Door Puddle Lights

Jimouk

Reaction score
Thinking of changing the standard LED door puddle lights to these:
http://www.stokeaudi-parts.co.uk/products/Audi-Beam:-Quattro-Puddle-Lights.html

Anyone have any experience in swapping these over, is it as simple as popping the existing cover off and clipping in the new ones? It's a dealer accessory option so can't see them taking the door card off etc...

Any advice much appreciated.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    244.8 KB · Views: 946
Cool will have a look, more worried about breaking anything on the car ha ha

They will be dead easy to swap out mate. There are people on here that will tell you how to do it step by step. Try the B8 section stickies for guides. Lights will just be the same as that model.

Hi,
I "installed" the below the other day. About a 2 min job per door. Not a perfect fit but they are secure and I like them for £14.

VOYOMO(TM) Car Door LED Lighting Entry Laser Ghost Shadow Projector Welcome Lamp Log... Amazon product

Reactions: h1r4, ScottishA4B9 and scotty76
Hi,
I "installed" the below the other day. About a 2 min job per door. Not a perfect fit but they are secure and I like them for £14.View attachment 83428

VOYOMO(TM) Car Door LED Lighting Entry Laser Ghost Shadow Projector Welcome Lamp Log... Amazon product

They look good! Any chance of a quick how to guide? How did you get the lights out to replace with the new?

Cheers

in a B9, Use a flat edge screwdriver or plastic alternative is better save you scratching your under door if you slip. Tackle the light from the door hinge side at the narrow end of the light gently press the flat edge between the light unit and door trim once under it gently either twist the screw driver or you can lever it out. Be gentle as the end of the light can snap if you're not in further enough. Once this end comes down, pull it out with your fingers. The front doors give you more cable to play with so tackles these first, unplug the light via the black locking clip - Non Audi Gen part type (ie off ebay you have two wires which come with the pack to ensure the socket wire can be connected. Look at the solid brown wire on the Car cable and connect the red wire to it and the other black wire to the brown & white wire (i think it has a trace white in it or green), look at the exiting light you took off and note how your brown wire went into the pin of the light unit and just match it with the new light unit just to ensure you have the right wires connected. When placing back in they're a tight fit so push therm home firmly, ensure you have the right orientationof the logo, imagine you open the door and you should be able to read the logo the right way as you set in the car.
I would assume the £70 Gen audi lights you will have the matching socket so expensive but its a genuine part ( doesn't void your warranty) bare this in mind just in case your Chinese version melt !!! Ill let you know if mine do !! ps tackle all four doors in the same way. ps there is a youtube video out there too.

Last edited:
But on a B9 aren't the door puddle lights / courtesy lights installed in the door handle. They are on my quattro........

But on a B9 aren't the door puddle lights / courtesy lights installed in the door handle. They are on my quattro........

There are some in the handles but also under the doors which are brighter and allow for these kinds of things to be fitted.

Correct my allroad A4 2017 has lights on the underside of the handles which was a nice surprised when I got it, as I didn't realise for a few weeks having not driven at the night. but also I have led lights under the door bottom which are great if your in a dark area.
The only issue with the logo leds replacements I've installed off eBay is with a taller ride height of the allroad the logo isn't as pronounced as I would like or I think. So I wounder if the Audi genuine parts are a better display then eBay ones or it may be simply that it's not as dark as winter at 11pm!

Last edited:
Reactions: Daggerit
I would say you get what you pay for here. I bought the ebay for the missus car and they are ok but not that bright and projection onto the floor is a bit blurry and edges fade. On the genuine audi rings they are really bright and crisp on the floor.

Reactions: Riko0073
I would say you get what you pay for here. I bought the ebay for the missus car and they are ok but not that bright and projection onto the floor is a bit blurry and edges fade. On the genuine audi rings they are really bright and crisp on the floor.
I was just about to say you can pick these up for about £7 online but you never know what the quality is like.

If anyone has had any joy with the cheap ones let me know.

Thinking of changing the standard LED door puddle lights to these:
http://www.stokeaudi-parts.co.uk/products/Audi-Beam:-Quattro-Puddle-Lights.html

View attachment 82376
Anyone have any experience in swapping these over, is it as simple as popping the existing cover off and clipping in the new ones? It's a dealer accessory option so can't see them taking the door card off etc...

Any advice much appreciated.

I've got a genuine set in the for sale section on here!

Quattro logo taken from my S3 but fit my S4 as had 2 sets and put the other set in the rear doors.

They're not cheap and yes you can get some cheap Chinese copies but I wouldn't risk putting something that have rumours of overheating in my pride and joy.

Give me a pm if interested.

Agreed!

Just an up date from my original installation of the ebay puddle lights. I’ve taken them out as the quality of the display is poor especially when it’s dusk as their very faint and not really noticeable until its completely dark. Maybe effected by my ride height to others. I’ve replaced them with genuine ring logo ones £80 which are far far superior. Note I got these but didn’t check the plug size there are two sizes slim or large my car required the large type being a b9 2017 model so check your socket size, I got the wrong size but use the adapter wires of the ebay ones to connect them.

Reactions: Grubb and bobinder
Just an up date from my original installation of the ebay puddle lights. I’ve taken them out as the quality of the display is poor especially when it’s dusk as their very faint and not really noticeable until its completely dark. Maybe effected by my ride height to others. I’ve replaced them with genuine ring logo ones £80 which are far far superior. Note I got these but didn’t check the plug size there are two sizes slim or large my car required the large type being a b9 2017 model so check your socket size, I got the wrong size but use the adapter wires of the ebay ones to connect them.
Do you have a link to the eBay ones?

Sorry, long buried in my ebay buys.
If you wish You can have mine for£5 send us a private pm to arrange.

Did I read somewhere that you should be careful with the eBay versions melting though?

Did I read somewhere that you should be careful with the eBay versions melting though?
That's why I spent stupid money on the genuine sets for peace of mind and no cheap rubbish on my pride and joy

Just bought a pair of these for £3.97 on eBay delivered from Thailand. I’m almost certain they won’t arrive, won’t work, will be rubbish quality or will set on fire. I’ll let you know when I collect my car.

Just bought a pair of these for £3.97 on eBay delivered from Thailand. I’m almost certain they won’t arrive, won’t work, will be rubbish quality or will set on fire. I’ll let you know when I collect my car.
Nooo...don't do it!

Is it really worth the risk on such a lovely car to even chance them overheating??

Nooo...don't do it!

Is it really worth the risk on such a lovely car to even chance them overheating??
In all honestly I only bought them on a whim. I was considering the genuine ones but they’re just a bit too expensive for what they are.

I’m almost certain they will be sh*t but I’m curious to see how they look. If I really like the look of a logo puddle light I’ll invest in some proper ones which I’ll sell when I get a new car in two years but I have a feeling the novelty will wear off and I won’t be that bothered.

But thinking about it, surely the lights are only powered and illuminated for a few seconds while getting in and out of the car, how hot could they get?

In all honestly I only bought them on a whim. I was considering the genuine ones but they’re just a bit too expensive for what they are.

I’m almost certain they will be sh*t but I’m curious to see how they look. If I really like the look of a logo puddle light I’ll invest in some proper ones which I’ll sell when I get a new car in two years but I have a feeling the novelty will wear off and I won’t be that bothered.

But thinking about it, surely the lights are only powered and illuminated for a few seconds while getting in and out of the car, how hot could they get?
I'm sure the cheaper ones will be fine, I personally wanted to buy OEM and the quality is very good.

There have been reports of overheating but not sure how but with electrics you just never know.

I've had them now on my S3 and S4 and they are great every time I open the door, a nice touch of quality and don't get bored of seeing them.

Reactions: A4AvantBlackEdition
I'm sure the cheaper ones will be fine, I personally wanted to buy OEM and the quality is very good.

There have been reports of overheating but not sure how but with electrics you just never know.

I've had them now on my S3 and S4 and they are great every time I open the door, a nice touch of quality and don't get bored of seeing them.
Knowing my luck they will burst into flames and burn my car to the ground.

Reactions: france71
Does the new BE not have the four rings puddle lights as standard? I don’t have a glue, but half hoping they do! Probably wishful thinking.

Does the new BE not have the four rings puddle lights as standard? I don’t have a glue, but half hoping they do! Probably wishful thinking.
Not that I know of... if anyone with a new BE could let me know.

If they do already have them, I have a top quality set for sale, definitely not a cheap pair from Thailand. £50 or best offer. ;)

Reactions: Daggerit
Just a note to those fitting bits and pieces to their cars. Buy a kit that allows you to remove trim etc.

Like this: https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/12pc...oval-Pry-Tools-Kit-SA605-P00/32816414308.html

or

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/WORK...ndows-Trim-Removal-Installer/32804389097.html

That way you won't get the plastic trim broken/scratched etc.

I bought a kit like this to fit things on my B7 model (like Bluetooth) and it made life much easier.

Might also be worth trying any fake lights out off the car on a spare 12V battery/power supply and run/soak test (covered to give the enclosed effect like in the car ) for 24H to see if they get hot or give a problem.

Last edited:
It does have the puddle light under the door actually, but no logos

sure was fast, wasted 15 minutes putting them on ebay, lesson learnt there!

I noticed the on the RS3 Saloon I drove last week that the puddle lights were not the usual “Audi rings” or “quattro” but “Audi Sport” complete with red logo!

Reactions: Riko0073