DPF delete and remap questions

Adnic69

Reaction score
Hi all

I have had my 170tdi for about 6 weeks and love it to bits. I was always going to remap it and have been looking at all the options out there and what can be done. A few days before I got the car I read up about the DPF removal and custom code remap that JBS offer and thought this would be the way forward, however I have not had a single problem with the dpf so wonder will I get any benefit from removing.
I have tried searching to see what peoples opinions are after haveing the dpf removed and the custom code remap but can't find anything. Can anyone quide me in the right direction or give me their thoughts.

Any thoughts or advise welcome.

Adam

From what i know, if you remap with the dpf in place.. You should see upto 200hp. Anymore than that, people have had issues.

If you want more power, get the dpf delete pipe from JBS and you should see around 230/240hp.

As a side note, JBS charge a lot of money for remaping and supposedly removing errors msgs when the dpf pipe is fitted. If you want a more cost effective method drop me a pm. I have a friend who owns a remap company that can do this - fit the dpf delete, remove errors codes and remap for a lot cheaper.

Reactions: J3ffy
Theres a few other companies that also do the dpf delete software. A much cheaper option is asking a local garage to remove the dpf internals and then get the dpf delete software. A mate of mine got a supersprint delete pipe and dpf delete software from fr&rtuning in west yorkshire for this 10 plate vw scirocco.

Reactions: NasSh
If you drive like an old granny you will have dpf problems, but if you drive like my wife does then you will not! The one thing that makes dpf removal difficult is quattro, I do not believe that anyone makes the pipe for them, so you have to do a lot of dismantleing of the extra transmission to get to it and then take it to bits empty it weld it back up and hope all is ok.

Thanks for the replies gents.
I am begining to think that a dpf pipe from JBS or remove dpf internals as suggested above would be a good bet, following then by a remap by AMD or MRC.
Can anyone send me a link to a post that gives before and after reports for dpf removal.

Are MCR/AMD classed as good in the diesel tunning world. Again, anyone had a remap by either of these.

Does anyone have before and after graphs showing power/torque from DPF removal?

I've not got any but it is much stronger afterwards everywhere, the lag sub 1700rpm is also gone that made low speed 2nd gear a bit juddery. I'm finding absolutely no difference in mpg though, but it is a long term cure to any DPF problems I suppose.

Reactions: J3ffy
Removing the DPF is without a shadow of a doubt the best way to go, both for performance and reliability reasons.

The DPF delete services we offer are available on the web link below:-
Diesel De-Dpf - Exhausts - JBS

The only other problems which generally occur on 170PPD engines are the DPF pressure sensors and occasionally we see people with EGT sensor faults, not distinction in these problems though whether the vehicle is standard or tuned!

If anyone has any questions on the DPF delete service we have to offer, please do not hesitate to ask either by calling me direct on 01246 455 005 or email us at office@jbsautodesigns.co.uk.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Seb Hampson
Parts/Sales Advisor.

I had the custom code stage two remap with a miltek DPF with JBS, worth every penny. i wouldnt risk saving 200 quid to get a £10,000+ car remaped..

Hi all

I have had my 170tdi for about 6 weeks and love it to bits. I was always going to remap it and have been looking at all the options out there and what can be done. A few days before I got the car I read up about the DPF removal and custom code remap that JBS offer and thought this would be the way forward, however I have not had a single problem with the dpf so wonder will I get any benefit from removing.
I have tried searching to see what peoples opinions are after haveing the dpf removed and the custom code remap but can't find anything. Can anyone quide me in the right direction or give me their thoughts.

Adam

One point that you may not have thought about and may not even be relevant as far as you're concerned but if you ever consider taking you car to Germany your car will not be allowed to enter quite a number (32 at the last count) of German cities. This is because of the German Umwelt scheme where cars have to meet certain emissions requirements to be issued with a Level 4 sticker which allows entry to these cities. The DPF is a requirement for any diesel car to meet Level 4. If you do go into a city without the appropriate sticker you can be fined by the Police or a Traffic Warden a fixed penalty fine of €40.

I am just in the process of obtaining a sticker for my 2.0TDI-140 CR A3 as I am going to Germany for a holiday in June and again in September to visit the Motor Show in Frankfurt. To take my car into Frankfurt I need a Level 4 Unwelt sticker or risk a €40 fine.

Reactions: NasSh
you must write the file 1st when there are no DPF code errors, then you can remove the filter.

The DPF removals make a MASSIVE difference, you will get power on its own from this.. plus you can then run a richer mixture without the filter blocking or smoke errors.

Andy

hi guys i had my dpf removed on my car couple of weeks back and there is alot of white/blue smoke coming from exhaust would the remap cause this? all i know is they knocked out the honey comb from the casing and put the dpf back on and remapped the ecu he struggled to get it on at first not sure hes done a lot remapping with dpf before, he using another company for his mapping stuff called Home | Torquetronix any suggestions what it can be, i got Audi roadside assistance cover i used them cose i thought the map was good he starting telling me then i shouldnt of removed the dpf but he would say that cose hes audi but anyway he couldnt see any problem with my car it said got to be the dpf and what they done.

Hi Red

Can I suggest that if you are having any worries or problems you give Torquetronix a call. The man you want to talk to is David Wishard but should get him by just asking for David. I would talk to him and ask him what he thinks might be causing the smoke. I'm sure that he'll talk to you about it. If not just me a PM.

Just on another note that I'm sure you all know but it will become illegal to remove DPF filters next year on newer cars just like cat they are a MOT requirement. The nice part for the tuning companies will be if VOSA /DFT go the same way a they have with adblue and go after the tuning company if the customer tells them who did it. Why would the customer do that do I hear you say, well it's them or the tuner being prosecuted. Also the "it's only for track use seems to not work too well either"

A :)

Hi Red

Can I suggest that if you are having any worries or problems you give Torquetronix a call. The man you want to talk to is David Wishard but should get him by just asking for David. I would talk to him and ask him what he thinks might be causing the smoke. I'm sure that he'll talk to you about it. If not just me a PM.

Just on another note that I'm sure you all know but it will become illegal to remove DPF filters next year on newer cars just like cat they are a MOT requirement. The nice part for the tuning companies will be if VOSA /DFT go the same way a they have with adblue and go after the tuning company if the customer tells them who did it. Why would the customer do that do I hear you say, well it's them or the tuner being prosecuted. Also the "it's only for track use seems to not work too well either"

Posted about this a little earlier, from what VOSA have said it'll be based more on the smoke test as it can be near impossible to check if the DPF is still in situ.

Sorry to hijack the post, but I didn't think it was a requirement to have a cat on a diesel?

I know you'll fail with a petrol, but I thought diesels could remove their cat without problems at MOT time as it is just a smoke test & not an emissions test?

I had the DPF removal service done - on my Audi 2.0 TDi 170bhp - similar experience - had the DPF removed - remapped and tuned - initially great performance but after 3 weeks and 400 miles the DPF warning light was again, white / blue smoke and engine into limp mode - had it remapped AGAIN and assured that a new sensor had been fitted but same problems after another 2 weeks - any advice - greatly appreciated, thanks.

hi guys i had my dpf removal done at JBS and a custom code map, which took alot longer than expected, the car felt awesome afterwards, however they couldnt rolling road my car with it been dsg and didnt know how to do it, so i went to the tuner ive used with previous cars and had it rolling roaded, and the results were very shocking, as JBS claims the mod makes 200+bhp mine had 189bhp n i have graphs to prove it and i then got him to do his own map which took him next to no time and made 212bhp, ive been running his map and the DPF delete for over a year now and done 30k miles and its been awesome best mod ive done, the other week i got the engine management light on and it was the exhaust temp sensor which is located in the pipe where the DPF was, renewed the sensor and all is good again, hope this info is of some help.

cheers chris

Sorry to hijack the post, but I didn't think it was a requirement to have a cat on a diesel?

I know you'll fail with a petrol, but I thought diesels could remove their cat without problems at MOT time as it is just a smoke test & not an emissions test?

Diesel engines are not fitted with a cat but are fitted with a DPF. The engine will not meet the emission requirements that the engine was required to meet when it was new without a DPF. Removing the DPF means that your car will have changed significantly from the original Type Approval that the manufacturer obtained that your car should fail an MOT.

I have owned three A3s, an unremapped 140 with no DPF, a 170 with a DPF and a 140 remapped to 175 with a DPF and neither of the two with the DPF have given any trouble at all. My current A3 (remapped 140 with DPF) is nearly 3 years old and will be traded-in when my new A3 170 arrives in Feb/Mar 2012. I'm sure that the price the dealer has offered me would be less if they had to replace the DPF before it would pass the MOT.

Last edited:
hi guys i had my dpf removal done at JBS and a custom code map, which took alot longer than expected, the car felt awesome afterwards, however they couldnt rolling road my car with it been dsg and didnt know how to do it, so i went to the tuner ive used with previous cars and had it rolling roaded, and the results were very shocking, as JBS claims the mod makes 200+bhp mine had 189bhp n i have graphs to prove it and i then got him to do his own map which took him next to no time and made 212bhp, ive been running his map and the DPF delete for over a year now and done 30k miles and its been awesome best mod ive done, the other week i got the engine management light on and it was the exhaust temp sensor which is located in the pipe where the DPF was, renewed the sensor and all is good again, hope this info is of some help.

cheers chris

My car was manual and that wasn't rolling roaded either, but I would be seriously impressed if yours is faster than mine was as I felt it was pushing the limits of the clutch and felt mega quick.

Does make sense as mine felt extremely keen on light throttle.

I had the DPF removal service done - on my Audi 2.0 TDi 170bhp - similar experience - had the DPF removed - remapped and tuned - initially great performance but after 3 weeks and 400 miles the DPF warning light was again, white / blue smoke and engine into limp mode - had it remapped AGAIN and assured that a new sensor had been fitted but same problems after another 2 weeks - any advice - greatly appreciated, thanks.

Had the same problem with mine too, duff sensor. One of the wires was slightly loose so it was only showing intermittently, took them a while to find it but has been fine since. Get them to change the sensor.

Had my 170 Quattro 57 plate for 1month (FASH & 50k on the clock), already had a new turbo and injectors! And now the DPF light is on. It won't regenerate and its in limp mode, gutted.

Can anyone recommend a garage in the Midlands to get the DPF removed both hardware and software? Need it sorted ASAP for work.

Thanks in advance.

Had my 170 Quattro 57 plate for 1month (FASH & 50k on the clock), already had a new turbo and injectors! And now the DPF light is on. It won't regenerate and its in limp mode, gutted.

Can anyone recommend a garage in the Midlands to get the DPF removed both hardware and software? Need it sorted ASAP for work.

Thanks in advance.

I had mine done by Trups at EMTuning.co.uk in Northamptonshire. Excellent results, customer service and price :) He's an advertiser on this forum so check out his section; or give him a call/email through the website.

Thanks v1raj, I will contact Trups, he sorted my interior lights - greet job too

Fingers crossed!

Diesel engines are not fitted with a cat but are fitted with a DPF. The engine will not meet the emission requirements that the engine was required to meet when it was new without a DPF. Removing the DPF means that your car will have changed significantly from the original Type Approval that the manufacturer obtained that your car should fail an MOT.

I have owned three A3s, an unremapped 140 with no DPF, a 170 with a DPF and a 140 remapped to 175 with a DPF and neither of the two with the DPF have given any trouble at all. My current A3 (remapped 140 with DPF) is nearly 3 years old and will be traded-in when my new A3 170 arrives in Feb/Mar 2012. I'm sure that the price the dealer has offered me would be less if they had to replace the DPF before it would pass the MOT.

Bringing an old thread up here as I am considering having the DPF removed on my 170.
I am just a little confused on the above post as I am pretty sure the 140 does not have a DPF???:think:

I apologise if I am wrong on this, but I know a few 140 owners and all say they have no DPF.

Im sure that was correct too. 140 TDI has no DPF and the 170 version does. Will do a little digging to see if the new 140's have them.

Pretty sure they have not mate, unless like you suggested that maybe the 140CR has, but I am still doubting it!

Hi all

Adam

Just had a remap/DPF removal/regen through evolution via Automak in Edinburgh on a 2009 Audi A3 2.0 TDi 140PS CR 8PA CBAB. The car is a new car, and without a doubt the DPF removal is the way to go, I also popped in a Green cotton air filter...Graham at Automak let me look under the car, and when its all bolted back up and DPF removed, when you have your MOT you can't tell if its removed...and with a proper remap, as with evo, and a proper regen to reset the ECU that there is no DPF, then you'll pass the smoke test...I'm happy now...I am trying upgrade my brakes to 312mm like the 170PS, but Nirro Ltd sent me the 288mm carriers already on the car...could not believe it....I picked up some bosch 312 discs and pads, just need the 312 carriers to fit the car...I see no reason to upgade clutch, as I am not upgrading exhaust/cat back, adding upgraded turbo, adding intercooler, injectors, rods, mounts, coilovers etc etc...I was almost convinced I needed a darkside upgraded clutch, but I'm was told my OEM clutch can more than handle the 18-190bhp I am getting, not sure of my Nm with torque, but I imagine its close to 400...

Sorry to hijack thread...but are there any other small mods I can do to add just a wee bit more bhp and torque without having to go the turbo/exhaust/injector/intercooler route?

That would explain it then, the newer 140CR has a DPF. I can sleep in peace now!

Had the same problem with mine too, duff sensor. One of the wires was slightly loose so it was only showing intermittently, took them a while to find it but has been fine since. Get them to change the sensor.

Its common to get this kind of issue. Apparentley common sensor fault with this engine. Hope you get it sorted soon mate and as stated above replace the ****** rubbish sensor:p!

im still a little unconvinced that it will pass a MOT with a either a proper dpf remover pipe and map or just gutting the dpf. surely all the talk about dpf removeal and all info about it be easy to find VOSA will beclued up on all of this. just alot of money to do either option then to have to refit dpf or have to replace the complete unit which is mega bucks.

because there not meant to have a dpf fitted and they are fitted a cat. within the next few years or even later this year if a vehicle is suppose to be fitted with a dpf and isnt it will fail a MOT. excatly the same as if you remove a cat and send it for MOT. big FAIL

so.....you fit a cat and do a regen...its just fine, and you can't 'look' and see if the DPF is removed...all you need to do is pass the smoke test...and if you get a good dpf removal regen, even without a new cat, you're fine...use good diesel fuel injector cleaner and use v-power diesel...basically, if you're a numpty and don't take care of your engine and injectors, and use crap fuel, then keep the DPF on....but if you care for the car, and have a proper regen and remap, you'll pass the MOT. Its a no brainer really.

Also, do realise you can't see the DPF unless you pull parts off, and really have to look...all you local garage is going to care about is does it pass the smoke test, and if you take care of your engine and injectors....

stange how when i was looking at mine on ramp the other day i could see the dpf. just follow the exhaust towards the engine. i just dont want to spend £400 getting it removed and then have to revert back to the old unit then have to get it remapped for the dpf

on an audi a3 2009 there is a bolt cover over the dpf....I watched my mechanic bolt it back over where the dpf used to be....again, take care of your engine, use a cleaner and v-power, and go to a proper place like revo or evo to get a removal regen, and your local garage could a toss if the dpf is gone (they won't even look) if it passes the smoke test...I guess it all depends on how anal your garage is...

Hi all

Adam
Thinking of doing this to?