Dreaded Oil pump failure, Advice needed.

Just to close off the thread...Garage phoned said oil pump and balance shaft replaced but engine has a loud rattle which gets louder the longer engine is on or accelerator is pressed, he says I will be lucky to make it 200 miles to Scotland and to investigate and fix it the cost will end up more than the car is worth so he suggested he will wipe my bill and make his money back scrapping the car. Said since its took 4 months he wants to do me a favour.

I still think he is being so nice is because his garage done the damage but unfortunately no way to prove it so it looks like a sad ending for my reliable 2008 a4 saloon.

Cheers for all the information previously guys.

Just to close off the thread...Garage phoned said oil pump and balance shaft replaced but engine has a loud rattle which gets louder the longer engine is on or accelerator is pressed, he says I will be lucky to make it 200 miles to Scotland and to investigate and fix it the cost will end up more than the car is worth so he suggested he will wipe my bill and make his money back scrapping the car. Said since its took 4 months he wants to do me a favour.

I still think he is being so nice is because his garage done the damage but unfortunately no way to prove it so it looks like a sad ending for my reliable 2008 a4 saloon.

Cheers for all the information previously guys.
Proper **** you've gone through there I would be absolutely fuming.

Not sure what I'd do, you could just draw a line under it and let them have the car and move on but that wouldn't be my route I'd be finding out my legal situation about paying etc and get my car back and try and do them for doing more damage by running it. It all depends if you can be *****.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

I would have recovered it to a local trusted garage months ago.

Reactions: Pie-eyedpiper
I know ****** off at myself for leaving it so long, I did consider the legal route but way to much hassle with no proof. I guess it's an excuse to start saving for something newer and shiny S3 saloon or Ford Edge maybe depends on how much I can save for a deposit haha.

Reactions: jakm15
Honestly I am unconvinced the guy isn't scamming you - you currently only have his word that the engine is borked and he wants to "take it off your hands" to make life easy for you.

My suspicion would be that you send him the V5 and the next day the car will be on auto trader as a good solid runner.

Reactions: jakm15
Honestly I am unconvinced the guy isn't scamming you - you currently only have his word that the engine is borked and he wants to "take it off your hands" to make life easy for you.

My suspicion would be that you send him the V5 and the next day the car will be on auto trader as a good solid runner.
Yeah I was thinking this aswell so I will be taking the yellow page out the v5 to stop or at least put a barrier up to stop this and I'll register it as scrapped on dvla.

I'd turn up unannounced to collect the car, pay the bill and recover it back to home and probably then dump it on WBAC I bet you would still be better off.

turning up unannounced is the key though, otherwise you give him time to make it broken.

You said in an earlier post that the garage told you that they drove it into their workshop and onto ramps.
By what means did they tell you this, I mean was it over the phone, by email or text. If so you could have evidence that they damaged your car further.
What have they actually done to your car apart from change the oil pump balancer shaft to think that their parts and labour equates to the value of your car?
I smell a scam.

Nah it was to my face he said it and on the phone yesterday he said the same but added we checked the oil pressure first...I'm guessing because I challenged him the first time he said it asking why it was drove when it had faulty oil pump.

I'm driving down tomorrow to check the car out and potentially just cut my losses and save up for something next year, I have all my suspicions but unfortunately zero proof and I don't have the cash to risk paying him 835 for the car then the engine pops.

You're not a member of the AA, know anyone with a car trailer or an tow it home (if it's not a q) then?
£850, is that what he's charging for parts and labour, and what he values your car at?

Yeah the AA wont get me for the same incident or case since they dropped the car off at the garage and nope unfortunately because most of my battalion are Scottish working out if England hardly anyone has much kit down there plus majority are deployed to kabul just now. It's a **** situation really.

Yeah his cost for oil pump/ balance shaft replacement is about £835

The car values at £2k on we buy any car but £200 if it's a non runner

But of a toughie.

But never take Philip Schofiel's word for it, the bloke is clueless.
I had a 16 yr old Transit van once and got their valuation - £15.

Did you say you were just going to call in at the garage and see what the hell is going on for yourself?
Best move.

just read this with great interest got a passat which spat a shaft out got the kit ie stainless insert and longer shaft was hoping i had saved it by only driving it a mile home on tickover but after a rebuild new clutch and turbo while it was down started it up 2nite started ok but after a while got a rattle top end i think can anyone give me an idea what damage may have been caused and is it worth chasing it or put another motor in it shame because it has full service history up to 138 thou currently on 151 cheers in adance trev