Facelift Drive Select: Quattro in Dynamic

alpesh26

Reaction score
Tried to find some info on this in the manual but it doesnt really tell me much. When setting up Drive Select in Invdividual mode, what does setting Quattro to Dynamic do? Does it alter the split in power to the front and rear, if so, whats the split?

Same as putting the car in dynamic. The split is max 50/50 during normal driving conditions (grip on all 4 wheels) for our Haldex Quattro and people who tell you different are wrong (there is just too much wrong information on the internet from people who think they are mechanical engineers).

More info here:
2B982648 E12F 451A 993C 491D557B0798

Reactions: alpesh26
So basically the Haldex coupling activates earlier or more aggressively when in dynamic.
Not really noticed any difference when driving hard even in the wet.

It should have some affect when driven hard round corners.....reduced understeer with more bias to the rear drive than the normal mode

Reactions: alpesh26
It should have some affect when driven hard round corners.....reduced understeer with more bias to the rear drive than the normal mode

This is exactly how I can tell the difference. You're able to go much harder on the throttle out of e.g. roundabouts. It's also easy to feel when it's wet during hard acceleration from a stand still with ESP off. Did this the other day and all four wheels just started spinning. Pretty funny feeling when coming from a RWD car.

Some more reading about the basics of the two Quattro systems, Haldex and Torsen: https://www.carthrottle.com/post/wvmekv7/

The Haldex system in the R32 is the older Haldex Gen2 (IIRC) whereas ours is the Gen5. The Gen5 system is faster and doesn't need the front wheels to spin before engaging. The activation now depends on several factors e.g. throttle position, driving mode and grip, which is why the quattro system engages the rear wheels almost instantly when in Dynamic on the latest S3's, RS3's, Golf R's etc.

One note though, the Audi R8 also uses the Haldex Quattro system but since the engine is placed closest to the rear wheels it's all turned upside down. Meaning most of the power is sent to the rear wheels but it's able to make a 50/50 destribution as well.

Reactions: keenu and alpesh26
This is exactly how I can tell the difference. You're able to go much harder on the throttle out of e.g. roundabouts. It's also easy to feel when it's wet during hard acceleration from a stand still with ESP off. Did this the other day and all four wheels just started spinning. Pretty funny feeling when coming from a RWD car.

This makes sense now, i was going around a roundabout a bit too fast and i felt the back step out, in comfort it never did this and i could feel the car understeering. Thanks!

Is there any negative effect of setting quattro to dynamic?
I use the individual setup and had it set to auto along with gearbox and suspension control, with the rest set to dynamic.