Done?SB Facelift LEd Tails WITH prefacelift LED harness / cables? Without kufatc?

skemiksiz

Reaction score
Possible by re-wiring & coding in theory?

I got the leds but dont want to spend more money on the looms? Is it possible without a loom by an electrician?

Let me know please asap, I have my tomorrow afternoon OFF! :D

Thanks..

Any ideas or suggestions will be great..

Last edited:
yes i have created my own loom and fitted the leds onto a pre-facelift car, i followed a kufatec loom to check that the wiring was correct and the loom worked perfectly.
the kufatec loom however has 100 ohm resistors on the wires and from my investigation this is to stop any bulb out warning messages and to stop the initial flashing of LEDs as the car does the bulb check when it is first switched on.

the wiring is as follows

drivers side outers
old 4 pin connectornew 6 pin connector
32&5

drivers side inners
old 3 pin connector pinnew 8 pin connector
new pin 4 - (grey wire) pin 3 on
licence plate illumination loom

Passenger side outers:
21&6

Passenger side inners
old 3 pin connectornew 8 pin connector
new pin 1 - (grey wire) pin 3 on

you will need to get the new connector ends in able to do this re-wiring as the connectors are different. You would also need to cut and re-solder on new pins to the wires as they have different pin heads. (I know the inner lights have different pin heads, but cannot remember if the inners need new pins. although you would need to add another wire onto the loom for the outers)

the connector part numbers are
1J0 973 733 x2 (connector for rear outer tail lights)
3B0 972 724 x2 (connector for rear inner tail lights)
000 979 009 x9 (repair wires)
hope that helps

Last edited:
Does the kufatec loom simply go from the old wiring into the new lights? Do i have to remove the boot carpet to fit the led outer lights or are the bolts easy to get to

Chris

Excellent write up Ash!!

Chris, no need to remove boot carpet for outer lights. If you have the new lights and leads then I can install them for you when I do your cruise.

The ones from Kufatec will work mate. Many people from here have used them ones, am sure someone will confirm this.
Also the other ones will work too.

Ok, i think i will order the Kufatec one as i trust that it will not break unlike the ebay one :) Cheers Danny

Chris

Hi all I installed these lights on my sportback with the kufatec looms and they work perfect gone through MOT no problem, ignore the unsuitable for right hand drive as sportback rear lights are the same for RHD and LHD

Personally I would get the cheaper ones not the kufa ones. Reason i say this is that the bi-xenon looms that kufa sell are more expensive then what you get on eBay Germany but in fact not wired up properly, where as the cheaper ones fon eBay Germany are wired up properly and easier to install. When I say not wired up properly they include 4 pins that need to be wired up to the CE module where you really only need 2 pins to go to the CE module and the other wiring can be done in the headlight connector.
Anyway these are the rear lights and you do not need to wire anything into the ce module.

You guys are weird! The op says he wants to wire up the rear lights without the kufa looms and although I explained how that it done you all are still ordering the kufa loom anyway! :p

Last edited:
I bought my facelift rear lights off ebay from a German seller, the lights wereabout £230 delivered including the loom adaptors (possible kUFATEC, but not sure), the lights do that wiered flicked on ignition on so didn't realise that was kind of normal! The only addition was the extra power wire for the inner tail lamp (taken off the reg plate).

yes i have created my own loom and fitted the leds onto a pre-facelift car, i followed a kufatec loom to check that the wiring was correct and the loom worked perfectly.
the kufatec loom however has 100 ohm resistors on the wires and from my investigation this is to stop any bulb out warning messages and to stop the initial flashing of LEDs as the car does the bulb check when it is first switched on.

the wiring is as follows

drivers side outers
32&5

drivers side inners

Passenger side outers:
21&6

Passenger side inners

you will need to get the new connector ends in able to do this re-wiring as the connectors are different. You would also need to cut and re-solder on new pins to the wires as they have different pin heads. (I know the inner lights have different pin heads, but cannot remember if the inners need new pins. although you would need to add another wire onto the loom for the outers)

hope that helps

Thanks a lot mate for the great helps :) Before you wrote them, I found this harness diagram from another website after 3-4 hours work & we have done the thing correctly, thanks god! :) :)

My path is exactly like yours..

On the harness coming from the car, its written that which one is the 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 numbered wires. So we tried to guess! the numbers on the US specs LED tails and bingo, we guessed them right!! :) :) It was a forecast more than a guess.. We based our guess on some facts that we saw on the led harness.

And we sliced the cables coming from the car, put new pins & connected them into the harness on the LEDs.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you may see in the pictures.. Than we make the coding thing and its all great.. I fallowed my own creation & make a single side led without using the inside led set.

You may see the pics here:http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...ar-valance-spoiler-installed.html#post1464031

Last edited:
Brilliant!! I will get the adapters ordered so we can do it when we sort out the cruise ;)

Chris

You WONT NEED any adapters.. Just slice the cables after cut ( car cables ) than install pins on them, than plug theeem into the correct order on the led harness.. Its all.. We also put some caps on the pins in order to save them from the rain & snow..

See the picture below:

WE HAVE DUPLICATED 2 wires coming from the car by fallowing the harness diagram above..

NO NEED TO WASTE MONEY ON KUFATEC!!

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Just want to say thanks for this great information on the wiring as got the pre fit retro led lights installed on my a3 55 reg with harness cables from Germany but only have one passengers side outer s lit and one drivers side inner LEDs lit after coding as well ! Will check the wiring is right with your information.Is it possible also the guy I paid to do the encoding has only done one half of program for each side ? Thanks for any advice phil

You WONT NEED any adapters.. Just slice the cables after cut ( car cables ) than install pins on them, than plug theeem into the correct order on the led harness.. Its all.. We also put some caps on the pins in order to save them from the rain & snow..

See the picture below:

WE HAVE DUPLICATED 2 wires coming from the car by fallowing the harness diagram above..

NO NEED TO WASTE MONEY ON KUFATEC!!

Cheers :)
Ok firstly for the outer lights the pins do not need to be cut off, as they already have the correct pin heads on them. All that is needed is to splice and solder a wire on one of the existing wires with another pin so that it will power up the LEDs.

The inners would need to be cut off and replaced with the smaller pins for the newer inner wires.

Just want to say thanks for this great information on the wiring as got the pre fit retro led lights installed on my a3 55 reg with harness cables from Germany but only have one passengers side outer s lit and one drivers side inner LEDs lit after coding as well ! Will check the wiring is right with your information.Is it possible also the guy I paid to do the encoding has only done one half of program for each side ? Thanks for any advice phil

If you used adapters then it sounds like you have not used the correct left and right adapters as the wiring on both sides are different. There is no coding for left or right, it's just a coding to tell the car how to power the bulbs. Check your wiring mate

Hi completely puzzled as tried changing the wires does not help completely confused now? On the above lighting diagram it's saying passenger inner well I have it wired the same way but it will only light the drivers side? And the drivers side inner Only has 4 pins but yet it's saying put in to slot 2 but the odds are on one side the evens on another? Don't suppose you have a contact number?

the wiring is as follows

drivers side outers
32&5

drivers side inners

Passenger side outers:
21&6

Passenger side inners

hope that helps

Hi,
I nearly finished fitting the outer lights are fine and working no problem, although for the inner lights I can't locate the number plate loom, I was looking for over half an hour, but I just got fed up here are some pictures I have taken. Could some one just tell me which lead it is ?

Much appreciated.
Thanks

hptb.jpg
rg0p.jpg
9hoo.jpg
niug.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0204.jpg
    IMAG0204.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 530
rg0p.jpg

in the middle of the boot lid! have a look at the outer side where the boot handle opener is and the wire is directly on the other side.
in this picture you can see the rear wiper motor which is located in the middle of the boot door, just above it on the left there is a black wire that looks like a U and on one end of it you can see the exposed brown wire

on the below picture the same wire is on the very far left of the image... again you can see the exposed brown wire:

hptb.jpg

rg0p.jpg

in the middle of the boot lid! have a look at the outer side where the boot handle opener is and the wire is directly on the other side.
in this picture you can see the rear wiper motor which is located in the middle of the boot door, just above it on the left there is a black wire that looks like a U and on one end of it you can see the exposed brown wire

on the below picture the same wire is on the very far left of the image... again you can see the exposed brown wire:

hptb.jpg

So is it the brown wire ? I dont get it, could you highlight it for me ? Please thanks bud

the wiring is as follows

drivers side outers
32&5

drivers side inners

Passenger side outers:
21&6

Passenger side inners

budete muset získat nové konce konektorů, abyste mohli provést toto opětovné zapojení, protože konektory jsou odlišné. Také byste museli odříznout a znovu připájet nové kolíky k drátům, protože mají různé hlavy kolíků. (Vím, že vnitřní světla mají různé hlavy kolíků, ale nemohu si vzpomenout, zda vnitřní prvky potřebují nové kolíky. i když pro vnější budete muset na stav přidat další drát)

čísla dílů konektoru jsou
1J0 973 733 x2 (konektor pro zadní vnější koncová světla)
3B0 972 724 x2 (konektor pro zadní vnitřní koncová světla)
000 979 009 x9 (opravné kabely)
doufám, že to pomůže
Hello. thank you for the great tutorial. I make these reductions. but I encountered one problem in your description, you probably have a mistake. drivers side inners 8 pin. connections must be in one row. but it's not like that.