Domestic FLASH for cleaning alloy wheels

45bvtc

The Older I Get The Better I Was
Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
For some time now I've been recommending the use of domestic Flash (you most probably have some already under the sink, so it ain't expensive) for the removal of brake dust from alloy wheels and here again I recommend the product.

I use a mix of 3 to 5% Flash to water, spray on, and within 2-minutes sponge/hose/wash off.

This has worked for me for 20-years and more with a variety of alloy wheels on both classic and modern cars.

I'm baffled by the reasoning of some (even here on audi-sport.net - detailing) that they/some ridicule the 'mixture' without trial, but there you are, do your own thing, go buy the expensive stuff...

It works for me 100%

If and when necessary, I then polish off with a light spray and buff with the cheapest window cleaning spray I can get my hands on, and here you are (and these 3-year old wheels/brakes/etc., have done at least 50-miles without cleaning):

P1000830

Go figure...

Last edited:
Reactions: T-800
The rears, too

P1000836

So cheap and easy it hurts...

Reactions: T-800, Paul-RS6, CHEZ and 1 other person
My own favourite is Virosol.

I've used it over 3 x S3's and now the RS3 over 12 years/ combined 100k miles and it never dulled the finish, like some leading wonder brands might, regardless of dilution.

Granted your not likely to find it under the sink, or in Tesco, but you can clean almost anything with it.

Reactions: L1ARR
brillo pads get the baked on dust off. :jester:

been serious I do use flash from time to time and works for me aswell.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Good god lol I use espuma revolution on mine 1-20 mix :)

Flash and window/glass cleaning spray works on RS3copilot's TT wheels, too:

P1000840x

And thes photo's are NOT of just cleaned wheels...

And yes, that is a POR15 painted brake hub - done 4-winters now :kissmyrings:

Reactions: T-800
Can't see a problem if it's a non acid solution ,wilkinsons are doing demon shine wheel cleaner for £2 for 500ml ...

Reactions: 45bvtc