Drive select

Robin Chandler

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking at purchasing an Audi A7 soon and have a couple of questions about the Drive Select system. I'm looking at the 3.0 TFSI about 2012 to 2015.
Do they all have Drive Select?
Does this adjust the suspension (magnetic dampers!), or just the steering and gearbox?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,
I'm looking at purchasing an Audi A7 soon and have a couple of questions about the Drive Select system. I'm looking at the 3.0 TFSI about 2012 to 2015.
Do they all have Drive Select?
Does this adjust the suspension (magnetic dampers!), or just the steering and gearbox?

Thanks in advance.

As far as I’m aware, yes they all come with Drive select

What’s adjustable? It depends on what your car has fitted. S7’s come with air suspension, so you can “adjust” it in the drive select menu. I think you can set exhaust values to be open or closed too.

Chances are yours will only do steering and gearbox at the very least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Robin Chandler
I don’t recall magnetic dampers being available on the A7 - it was either steel sprinters or air suspension. My 2016 has the latter which added £2k to its price, as a result the air option was very rarely specified.

Reactions: Robin Chandler
I don’t recall magnetic dampers being available on the A7 - it was either steel sprinters or air suspension. My 2016 has the latter which added £2k to its price, as a result the air option was very rarely specified.

Thanks for the info. What's it like with the air? Any issues?

The air suspension transforms the car as far as I’m concerned. I test drove steel sprung A7s and air spring A8s before speccing my car. The ride quality is much improved (I also went for 20 inch wheels so they help) and there is less resonance on rough road surfaces. It’s one of the reasons I’ve kept the car for so long - 6 years and 78k.

I have air on the S7, the only OEM option was to upgrade to the Dynamic Ride Control, which when I purchased the car in 2016, had a bit of a chequered history.
Im glad I stayed for the air, as a few years later I installed the Cete Air control system, so now have full adjustment of my height, from +40 to -40mm. for daily rides I have it set at -20mm all round, which tightens up the ride, and reduces the body roll a little.

I still have the car, and it’s my daily rider (when I’m in the UK) 64k miles now and zero mechanical issues. Don’t get me started on DAB radio reception though :hi:

The poor DAB reception is annoying, it’s got slightly worse since I had an aftermarket CarPlay unit fitted so now I get even more signal black spots.