Draught Issues!!!!

Nilz

Defo worth the wait :)
Reaction score
Right guys, now that the colder days are here, I have found a draught in the house, its in my hallway and I walked up and down the stairs with a candle and there is a certain spot where its quite noticable, now the hallway is carpeted and the spot is just above the under stairs cupboard.

There is a window in the hallway, but I checked all around that and there is no draught coming from here.

I have checked in the cupboard under the stairs as well and that all seems to be ok as well...

Is there anyway I can find out where its coming from or even better, how to stop it???

Thanks in advance

Nilz

Look on your outside wall for an airbrick in the area where the under stair cupboard is.
Either that or its where the ghost sits.

Thanks for that dude, at the risk of sounding like a dumbo, whats the airbrick look like?

Also if there is one, what can i do about clearing the draught?

it'll look like a brick with holes in it Nilz :)

Aaaah one of those, i think there might be one, i will check in the morning, if there is, can i do anything about it?

OK had a look this morning and there is an air brick there, more or less in the same place as where the draught is....now under the stairs is where the boiler is, however, this has a flue/exit going out into the external wall, so im hoping I can block the air brick up.

Am I right??

There is another airbrick a bit further up when looking from outside, however this is adjacent to the kitchen, so will leave this one as it is for obvious reasons.

The only gas appliances in the house are in the kitchen (the cooker) and the boiler for the C/H, we do have a heater in the front room, but this is an electric one and we never use it anyway.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks
Nilz

Nilz, the flue is to let the fumes out in a negative pressure kinda way, the airbrick is there to let fresh air in for the boiler to burn. As the fumes go out the flue it draws air in via the airbrick and as the air comes in it helps to push the fumes out.

Do not under any circumstances block it up as bad things will happen, death usually.

The best you can hope to do is seal the under stairs cupboard if the draught is really an issue.

Thanks for your help and advise dude, really appreciate it.

I have been reading up and did read that its not a good idea to seal up airbricks, so will just have to live with it I guess.

Extra jumpers for me!!

Thanks for your help and advise dude, really appreciate it.

I have been reading up and did read that its not a good idea to seal up airbricks, so will just have to live with it I guess.

Extra jumpers for me!!

Alrite dude, buy some intermitten strip for the sides of the door, and a brush for the bottom of the door, that should do the trick .