Don't buy new cars if you love sporty racy sounding exhausts

Latest noise regs are 68db afaik which is about the noise that a flushed toilet makes. Imho "they" are trying to make petrol as boring as EV so that we switch without a murmur.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bryant1998
Glad I still have my pfl S3:chuncky:

Reactions: N.J.H and Marky79
My March 2018 FL doesn't have the gpf. It think it may be one of the last without it.

Reactions: Lehn
There are FLs without the GPF. Also note to you 8V guys out there, if you get an S4 be prepared to mod the exhaust too, it's pretty quiet stock! Nothing a res delete couldn't sort out (as I hope to find out soon :D)

Reactions: Lehn
There are FLs without the GPF. Also note to you 8V guys out there, if you get an S4 be prepared to mod the exhaust too, it's pretty quiet stock! Nothing a res delete couldn't sort out (as I hope to find out soon :D)
DAZA engined ones have no GPF afaik then the engine was updated with a new code and has a GPF.

TX.

Reactions: 8YARWY
It is depressing, EU regulations ruining cars. I was seriously thinking about getting an M2 competition last week, as it’s probably the last time you will get a straight six petrol engine in a BMW.

mine was registered august 31st 2018 (so must be one of the last 310 models). The last day before it had to be scrapped. Anything from 1st September had to have the filter.

23k and the exhaust gets louder and louder

Reactions: Peter Peter
Guyz what is the diference btw S3 year 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 ? Which is best to buy ? (not including 2018 that is expensive even 2017 still is)

Guyz what is the diference btw S3 year 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 ? Which is best to buy ? (not including 2018 that is expensive even 2017 still is)
We sold the wife's one last year, 2015 car in manual only 10k miles! Good car tbf.

TX.

Reactions: pburv
Still got mine...I'm happy with that.:thumbs up:
If you can afford the slight premium go for a 2015 upwards S3 saloon. Mag ride was standard from then onward. Was option only before 2015??

l drove a new 135iM and sounded pretty fooking good to me....especially on start up just as good my MY2018 S3...."Dont buy any of the VAG group of cars if you want a sporty sounding car" should have been the title of your thread....as they all are getting soft limiters fitted...even the new Porsche 911 turbo sounds awful on start up....The VAG V8 engined cars fair a bit better....mainly due to capacity......Nanny fooking world we live in now.....For example.... How an exhaust note can be muted from a 300 bhp 2-0 litre engine is beyond me....."Oh that tiny engine car noise is hurting my ears"and it comes as no surprise to me at all that a Flu Virus can bring the world to a standstill...and continues....... ergo

Best year and most cost effective S3 model to buy is a May 16 to September 66 plate car with say 45k-60k miles on the clock...Snap pops and crackles........just like the cereal

Mercedes are just as bad....

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv
l drove a new 135iM and sounded pretty fooking good to me....especially on start up just as good my MY2018 S3...."Dont buy any of the VAG group of cars if you want a sporty sounding car" should have been the title of your thread....as they all are getting soft limiters fitted...even the new Porsche 911 turbo sounds awful on start up....The VAG V8 engined cars fair a bit better....mainly due to capacity......Nanny fooking world we live in now.....For example.... How an exhaust note can be muted from a 300 bhp 2-0 litre engine is beyond me....."Oh that tiny engine car noise is hurting my ears"and it comes as no surprise to me at all that a Flu Virus can bring the world to a standstill...and continues....... ergo

Best year and most cost effective S3 model to buy is a May 16 to September 66 plate car with say 45k-60k miles on the clock...Snap pops and crackles........just like the cereal

This is the best and only proper racing audi I ever heard best revs! Skip to 1:25:

I read that new cars will only be allowed to amit a sound of 68db or below, they will also be restricted to rev to a max of 3500rpm when stationary.

Might as well buy a 1.0L car, be a pointless waste of money buying anything else as it won’t be any fun.

My TCR will pop and crackle, which is pretty unusual for a 2019 or later car, it does have a specific exhaust so I can only presume that is why.

I read that new cars will only be allowed to amit a sound of 68db or below, they will also be restricted to rev to a max of 3500rpm when stationary.

Might as well buy a 1.0L car, be a pointless waste of money buying anything else as it won’t be any fun.

My TCR will pop and crackle, which is pretty unusual for a 2019 or later car, it does have a specific exhaust so I can only presume that is why.
A flushed toilet is 70db!

TX.

Reactions: pburv and Bryant1998

Jassy, we just swapped from S3 to new M135i and I think the exhuast on that sounds just as good as our 2017FL S3 did. I know it won't be popular but I think the M135i is much better car, better handling, stronger low/mid range, in sports mode it's like a VAG car with TCU tune and pedal box and for us way more features way we speecced car.

We had no issues at all with 5 years in s3 and loved the car but as time changes and techonology advances the BMW being new is step up. I assume that AUDI will step up features to catch up once new model is released.

I still have my MK7R which I love as stage 2 APR HO and just added Eibach springs and new MP4S tyres to have handling match the performace. I have res delete and bangs and pops tune so it's got great exhuast note once in sports.

Reactions: NevMan and Jassyo06
I know these changes are all bad news to petrol heads but in the early 90s when catalytic converters were made compulsory think of the uproar back then? So, nowadays, people take them off and map out the EML. All it means now is that people will get the stationary Rev limiter Mapped out and people will buy new exhausts. We are lucky that we have quite a bit of freedom in the UK to modify our cars - some countries do not allow it at all!

Reactions: NevMan
Now this is how all cars should sound, and a Voodoo Blue for @jassyo06

Reactions: Peter Peter and s3mad_dude
Not liking the insta link, here is a pic:

7e281880874963ca17fce28f7c60b636.png

I know these changes are all bad news to petrol heads but in the early 90s when catalytic converters were made compulsory think of the uproar back then? So, nowadays, people take them off and map out the EML. All it means now is that people will get the stationary Rev limiter Mapped out and people will buy new exhausts. We are lucky that we have quite a bit of freedom in the UK to modify our cars - some countries do not allow it at all!

Yeah, but for how long.

I was just watching a video on the new M2 CS, it has these plastic inserts on each wheel arch, these are because new rules state the wheels must be a inset a certain distance and without these the wheels would have not met this.

Honestly, the people coming up with this **** must be the most boring people on the planet who were most certainly beaten up regularly at school.

Reactions: DW81
Yeah, but for how long.

I was just watching a video on the new M2 CS, it has these plastic inserts on each wheel arch, these are because new rules state the wheels must be a inset a certain distance and without these the wheels would have not met this.

Audi been on this case for years, my current 2018 and 2015 PFL RS3 has these on the rear wheel arch

Reactions: Terminator x

Very true. There are a lot of states in america where they ban cars for no real reason, just becuase it has some minor mods.
I would love if they could legalise front drivers window tints, or at least allow 50%

I actually bought my S3 not knowing about the GPF but since it's a few months old now it's away in for a GPF delete and decat so it should sound decent.

I actually bought my S3 not knowing about the GPF but since it's a few months old now it's away in for a GPF delete and decat. So it should sound decent.

I actually bought my S3 not knowing about the GPF but since it's a few months old now it's away in for a GPF delete and decat. So it should sound decent.

There goes your entire warranty, Audi will not cover anything even if it had nothing to do with the exhaust. That is if your car is brand new,you said you had it for a few months, may be second hand.

There goes your entire warranty, Audi will not cover anything even if it had nothing to do with the exhaust. That is if your car is brand new,you said you had it for a few months, may be second hand.

I'm aware of that. My warranty doesn't mean that much to me.

I'm aware of that. My warranty doesn't mean that much to me.

Audi will only wash their hands of it anyway.
Their usual answer... Nothing to do with us.
What ever happened to good old fashion customer service eh!

Sell you a £40,000 car shaking your hand and kissing your butt, when you leave they forget all about you and spit in your face if you try to complain.

Audi will only wash their hands of it anyway.
Their usual answer... Nothing to do with us.
What ever happened to good old fashion customer service eh!

Sell you a £40,000 car shaking your hand and kissing your butt, when you leave they forget all about you and spit in your face if you try to complain.

Precisely my point mate, we all know what they're like. I have an indy for services and chances of a recall are slim and even if I need one then I have a guy so really we can get under the radar if it was an issue.

I think in standard form it's a great car but can be improved so I will be doing that and any other issue I'm willing to foot the bill, simple as that. It's a risk you take.

Reactions: Bryant1998 and DW81
It really is pants...

I do love my S3 Saloon even though it is post WLTP. Still a great car all round for the money IMHO.

I’m starting to think that this is my last new car that I’ll be having because there just isnt anything in a similar price band that I want.

I’ve been having a look around at different PCP deals as well and these seem to becoming more expensive. We’re looking at going to one car only (just an idea right now) and the new 118i M sport was an option but it was only £18/month cheaper than my S3....didn’t stack up.

So I reckon I’ve done my last PCP as well.

I’ve always wanted one (for some reason) but a bikini topped series 2 Landy it is.

We’ll just get a bigger Hyundai for the Wife

Just a car init....never thought I’d say that.

On the plus side the value of my car, according to WBAC as gone up over £2k since March....I took it in for a test and they didn’t try knocking me down either.

Reactions: Bryant1998
Not my first decatted car so again, not a problem.

Not just an MOT to worry about now, noise regulations coming into force is what you need to be concerned about. All it will take is for a neighbour to put in a complaint and the police will be able to confiscate your car if they find it to be illegal which it will be without a CAT and GPF fitted.