Dog in RS3 Boot?

HereWeGo

Reaction score
I'm currently a 2015 s3 saloon owner and hankering for an upgrade to my dream RS3

However we are due to get a black labrador soon and need to make sure the next cars boot is dog friendly and big enough for him. I know this is sacrilidge to some of you having a dog in a luxury car but our canine will ride in style. Just doing the maths on boot spaces and seems the new rs3 boot is tiny, in the 282litre capacity compared to 330 ish for the previous gen boot. Could it be big enough for a lab for short journeys?

Has anyone had a medium/large dog in their current/previous gen rs3 sportback boot? How was it? It will just be for the occasional journey but obviously important to be able to take our pooch with us to places.

Interested to hear your thoughts!

I'm currently a 2015 s3 saloon owner and hankering for an upgrade to my dream RS3

However we are due to get a black labrador soon and need to make sure the next cars boot is dog friendly and big enough for him. I know this is sacrilidge to some of you having a dog in a luxury car but our canine will ride in style. Just doing the maths on boot spaces and seems the new rs3 boot is tiny, in the 282litre capacity compared to 330 ish for the previous gen boot. Could it be big enough for a lab for short journeys?

Has anyone had a medium/large dog in their current/previous gen rs3 sportback boot? How was it? It will just be for the occasional journey but obviously important to be able to take our pooch with us to places.

I take my cocker occasionally it's fine for her size a lab should go in but not much turning room for it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211202-201536_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20211202-201536_Instagram.jpg
    765.6 KB · Views: 203
Reactions: drgav2005, dantdi, FBF01 and 1 other person

I can’t advise on boot space as we have a border terrier who comes everywhere with us in the main cabin. Tried the boot but she just kept jumping over. Got her a harness for the back seat.

I think the boot space is reduced due to the battery and the fwd system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a Weimaraner. Fits fine.

fcdb824ff08629cbba65035ba7f2b4a0.jpg

Reactions: drgav2005, Jassyo06, dantdi and 4 others
We have a Golf R at the moment, I went to see just a normal A3 to see what the car was like before I ordered an RS3, I opened the boot and the sales girl must have seen my face drop, 'whats up?', ''I'm not sure my dog will fit in there it looks slightly smaller than the Golf'', ''go and get him and try it for size'' so we did, he jumped straight in and I shut the hatch, not quite as much room as in the Golf due to the Sport Back but he'll be fine :)

Attachments

• IMG_8332.jpg
    IMG_8332.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 189
Reactions: drgav2005, Snake Pliskin, kayemill and 2 others
Mines is either on my knee or on the passenger seat, would she dare go in the boot haha

E9392235 5420 4A94 9702 D032DEF7564D

Reactions: drgav2005, FBF01, Snake Pliskin and 4 others
We have a Golf R at the moment, I went to see just a normal A3 to see what the car was like before I ordered an RS3, I opened the boot and the sales girl must have seen my face drop, 'whats up?', ''I'm not sure my dog will fit in there it looks slightly smaller than the Golf'', ''go and get him and try it for size'' so we did, he jumped straight in and I shut the hatch, not quite as much room as in the Golf due to the Sport Back but he'll be fine :)

Interesting, although the A3 boot is a damn site larger than the new RS3 boot.

Interesting, although the A3 boot is a damn site larger than the new RS3 boot.
I think some of that depends on where the floor is placed, On the A3 my dog tried the floor was in the upper position and he needed to bend his head neck over a little which is no bad thing as it will make him lie down, once lying down I think the space is similar to our Golf, I should also be able to do without the mesh dog guard as the space between top of rear seats and roof is smaller on the A3/RS3 and I dont think he could get through
The dog guard in our Golf reduces the space available for him as it sits about 50mm behind the head rests
The girl said to lower the floor and try him, I replied no point as the floor is raised in the RS3 anyway as the battery lives underneath it

Cute dog!

Have you got the new rs3 or previous gen? Thanks

Had 8P / 8V (both) and he fits in fine.

On the new one we may go to using the bespoke rear seat cover and a seatbelt harness as I’m always conscious about a rear end collision, we did look at cages for the 8V but no one seemed to do a proper fitting one.

Reactions: Jassyo06