Drive select and engine braking

Scaglioni

Reaction score
Hi
On the 8V engine breaking was standard ( if memory serves ) in all modes except economy. On the 8Y it seems that it only applies if in " S " irrespective of drive mode ( also obviously also in manual ). I only noted when, having taken foot off throttle in preparation for a particular speed gun that the car hadn't slowed down as usual. Is this behaviour adjustable ?
Cheers
F

Hi
On the 8V engine breaking was standard ( if memory serves ) in all modes except economy. On the 8Y it seems that it only applies if in " S " irrespective of drive mode ( also obviously also in manual ). I only noted when, having taken foot off throttle in preparation for a particular speed gun that the car hadn't slowed down as usual. Is this behaviour adjustable ?
Cheers
F
I’ll preface the following by saying that I have the S-Tronic with the Driver assistance pack, which may behave differently to other cars. And I’ve spent most of my time in Comfort mode. In my car, the behaviour when taking my foot off the accelerator seems to depend on location and circumstance. For example:

If I’m on flat ground, with no cars immediately ahead and no junction for which I need to slow down then the car will coast (most likely with engine off).

If I am on a hill then the car is more likely to engine brake/regen (though this seems dependent on how close I am to the speed limit).

If a car is immediately ahead then my car will engine brake / regen to match the other car’s speed.

If I am approaching a roundabout or T-junction, or if the SatNav is active and I’m approaching a junction that I need to turn at, then the car will engine brake / regen to a suitable speed for the junction (assuming I’ve given it sufficient time to do so and prompted by the car showing the symbol to remind me to take my foot off the accelerator).

(All of these examples are with ACC switched off. The car seems to use information from the SatNav and sensors to determine whether to coast, engine brake or regen. )

Reactions: DreamInCode
I’ll preface the following by saying that I have the S-Tronic with the Driver assistance pack, which may behave differently to other cars. And I’ve spent most of my time in Comfort mode. In my car, the behaviour when taking my foot off the accelerator seems to depend on location and circumstance. For example:

If I’m on flat ground, with no cars immediately ahead and no junction for which I need to slow down then the car will coast (most likely with engine off).

If I am on a hill then the car is more likely to engine brake/regen (though this seems dependent on how close I am to the speed limit).

If a car is immediately ahead then my car will engine brake / regen to match the other car’s speed.

If I am approaching a roundabout or T-junction, or if the SatNav is active and I’m approaching a junction that I need to turn at, then the car will engine brake / regen to a suitable speed for the junction (assuming I’ve given it sufficient time to do so and prompted by the car showing the symbol to remind me to take my foot off the accelerator).

(All of these examples are with ACC switched off. The car seems to use information from the SatNav and sensors to determine whether to coast, engine brake or regen. )
An interesting set of observations. I shall have to observe in more detail. I wonder if any of this is actually documented anywhere where we could actually read it.

Reactions: AdamInKent
Can I ask a question that might seem thick? Can anyone explain how all this works with a manual gearbox, if at all?
I will say, I have do get the green foot symbol when approaching junctions and especially roundabouts.