Door Ambient Lights A3 8V Sportback

ZeA38VSport

Reaction score
Hi I am wondering if anyone is able to help. I have bought a RGB light kit off AliExpress, that has a controller module with some lights and some subcontroller modules (over Bluetooth) for door pocket/handle lights.
I have managed to wire/code both door ambient light and door handle light and tested that they work fine with Red leds.
For some reason when I add the subcontroller module, it ?trips the supply from door module. If I remove the subcontroller, the other 'test' led works fine again.
I did test multiple times, tested the subcontroller module against the ambient light pin and against door handle light pin from door module, with red leds and then against the subcontroller. Same issue everytime.
At one stage after checking wires I connected the door card back on, whilst the car was running, so main controller was already on (ignition On) that sends the signal to subcontroller that I had in the door card, the door light turned On and stayed On until i turned the ignition Off and back On, it tripped again.
The kit is rated 12Volt, under 12Watt and it works fine when wired through power socket/cig lighter. I have tested kit before testing in car with 9V batteries and it works as expected.
I wonder if there is something that needs adjusting for the ambient/door handle light supply via vagcom? That might help it accept the subcontroller through door module.
I understand it could be something to do with current overdraw that the door module doesn't like.
Vagcom scan shows electrical failure for ambient door. I can post detailed scan if that will help.
I have seen the kit fitted to some Golfs but not sure of A3.
Anyone able to help please.

Reactions: Check5
You’re overloading the door controller ambient pin with the sub controller which the door controller then shuts the pin down to protect itself from damage.

The ambient pin is designed to power very small loads that the OEM ambient lighting draws, it’s not designed for a sub controller which obviously is drawing more.

Thanks, I thought it was doing that but didn't know it was possible when rest of module is working.
Anyway I am trying to work out what those subcontrollers consume. There are many buyers of Golf, some Mercedes and BMW, and few different Lexus/Honda/Toyota that have fitted same kit in doors, from the product reviews.

Any chance you know the max those pins supply? The puddle/warning lights come with 5W bulbs in A3 8V.

My multimeter is broke so I had to drain couple of 9V batteries, and as a rough estimate I think the subcontroller is not consuming more than 4Watts.
There is also dimming control through MMI for ambient light and the door handle light seems to have dimming control through the dimmer in light switch.
I might try and adjust default power to 50% to test and then to 100% to see if changing that helps.
Even considering adding resistor to subcontroller, as it clearly works with 9V battery as well.

Thanks again for your reply. I will update if I get anywhere without messing up the door controllers.

I don't know what the pins can supply, its not something I have looked into as I only fit OEM lighting, nothing wrong with aftermarket stuff but for me its not worth the risk of something going wrong on a customers car.

Good luck!

Reactions: ZeA38VSport
I have managed to make it work.
With 9V battery, the subcontroller seemed to be drawing about 130mA.
I used a voltage divider circuit approach to reduce voltage from 12V from door module to 9.5V for subcontroller, with 47ohm and 220ohm resistor. 1/2W resistor were heating up quick so I changed them to 2W resistors. All good now.

Attachments

• IMG_20210226_181612.jpg
    IMG_20210226_181612.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 275
  • IMG-20210226-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20210226-WA0010.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 195
Reactions: Check5
Just finished this massive project.
2 light sources per Door through subcontroller connected to ambient pin

Front vents and lower light strip with cupholder pin..8 lights in total..

Footwell set with footwell pin..4 lights

Front upper light strip, sides of central console, cupHolder and armRest lights with Ambient pin... 6 lights

Turn on when doors Open during day and night.
And On during night when driving with other lights (Auto)
MMI control for power On and Off when doors shut
App control for lights On and Off, and color change

Attachments

• IMG_20210404_220933.jpg
    IMG_20210404_220933.jpg
    710.2 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_20210404_220752.jpg
    IMG_20210404_220752.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20210404_220514.jpg
    IMG_20210404_220514.jpg
    755.7 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20210404_220436.jpg
    IMG_20210404_220436.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_20210404_220355.jpg
    IMG_20210404_220355.jpg
    942.9 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20210404_220236.jpg
    IMG_20210404_220236.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 195
  • IMG_20210404_220216.jpg
    IMG_20210404_220216.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 205
  • IMG_20210319_220447.jpg
    IMG_20210319_220447.jpg
    576.3 KB · Views: 178
Just finished this massive project.
2 light sources per Door through subcontroller connected to ambient pin

Front vents and lower light strip with cupholder pin..8 lights in total..

Footwell set with footwell pin..4 lights

Front upper light strip, sides of central console, cupHolder and armRest lights with Ambient pin... 6 lights

Turn on when doors Open during day and night.
And On during night when driving with other lights (Auto)
MMI control for power On and Off when doors shut
App control for lights On and Off, and color change
Sorry for reviving an old thread but I got the ali express kit myself. How do you get the ambient light to come on when the door is opened?

Hi

I wired in doors using ambient pin in the door modules. They have to be activated with software. Also, I had to adapt the kit to work with that supply. The kit was draining more than pin was programmed to supply so it kept tripping door module. I experimented with resistor combination to reduce voltage uptake of light kit.
So this approach may not work with most kits.

Reactions: maday007
Hi

I wired in doors using ambient pin in the door modules. They have to be activated with software. Also, I had to adapt the kit to work with that supply. The kit was draining more than pin was programmed to supply so it kept tripping door module. I experimented with resistor combination to reduce voltage uptake of light kit.
So this approach may not work with most kits.
Can you share the coding you used for your setup?