DPF now to be part of the MOT

Oh no ! That will have a big affect on Dpf removal company's !

Oh dear mines gonna be failing then

Not good news at all, glad i got rid of my 170TDi earlier this year! Its utter balls anyway but theres not a lot you can do about it now i guess!

Are they doing an exhaust emmissions test or is it a soot test? As long as they cant see welds etc shud be fine if visual only

Its a visual only so them that got a bypass pipe will be worrying. The gutting and keeping the cannister was always the way forward but its the case of know your MOT'er.

Its a visual only so them that got a bypass pipe will be worrying. The gutting and keeping the cannister was always the way forward but its the case of know your MOT'er.

If you were keen, and had a bypass fitted, you could argue that the middle box is a DPF. The MOT tester isn't allowed to cut it open and it doesn;t have to be in a certain position.
You'd need to be fairly cheeky to try that though

Guy around here is charging £100 to cut them open, remove the contents and weld.
Personally I use the good old screwdriver / lumphammer / drill method (no welds required :) )

Guy around here is charging £100 to cut them open, remove the contents and weld.
Personally I use the good old screwdriver / lumphammer / drill method (no welds required :) )

Piece of scaffold tube here. bang it out through the centre to open op a hole. Highly technical

I have seen many a bodge job on DPF deletes as in remove sensors and weld up the holes etc etc. No need. Gut it, get the sensor soot levels down below 10% with force regen it and then remap it.....job done.

So how exactly do they know if it was fitted as standard? Mine apparently has one fitted according to the books/option codes but never had one, just a secondary cat (which got deleted).

They dont mate......all they will look for is the cannister. They have no way of detecting if the filter is actually fitted unless they do a proper system pressure test.

A quick cursory look at the exhaust pipe will tell them if the DPF is still there.
Mine has done 75K miles and it looks like new looking into the silencer.

I suspect they will introduce new levels for the smoke test for cars that should have a DPF. But I don't think they will be backdating this to something like 2009. Probably all cars from 2011 or something like that as they will all be EU5.

Karl.

They dont mate......all they will look for is the cannister. They have no way of detecting if the filter is actually fitted unless they do a proper system pressure test.

Sorry I meant for example if I had it replaced with a straight pipe, how would they know there actually is supposed to be one there in the first place.

Sorry I meant for example if I had it replaced with a straight pipe, how would they know there actually is supposed to be one there in the first place.

I wonder this too. Our VW Jetta has no DPF (was never fitted) but it's right on the edge of when they started fitting them. My local MOT place aren't the brightest, I fear arguments to come. :(

I wonder this too. Our VW Jetta has no DPF (was never fitted) but it's right on the edge of when they started fitting them. My local MOT place aren't the brightest, I fear arguments to come. :(

If its before 2011 (which I'd guess it will be if its on the edge of when fitment started), you wont have any issue. It'll only be cars on 11 plate or newer that have to comply

Reactions: scotty76
All the VAG commonrail diesels (as far as I know) are dpf equipped so if the tester knows it's a commonrail then he's gonna look for a dpf. Commonrails (in the Jetta at least) came in from 2008. I also have one of the 58 plate PD Jettas without a dpf. Bear in mind that the mot tester isn't allowed to remove anything for the mot test as such, so if the dpf is obscured by a "heatshield" or undertray, then all he can do is assume it's there and make a note of the visual check being obscured by the cover etc. Edit: The requirement for a dpf to be fitted to ensure Euro 5 compliance was September 2009.