drill bits

martin1984

Reaction score
trying to drill out a bolt have tried a few drill bits I have can anyone recommend some that I can order online ?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Depends on the bolt, which one as some are hardened.

Depends on the bolt, which one as some are hardened.
it's on a garden table which I've had for over 10 years see pic if it's any help
75ffc5550366bd8d3b768db017b51668.jpg
3997878d5325e6fcce55cd8c39911821.jpg

Saw or grind, then knock off?

You wont drill it as it is martin, well if its the treaded stud part were talking about.
First you need to cut it off flush, get a punch or similar and get a punch mark in the centre of the screw shank, then go through once with a small drill then with the larger size drill.
If that is just screwed in you'll need to retap the hole for a new bolt aswell.
They will be plain bolts ,not hardened .

That's probably cast metal aswell so will break if you are not carefull.

Reactions: NHN and martin1984
You wont drill it as it is martin, well if its the treaded stud part were talking about.
First you need to cut it off flush, get a punch or similar and get a punch mark in the centre of the screw shank, then go through once with a small drill then with the larger size drill.
If that is just screwed in you'll need to retap the hole for a new bolt aswell.
They will be plain bolts ,not hardened .

That's probably cast metal aswell so will break if you are not carefull.
yea I am going to have to buy a tap and die set just can't get any of my current drill bit to get into the metal

He means the part that's snapped of in the 2nd pic.

Need some good hss bits, pilot with a small bit then work up through the sizes, slowly or you'll just snap or melt the ends.

Reactions: martin1984
Just to clarify something martin, was there a nut on that threaded shank which held the table top section on or was it a bolt that's has snapped.

Looks cast, a quick scrape on the underside would confirm though, or get a magnet on it.

You may have tried this but just in case.
before you cut anything off and start drilling, get it laying flay with some blue tack or similar around the thread , like a dam really.
Pour some decent penetrating fluid, not wd40 etc, something that works like plus gas etc.around it and let it really soak in.
Then get two nuts on the treaded part and tighten them up really well against each other , you can then use the inner nut as a leverage point to use a spanner and try to loosen the stud.
I'd be trying that method first before cutting and drilling, well i'd be using a torch to heat it aswell but unless you have a decent heat source, the fluid and the nut method can work very well.

It works on 50 year old tractors so a garden table should be a walk in the park.

Reactions: CHEZ and martin1984
cast its clearly one of those jobs you wish you never started look like I need to pick up some new tools bouns for me

If you have access to heat that would release it,as Rob said make a dam round it and pour vinegar in it and leave to soak......all that failing drill it out.
I wouldn’t re-tap it,epoxy a new bolt/threaded bar ingood luck

Reactions: Charlie Farley and martin1984
Cobalt drill bit. They will drill most hardened stuff. We use them in work to drill, a broken drill!