get a decent quote if I phone up??

l pay 350 a year for me and the missus on an S3. Went to add the daughter, for a laugh, just past her test at the time, quote went up to 3500.

£3k for a 17 year old isnt even bad really lol that's the kinds of price i was getting 3k for looking at golf mk4's. 1.6's! but also if you are driving the tt all the time then you may be void as the insurance company may just say you were fronting if you had a crash. if its just for a occasions, then don't bother as 3k is stupid! Think the insurance companys have clicked on to the fact that young drivers go on there parents insurance.

I know its daft...

How does this sound with the quote at £4500, and I change the location that the car is left at to somewhere my friend lives (he always gets cheap insurance as he lives in a rural area, so just thought Id mess about), and it knocked the quote down to £2500!!

How can a location knock £2000 off the quote?

Am I likely to get a decent quote if I phone up??

Exactly. Since the day I requested the S3, and actually getting it, we moved house. Previously lived in the town, now in the country. The difference in the quote was £340 lower on the country address. All in all I paid £500 with Admiral for the S3. Now have multicar, S3 and BMW X6, and pay £801.

Don't be too suprised by it all buddy...the insurance companies would rtather not insure young drivers on high end cars and if they was to they would not be doing on the cheap obviously due to the risk. it is a fact that young drivers are a higher risk and have more accidents..I'm not saying you but at the end of the day you at under 21 and your wanting to drive around in an Audi TT..Let's be frank now, If I was an insurance company I woul'dnt touch you, but then again there is no harm in charging you 2.5k if you really wanted to drive it. I remember my first car being insured, and put it this way..I did pay 2.5k to insure it..because I wanted to. Good luck..however...don't be too surprised! I'm not.:icon_thumright: