Downpipe Gasket(s)

kwistof

South East Events Moderator
Reaction score
Hi all,

So it's been just over a year since I had my Relentless 3" DP and Sports Cat fitted and in the past month or so the supplied (copper I think) gasket has started to blow....wanted to change it when I had the items fitted but didn't have the time and so thought I'd run it until it went.

ANYWAY....I am possibly going to get the car de-cat'd and I have just called TPS who have advised me that the OEM system requires 2 gaskets in a 3 bolt fitment for the DP-Cat.

Just wanted to make sure this was correct? as I haven't seen it clearly mentioned that you require 2 of them and I am sure I recall the DP to Cat requires 2 bolts :huh:

Any help please?

Cheers

Chris

Use an OE K04 turbo to DP gasket (3 bolt) and use high temp silicon sealant for the 2 bolt flange... the supplied gaskets with relentless stuff is next to actual useless...

<tuffty/>

Tbh Paul my turbo to downpipe gasket has actually survived the past 16-18k miles I've put on the car, some of which have been very hard driving. (Just cursed it now though :laugh: )

It's just the 3" downpipe to sports cat that has probably disintegrated with time.
When the cat was taken off recently it was apparently quiet difficult to see down which isn't good though :( will try out that gasket Bob posted up and also some high temp silicone sealant. Then when/if the Turbo-DP gasket goes I'll get that changed but obviously that will be a pig of a job :-/

Out of interest, what would the OEM cat-back system on the S3 hold/flow? Been reading it's okay for stage 2 as the DP/cat is where the EGTs will rise.

Cheers
Chris

The double cat is a little restrictive but the OE DP is the main one... problem is in fitting a 3" DP you loose the ability to use the OE cats so there will be no data available... most aftermarket cats are not the best quality and tend to shrink and collapse over time...

<tuffty/>

Yeah I don't think my cat is in great order- not to sure about it shrinking, but will find out soon enough.

How does the cat-back and rear back box rate when tuning buddy? What's the sort of restriction on those as I will be possibly getting my car remapped but with the OEM cat-back system on it.

I used a 3" DP, after market 200 cell cat and OE exhaust system when I first did my BT conversion... it made 340hp and EGTs tripped the over temp ceiling (well over 1000 degrees)... essentially anything other than stage 2 on a std K04 I'd be looking at binning it

EGT's got so high that it wasted my CAT... it shrunk and turned around in the exhaust essentially blocking it... needless to say that got removed..

<tuffty/>

Reactions: kwistof
That's put a few worries laid to bed now as I will be going for custom stage 2 and there is no way I will hitting 300bhp with this set up and current turbo.

Cheers for the info - very useful :icon_thumright: