Engine speed: 2872.00 /min
Vehicle speed: 255 km/h
Coolant temperature: 215 °C
selected gear: GANG_UNDEFINIERT
Engine torque: 300 Nm
Control Module temperature: 106 °C
Accelerator position: 81.2 %
DTC memory status: 255

The overheating happened when I was giving it a lot of gas in reverse. The first one is pretty old.

I cleared them and tried reversing again and then rescanned, no code was thrown.

Unfortunately it does sound like a major mechanical problem.

Thanks!

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

I finally finished the swap last weekend and drove about 250km. Unfortunately, I started having an issue when I pulled in to a parking lot. It made a loud clunking noise and juddered. I parked and turned it off for about 10 mins.

I turned it back on and tried to reverse but it barely moved and it wouldn't move in neutral with 2 people pushing. I was able to drive forward and shift through gears but it made a grinding noise that varied in loudness.

It's a 2013 dq500 from a RSQ3 swapped in to a 2012 GTI.

Any ideas?

Do you know what the build date is that's stamped into the gearbox near the starter motor?

Unfortunately I'm away for the week but I'm pretty sure it was in between the dates for the ones with synchro issues.

I drained the fluid and only about 1L came out. I only had 4L at the time, so I added it and ran it through the gears and there did seem to be some improvement.

When I get home on Monday I'm going to add some more and then do some more vigorous testing.

My mechanic says he filled it but I didn't see any leaks. I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if 4L+ of fluid was leaking from somewhere.

I'm hoping that's what it was and filling it will fix the issues, assuming no permanent damage was done.

Thanks!

I have a mk7 R with a dq250 that's slipping. I have access to a dq500 out of an awd Passat 2.0tdi. Would it be worth it to swap it into my car being it's a tdi?

Could I run the flywheel and mechatronics/transfer box that's on it or do I have to swap to rs3?

I dont think its the smart thing to do.
dq500 is a slower gearbox compared to dq250, and a lot heavyer.
Also mqb swap is more complex to do, not easy as the non mqb swaps.

What i would do: get some good clutches from Dima Deka in Ukraine , best clutches available for the dsg.
Also a lot cheaper than a swap.

I dont think its the smart thing to do.
dq500 is a slower gearbox compared to dq250, and a lot heavyer.
Also mqb swap is more complex to do, not easy as the non mqb swaps.

What i would do: get some good clutches from Dima Deka in Ukraine , best clutches available for the dsg.
Also a lot cheaper than a swap.

As macradiators has said, r.e the swap but it's usually the mechatronics that goes on the dq250 unless it's very high milage or the clutch has had a hard life.

Further to above, you'll have issues as you'll run into component protection with yours Adrian with it being MQB.

The MQB petrol engines use the 381 gearbox which is basically a 7 speed dq250 but with better mechatronics and lighter than the dq500 but that would also have component protection so not much point swapping gearboxes - unless you know a good tuner don't look at swapping gearboxes.

I'd probably suggest replacing the clutches, flywheel and mechatronics along with the speed sensor (just behind the mechatronics near the starter motor), it should be good to go.

Hope that helps

Thanks.

The issue is that I'm close to 500wtq causing slippage. All the clutch upgrades I saw were extremely expensive. Maybe I'll look into deka clutches stage 3 upgrade for $1450usd.

Reactions: grainqey
Thanks.

The issue is that I'm close to 500wtq causing slippage. All the clutch upgrades I saw were extremely expensive. Maybe I'll look into deka clutches stage 3 upgrade for $1450usd.

I've just re read your previous reply. I thought it was a diesel with you saying dq250. Go for an uprated clutch. I'd speak to a preferred tuner about the various choice of clutches however as it may be a different co-efficient of friction compared to a clutch that they would normally work with. Hth

You will be good with Deka clutch. You cant find any better on the market. Some run insane power on that thing. You also need good dsg map with increased pressure and calibrations of the dsg.

hallo i have a seat leon cupra late 2009 facelift wiht cdl engine code. i made it awd the past 2 years and know i want to switch the manual gearbox to dq500.
i found a dq500 petrol and i want to ask if all the petrol dq500 have similar gear ratios or not

No, different ratios between the 2.0TSI gearboxes and the RS3/TTRS gearbox(those are the ones with the best ratios as far as i'm aware). But the RS-boxes are harder to find, thus more expensive(i so happen to have an RS3 box, code NZV, for sale)

thanks a lot for the information, i already have 1 dq500 with code puz and i want to confirm that it is from petrol

Will either of these transfer cases work instead of 0A6409053AF or AH?

0CP409053A or 0CP409053G

They appear to be the successor to 0A6409053AJ, which was used on the Q3 8U and Tiguan 5N. They also look identical.

I can find one from an Atlas for a good price. It's hard for me to get 0A6409053AF/H over here.

Thanks!

Will either of these transfer cases work instead of 0A6409053AF or AH?

0CP409053A or 0CP409053G

They appear to be the successor to 0A6409053AJ, which was used on the Q3 8U and Tiguan 5N. They also look identical.

I can find one from an Atlas for a good price. It's hard for me to get 0A6409053AF/H over here.

Thanks!

You seem to be quoting part numbers for the front transfer box and rear differential with haldex coupling as if they are the same part.

Are you just struggling to find an 0A6 transfer box (the bit that bolts to the gearbox)

Thanks
Alex

0CP are easier to find

Are you sure? This is what I get when I search 0CP409053A:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153722567474

Sorry,

I was looking at the wrong part on the catalogue somehow!

As to whether it is an interchangeable part for those two part numbers, I'd probably say to get the matching rear haldex diff for that transfer box which may mean you can use any of these part numbers from my image...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200312-023011.png
    Screenshot_20200312-023011.png
    249.7 KB · Views: 810
Hallo please does any body know the right code for sequring part from dq500 transfer, because because i need it to sequre the transfer to my tfsi s3 8p engine and finish the conversion

I found two codes 0A6409905H and 0A6409905J for the sequre bracket does anybody know which one is right or another right code?

Is there any chance this post is still alive?

Wanted to ask Alex about DQ500but cant see a Private Message option.

Thanks.

I meant grainqey, he always post and sign as Alex.

Thanks

Trying to research a DQ500 swap for a couple of VWs.

Does anyone have a list of gearbox codes and build dates, plus avoiding the dreaded MQB component protection?

Trying to research a DQ500 swap for a couple of VWs.

Does anyone have a list of gearbox codes and build dates, plus avoiding the dreaded MQB component protection?
Component protection on the dq500 only affects the mqb chassis, doesnt matter on the pre mqb stuff as the gearboxes communicate with the car differently. Just avoid the 2013 ones as stated in this thread as there was a vw tpi for the syncromesh as per the thread and try to get something off a petrol basically.

The best source for actual gearbox codes is etka as you'll struggle to find any info on the ratios. When I did the swap I managed to find 3 different code ratios and that was it, no idea how much more info there is out there now.

HTH

Reactions: fran9r
Much appreciated thanks.
Petrol and Diesel Tiguan boxes have the same gearing 1-3rd, with an RS3 box providing about 5 mph more in first. And RS3 box would be good but very expensive.

I was interested to read your Tiguan box could use RS3 mechatronics no issues, very useful info just in case it all goes wrong for me...Can I ask, was your RS3 mech a Bosch, and the Tiguan Siemens? May make it easier to identify if I check a box out.

Is it possible to identify the build of gearbox and mechatronics from a VIN number?

I think I'm right in saying you used an NZS box, but had the component protection issue -that surprises me as people have used the NZS in R32/6 swaps and managed to get it working. Perhaps it's a box used on pre-MQB and MQB, some with and some without the component protection? Just to make it a bit more challenging.

Much appreciated thanks.
Petrol and Diesel Tiguan boxes have the same gearing 1-3rd, with an RS3 box providing about 5 mph more in first. And RS3 box would be good but very expensive.

I was interested to read your Tiguan box could use RS3 mechatronics no issues, very useful info just in case it all goes wrong for me...Can I ask, was your RS3 mech a Bosch, and the Tiguan Siemens? May make it easier to identify if I check a box out.

Is it possible to identify the build of gearbox and mechatronics from a VIN number?

I think I'm right in saying you used an NZS box, but had the component protection issue -that surprises me as people have used the NZS in R32/6 swaps and managed to get it working. Perhaps it's a box used on pre-MQB and MQB, some with and some without the component protection? Just to make it a bit more challenging.
I've no idea about bosch vs siemans for the tdi and petrol mechatronics, I still have the nzs mechatronic so could have a look who it's made by.

The nzs gearbox had faulty syncromesh shafts rather than a component protection issue, it was fine when cold then wouldn't rev match correctly once warm so would jolt when changing down from 3rd or 2nd

I found some info on DQ500 gearbox ratios when looking at the DQ250 swap in my TT. Here are some bits and pieces I saved , may be of use.

The following is some calculations I did with a spreadsheet comparing different gearboxes. yellow is the stock 6 speed 02M manual in my 225TT.
Next is an 8P RS3 gearbox, the Green is an S3/TTS/GOLF R DQ250 gearbox, the one I have fitted to my TT.
Next are the ratios fitted to a Seat Leon Eurocup race car with a DQ250 gearbox. Close, low ratios for maximum performance.
And finally a DQ250 from a TDI , Great if you like economy . The gear change point is set at 7800 as that is what my engine red lines at. Of course this would be lower in most other set ups.

Last edited:
Hi, I am currently doing the MQB DQ500 swap into a 7R and have most of the pin layout but I am stuck on the additional wire I need to add. Any ideas?

Hi, I am currently doing the MQB DQ500 swap into a 7R and have most of the pin layout but I am stuck on the additional wire I need to add. Any ideas?
Which additional wire are you referring to?

There's can hi, can lo, +ve, ground and start inhibitor from memory, there's k-line if dq250 which isn't relevant on mqb chassis

Thanks

Which additional wire are you referring to?

There's can hi, can lo, +ve, ground and start inhibitor from memory, there's k-line if dq250 which isn't relevant on mqb chassis

Thanks
Any chance of a DM? I have wired the plug, awaiting Vagcom tomorrow to see if everything is correct.
Thanks grainqey.

@grainqey do you know if the DQ500 needs to come from a pre-MQB platform vehicle if the swap is to be done on an 8P? Where i'm based, the 8P RS3 is rare to find being stripped for parts; but there are lots of 8V RS3's.

Just wanted to get an opinion on the compatibility of the DQ500 used in the PQ35 platform vs the MQB platform, and if they are interchangeable or not?

Hello you need a mechatronic from pq platform to make it work! I know I did it,

Reactions: Hobo_Joe
That's misleading, all the dq500 gearboxes use the same mechatronics but to suit the different ratios and shift quality have different software, and it doesn't need to be from an 8P either.
I've used a tiguan dq500 and an 8p dq500 in an 8p both were fine but the tiguan dq500 was affected by the synchro shafts fault. Whether they updated the mechatronics later like they did for the dl501's I don't know but anything upto 2016 should be fine regardless

That's misleading, all the dq500 gearboxes use the same mechatronics but to suit the different ratios and shift quality have different software, and it doesn't need to be from an 8P either.
I've used a tiguan dq500 and an 8p dq500 in an 8p both were fine but the tiguan dq500 was affected by the synchro shafts fault. Whether they updated the mechatronics later like they did for the dl501's I don't know but anything upto 2016 should be fine regardless

Thanks! So if I understand correctly you are saying that it is possible to use the DQ500 gearbox itself from a new model RS3 (8V), but you would need to swap out the mechatronic unit from an 8P RS3 gearbox or re-code the mechatronic unit to the applicable software version that was on the 8P to get it to communicate correctly with the ECU?

On the 8P just fit it and wire it up, should be plug and play if you have the right can gateway. You can leave the mechatronics in too

Reactions: Jayjay2k10
Hi grainqey I recently come across your thread and it’s very interesting, I am doing a 8p s3 dq500 conversion for it runing but have no communication to gearbox via vcs possible wired it incorrectly as ungrounded the purple wire to chassis can I have your wiring diagram please to double check it?
the car goes into drive and p mode but drives as if the ratios are completely incorrect. It’s a rs3 gearbox 8p but has 8v mech

Hi grainqey I recently come across your thread and it’s very interesting, I am doing a 8p s3 dq500 conversion for it runing but have no communication to gearbox via vcs possible wired it incorrectly as ungrounded the purple wire to chassis can I have your wiring diagram please to double check it?
the car goes into drive and p mode but drives as if the ratios are completely incorrect. It’s a rs3 gearbox 8p but has 8v mech
I don't have the wiring diagram anymore but the wiring is in the previous pages