DPF

Delboy78

Reaction score
DPF light came on on Friday. 20 minute blast on motorway and it went off. Today it's idling at 1000 rpm and start/stop not working.. Surely it shouldn't need doing again..

DPF light came on on Friday. 20 minute blast on motorway and it went off. Today it's idling at 1000 rpm and start/stop not working.. Surely it shouldn't need doing again..
Mines comes on after driving local but not a lot take on motorway give it a kicking and then it's fine. No issues with revs or stop start. But stop start can be temperamental some times. Ie if blowers on 2 or 3 it won't work.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If it’s idling at 1000rpm then it’s the dpf regenerating.
The stop start is to do with the battery. If the regeneration is pulling extra power from the battery then that might be why your stop start is playing up.

Stop/start in cars generally is typically sensitive other driving activities e.g. poor battery, low fuel and engine not up to temperature etc. I assume that it also switches off if a car is going through an "activated" DPF regen, during switch the ECU is trying to raise exhaust temperature - an action which would be hampered if the engine kept switching off.

My car does an occasional "activated" regen and I have noticed that sometimes it seems to do it after something like a 10 mile motorway run - as opposed to during the run. I guess that sometimes the temperature required is simply not maintained for long enough for the job to be 100% completed.

As a precaution I guess you could get the car plugged into some diagnostic software to ensure that (typically) a sensor is not giving the ECU erroneous information such that it (the ECU) thinks the DPF is continually too full.