Double Glazing question?

TDI

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had a few quotes to replace my exisiting patio door. Just wanted to know if anyone on here has used Anglian and what your opinion of them was on the service they provided. I was a bit shocked as they quoted a really high figure only to reduce by more than half the cost when i said it was too much.

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I`ve got a mate who runs his own D/G firm, the mark-up on Doors/Windows is almost unbelievable.
I would go with a reccomendation from someone you know has had work carried out satisfactorily. The actual product ie doors or windows are not the problem, it`s the dopey cnut that`s fitting them!

[ QUOTE ]
The actual product ie doors or windows are not the problem, it`s the dopey cnut that`s fitting them!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha Ha Ha PMSL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif Too true.....

[ QUOTE ]
it`s the dopey cnut that`s fitting them!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gifCheers

you mean "Anglian Home Improvements"? (aka Anglian Windows and White Knight)

I didn`t mean that to sound so brutal or generalising /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (just in case there are any window fitters on the forum
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif)

As usual there are good and bad out there.
Hope you find a goodun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

BTW make sure your happy with the type of locks and security.

[ QUOTE ]
I didn`t mean that to sound so brutal or generalising /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (just in case there are any window fitters on the forum
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif)

As usual there are good and bad out there.
Hope you find a goodun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

BTW make sure your happy with the type of locks and security.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do cheers buddy!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I'd always tend to go for a local independent firm with a good rep rather than a national chain.

My parents had a huuuge set of white Upvc patio doors fitted by Anglian in about 1981.......(2 very large panes of fixed glass with one door that via a turn of the handle lifts out of its closed position and slides along a track on the inside of the room).
They were delighted with it and after about 12 years the sealed unit glass became rather cloudy (apparently with age the double-glazed units lose their sealed status and can allow moisture in,causing the glass to go cloudy).
Anglian were called out (even though it was well outside the warranty period) but wouldn't replace the glass as it was so old......fair play, at least they came to look at it,rather than just saying 'no' to my folks......
My parents later got a local glass firm to make new sealed-glass units to fit and still the patio doors look as-new,bearing in mind they are getting on for 25 years old now....
When it came to me needing a new front door for my house I went with Anglian and only on Tuesday they installed mine....
The workman came on time, was polite and did a great job (believe me , I am fussy ),I'd totally recommend them.
Having had cheaper, local double glazing fitted (my kitchen door for example),the difference in quality is readily apparent.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My parents had a huuuge set of white Upvc patio doors fitted by Anglian in about 1981.......(2 very large panes of fixed glass with one door that via a turn of the handle lifts out of its closed position and slides along a track on the inside of the room).
They were delighted with it and after about 12 years the sealed unit glass became rather cloudy (apparently with age the double-glazed units lose their sealed status and can allow moisture in,causing the glass to go cloudy).
Anglian were called out (even though it was well outside the warranty period) but wouldn't replace the glass as it was so old......fair play, at least they came to look at it,rather than just saying 'no' to my folks......
My parents later got a local glass firm to make new sealed-glass units to fit and still the patio doors look as-new,bearing in mind they are getting on for 25 years old now....
When it came to me needing a new front door for my house I went with Anglian and only on Tuesday they installed mine....
The workman came on time, was polite and did a great job (believe me , I am fussy ),I'd totally recommend them.
Having had cheaper, local double glazing fitted (my kitchen door for example),the difference in quality is readily apparent.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But you won`t get the same fitter in Milton Keynes that you had in Bridgend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

just make sure they make it to fit tightly, some companys just make them to within 10 mm all round then just bung up the gaps !!!!

But you won`t get the same fitter in Milton Keynes that you had in Bridgend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You never know, those Mercedes Sprinter vans are quite quick......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Making doors and windows smaller is a pretty standard practice. Allowing anything up to 10mm (5mm per side) to the tightest measurement in the opening allows for door to be positioned perfectly square. All doors and windows are "bunged up" after fitting, if you didn't you would get leaks through, some will put a pvc strip along the edges of the door/window to cover the silicone line some dont, as long as its done properly it doesn't notice. I've been a pvc fabricator for 6 years now for a local company and have had many an argument with a friend who works for zenith/staybright windows over who's are best. As i get to see how the windows are made, from bar lengths of pvc to fitted windows there really isn't much in it between a local company and a national firm. If you have a local firm that has a good rep i'd go with them and with the money you save maybe buy some new toys for the car.

Once again I thank you all for your input, i value your opinion greatly. I think i'll stick to a local firm as they were cheaper and polite. The salesman from Anglian just kept ring us for an answer. Can't stand pushy people.

Cheers Guys!

Remember to keep refusing their quote - the price will go down and down.
Got a quote on some balcony doors that was a quarter of the original price by the time we finished.

And make sure that they issue you with a FENSA certificate once the job is done...

It'll save problems when you come to sell.

Kev.