Driver Assistance opinions?

Koofteh

Reaction score
So I'm eyeing the new 2018 RS3, needless to say it's not the most common car on dealers' lots.

Dealer near me has the perfect one actually, Nardo Grey, black optics, red calipers and red stitching. The only thing I would have ticked if building to order would be the tech package, which includes mostly driver assistance stuff like adaptive cruise control, lane assist and high beam assist.

Are these options I really want to wait upwards of 6 months for? Plus the camera for all this seems to require a big hole in the front grill which isn't very attractive to look at.

The driver assist pack is a 'gimmick', it's all toys that you don't need. The RS3 is a drivers car and the assistance options aren't ones which will make the car unenjoyable. It comes with cruise control and auto lights anyway.

I selected them because I wanted the extended leather inside, but then my dealer said it wouldn't allow them to select the leather without side assist and for the sake of value for money I paid the extra and had the whole assist package. Another reason I did this is because this is my third A3 8V platform car, so some new toys will make it all the more exciting and it's something new for me to learn otherwise I am well familiarised.

It's up to you but I would 100000% be going to that dealer and securing that car immediately, it's definitely not worth the wait.

Reactions: Terminator x and Koofteh
The driver assist pack is a 'gimmick', it's all toys that you don't need. The RS3 is a drivers car and the assistance options aren't ones which will make the car unenjoyable. It comes with cruise control and auto lights anyway.

I selected them because I wanted the extended leather inside, but then my dealer said it wouldn't allow them to select the leather without side assist and for the sake of value for money I paid the extra and had the whole assist package. Another reason I did this is because this is my third A3 8V platform car, so some new toys will make it all the more exciting and it's something new for me to learn otherwise I am well familiarised.

It's up to you but I would 100000% be going to that dealer and securing that car immediately, it's definitely not worth the wait.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah I figured they were gimmicks... gimmicks I would totally pay $1,400 just to have, but I'm with you, the kind of person who would be eyeing an RS3 probably doesn't need assistance with their driving. High-beam assist sounds interesting but it seems like it's less than perfect.

Don't worry, got my deposit down already. :D

I'm old so all this "the car can drive for you" holds zero interest and never will. Autonomous cars not for me and apparently Joe Public is split 50/50 on it too.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: AudiNutta
Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah I figured they were gimmicks... gimmicks I would totally pay $1,400 just to have, but I'm with you, the kind of person who would be eyeing an RS3 probably doesn't need assistance with their driving. High-beam assist sounds interesting but it seems like it's less than perfect.

Don't worry, got my deposit down already. :D

Also remember, these technologies are very much in the development stage with Audi and I've had a salesman tell me that the adaptive cruise isn't all that. I wanted Matrix lights but got told you don't need them, the LED ones are good which I know they are as I have them on my S3. Again, I'm unlikely to drive it too often at night so I don't need them.

Before I drove an RS, I found myself ticking nearly every option on the sheet thinking I need it to enjoy the car. But having driven one, you seriously don't! Having adaptive cruise, or high beam assist is not going to stop you falling in love with the car and never would. The car is so much without all these options, they aren't necessary and when you have driven one your ability to compromise will become much, much stronger!

Glad to hear you have a deposit down, very exciting! I hope that we have been able to take some doubts away from you, because you will love the car just as much.

I'm old so all this "the car can drive for you" holds zero interest and never will. Autonomous cars not for me and apparently Joe Public is split 50/50 on it too.

TX.

My sole reason is having some new toys, I've driven 20+ 8V cars thinking back.. I don't think there is a quirk I don't know about them. Having some extra toys to play with on my third, will be welcome. But if I had to cut back, the driver assist pack will 110% be the first thing to go.

I'm not expecting a lot, as I said above the traffic assist etc are very much in the development stage.

Interesting observations!
I am one of the other 50 - I embrace technology in whatever form! Can't have enough of it! I may not need it, but want it!
And I am probably the oldest one in this thread...

Reactions: Enbarr and AudiNutta
Be careful what you wish for though Hal!

TX.

Interesting observations!
I am one of the other 50 - I embrace technology in whatever form! Can't have enough of it! I may not need it, but want it!
And I am probably the oldest one in this thread...

I understand your logic, but at the same time I'm happy to compromise on a fancy cruise control system and the car be that little bit more affordable.

Well, I assumed the salesman would want me to tick as many options as possible.

Oh I agree, but you said "I've had a salesman tell me that the adaptive cruise isn't all that. I wanted Matrix lights but got told you don't need them, the LED ones are good which I know they are as I have them on my S3.

The adaptive cruise is great, especially in traffic, and the matrix lights are much better than the LED's...... :racer:

Reactions: neg
Salesmen don't always have your best interests at heart though so anything they say can be taken with a pinch of salt tbh.
As for the assistance pack, I really do enjoy the adaptive cruise and lane assist.
The only caveat I have with the acc is you do tend to just sit there and follow the car in front, you can end up slowing significantly as the rest of the world flies by if not careful. Also if the car in front turns into a side road I've had the car brake quite violently thinking there is an obstruction even when fully clear.
The lane assist is fine, you can feel it's input but I don't think it's obtrusive and it can be adjusted. You also get the speed limit displayed in the dash if you have the lane assist camera, or at least you do in the uk
I would spec it from new if the money wasn't an issue

Oh I agree, but you said "I've had a salesman tell me that the adaptive cruise isn't all that. I wanted Matrix lights but got told you don't need them, the LED ones are good which I know they are as I have them on my S3.

The adaptive cruise is great, especially in traffic, and the matrix lights are much better than the LED's...... :racer:

It was back when I test drove a PFL that a salesman told me he didn't think the adaptive cruise was very good. When I ordered mine the salesman said that he doesn't see a big difference between LED and Matrix, so he said it's not something he'd worry about.

I chose to believe him on the grounds that he wants me to spend as much as possible.

I have all the assistance packs on my current car and will have them on the new one when it arrives. In my view ACC is superb. Either in heavy traffic or on motorway cruises it makes life a lot more relaxing as long as you realise the system limitations :grin:. As for the rest, side assist it is also very good at detecting cars in your blind spot and fast approaching cars from behind. Aids rather than replaces checking mirrors before you overtake another car.

I have never heard of needing side assist to go with extended leather. The configurator doesn't require it. Think the salesman needs to learn a bit more about the car before he sells it:frowning:

I have all the assistance packs on my current car and will have them on the new one when it arrives. In my view ACC is superb. Either in heavy traffic or on motorway cruises it makes life a lot more relaxing as long as you realise the system limitations :grin:. As for the rest, side assist it is also very good at detecting cars in your blind spot and fast approaching cars from behind. Aids rather than replaces checking mirrors before you overtake another car.

I have never heard of needing side assist to go with extended leather. The configurator doesn't require it. Think the salesman needs to learn a bit more about the car before he sells it:frowning:

What sort of limitations? I think I would be very nervous using the self driving at first haha.

Side assist was the one I liked most, but £500 for that alone is a lot.

Yep what he said sounded like rubbish to me but he refused to speak to anybody to argue it, but it swung me into the package. The salesman doesn't have a clue about it, he's only been in the trade 3 years and nearly half of that at Audi. I am really disappointed with his question reply rate etc, but oh well. I for example asked for the best way to add the £250 Tyre Pressure Monitoring without having to perform another finance search and he ignored me. My next email about sending the order form back signed, I had a reply to.. annoying.

I wanted to try and see if there was a way of arranging one of the Audi factory tours the week mine is getting built, but I know he will have no interest in helping me. Using the different dealer was a sacrifice I had to make for having an Exclusive Colour.

Have to agree the matrix lights are brilliant, you don't need to worry about flicking full beam on and off all the time and the illumination is unreal. It's not really tech per se although it is impressive in how they work. I actually see them as a safety plus point as it lights up the road far wider and farther than the standard lights will. On dark country roads and driving at speed, this is where they come into their own. If you've never had them or experienced them then you wont miss them (Pretty much like adaptive cruise control) but if you have had them, you will miss them.

Saying all that, I haven't specced either in my RS3, there are higher up the list option boxes to tick before them and to keep hold of depreciation you need to keep the options ticked sensible.

Audinutta, you should be able to add/remove spec very easily at this point. TPMS is worth having for a mere £250. They are particularly useful for those that visit drag strips and tracks where tyre temps and pressures are important for grip levels.

Every time I have bought a car from Audi, they put the finance through about a week or so before delivery, all I've had at this point are updated quotations thus far rather than actual finance paperwork. Your salesman is being VERY lazy and unhelpful.

What sort of limitations? I think I would be very nervous using the self driving at first haha.

There are limitations on how much the current ACC can detect. It only reacts to moving objects or vehicles which have already been detected as moving objects. This is especially true if you are approaching an undetected car already stopped on the road such as at junctions or traffic lights. I don't know if the revised system is the same and yes it is scary the first few times you use it. Your foot hovers over the brake pedal until you feel the car slowing.:grinning:

Certainly with the PFL its better thinking of them as driver aids rather than self driving car. Will be interested to see how much better the new systems are

Your dealer sounds awful. If I was spending that much money I would expect a lot better service from the dealer than you are getting. If you are not happy go direct to the manager or Audi UK. That usually wakes them up :grin:

Audinutta, you should be able to add/remove spec very easily at this point. TPMS is worth having for a mere £250. They are particularly useful for those that visit drag strips and tracks where tyre temps and pressures are important for grip levels.

Every time I have bought a car from Audi, they put the finance through about a week or so before delivery, all I've had at this point are updated quotations thus far rather than actual finance paperwork. Your salesman is being VERY lazy and unhelpful.

Yep I thought I should have been able to, all I had was a disclaimer from him a week ago that changing the spec may alter the build date.

The advanced TPMS is another gimmick and doesn't cost a lot for it, its ideal for pressures and interesting to see the temps.

They proposed the finance with a search before taking a deposit, then they told me they will have to perform 1 search every 90 days prior to delivery in case I go do something silly basically.
I asked if I could add the TPMS and pay for it up front, even if that is now so they don't have to do yet another financial search! He ignored that email, then replied to my next which was really annoying.. he won't go out of his way to help. Same with the side assist and extended leather combo, he refused to see a sales manager or speak to admin to see if it was something that could be sorted as they are totally unrelated. Not sure how to deal with it really, don't want to get their backs up so I think I will just make do.

With all the finance issues I've had due to age, this time went too smoothly.. it went straight through, they were amazed and that's with the S3 still on my profile. I am going to go up next week when I am back home and then he will have to answer my requests. Difference is, I'm getting their usual customer treatment.. not somebody who is buying an RS product and a crazed enthusiast.

Ah right that is really interesting, yeah I would definitely not be switching off and be watching it all the time. It's just something cool that will no doubt make me smile, I had a courtesy car with high beam assist a few weeks ago and I thought that was great it made me smile haha! I'm sure I will love the new tech.

As per my post above to another member, I am getting normal customer treatment and not an RS experience. But it's a small dealer and I don't think they have a lot of experience. Really quite disappointing but I don't want to complain and get their backs up, I have no such thing to complain about really but the feeling I've gotten isn't the best from being ignored etc. My usual centre and salesman are outstanding, he replies to emails up until midnight etc and can't do enough for you.. if I asked the sales manager to help me sort the factory visit on build week, it would happen because he would be as enthusiastic about it as me. I know when I ask next week it will just be "I don't think that is something we can do", to which I will ask him to research and I will get back "We wouldn't normally do that, I don't think it's possible".

I asked to speak to the sales manager the day I ordered, he wouldn't go and get him. Really disappointing! I'd have expected the sales manager to be there for an RS purchase. At my usual centre the sales manager would come out and meet customers when the deal was done and have a good chat. Lost count how many times I've gone in and he's dragged me down to have a chat.

As per my post above to another member, I am getting normal customer treatment and not an RS experience.

I don't mean to burst your bubble but you are not going to get any favouritised treatment for buying an RS3. It's the entry model RS and is probably around mid range point in their line up. To highlight this, the model range is shown in order below at their entry price point. The SQ2/RSQ3/RS4/R8 (lower spec) are soon to be added to the range too.

A1
A3
Q2
S1
A4
Q3
TT
S3
A5
A6
Q5
TTS
RS3
S4
S5
A7
Q7
SQ5
TTRS
S6
RS5
A8
S7
SQ7
RS6
S8
RS7
A8 W12
R8

So out of 29 different currently available models and variants there of, the RS3 is 13/29, i.e pretty mid range.

The guy with the A7 that pulls up next to you is worth more to Audi than the RS3 even though it's an A vs an RS.

Of course it is special to us as the owners though, it is an Audi RS car and the top of the A3 range. In terms of sales, yes, perhaps only 20% of Audi customers will purchase a car above £45k as the huge majority of their sales will be non performance models A1/3/4/5/Q3 etc. RS models come in fairly small numbers so they are that extra bit special.

Preferential or carpet treatment will probably come from RS5 upwards in the range. Saying that, it all depends on your dealer really, my Missus got a bouquet of flowers, a box of chocolates and two bottles of wine when she picked up her Q5 and I got a track day when I picked up my RS6.

Last edited:
I don't mean to burst your bubble but you are not going to get any favouritised treatment for buying an RS3. It's the entry model RS and is probably around mid range point in their line up. To highlight this, the model range is shown in order below at their entry price point. The SQ2/RSQ3/RS4/R8 (lower spec) are soon to be added to the range too.

A1
A3
Q2
S1
A4
Q3
TT
S3
A5
A6
Q5
TTS
RS3
S4
S5
A7
Q7
SQ5
TTRS
S6
RS5
A8
S7
SQ7
RS6
S8
RS7
A8 W12
R8

So out of 29 different currently available models and variants there of, the RS3 is 13/29, i.e pretty mid range.

The guy with the A7 that pulls up next to you is worth more to Audi than the RS3 even though it's an A vs an RS.

Preferential or carpet treatment will probably come from RS5 upwards in the range. Saying that, it all depends on your dealer really, my Missus got a bouquet of flowers, a box of chocolates and two bottles of wine when she picked up her Q5 and I got a track day when I picked up my RS6.

I don't want to be treated like royalty, but it should feel like a special experience and I shouldn't be ignored.. that's all. A £54k car to me, isn't very mid-range.. depends on the individual again, but that's a serious amount of money and I'm having to nag to spend more!

I got a track day from the S3 with Cardiff Audi but I am 20, not 21 so I had to give it to my friend. Next year maybe.... :/

Reactions: Enbarr
Yes, they certainly should be amending your order as and when you feel like changing it considering the order isn't yet locked down. I've changed mine 4 times now and it literally takes them 2 mins to update on their system. As for delays, I think that's just a scare tactic. My build week has come forward to 23rd October too but it may come forward even more according to my dealer.

Sometimes it best just to pick up the phone, they can't get away with ignoring your request on the phone like they can just ignoring an email.

Considering the amount a car costs (for most of us the second largest purchase we'll ever make) it must be said that buying a car is not made as special an experience as it probably should be. In fact, my own extensive experience with dealers has been pretty shocking to the point that I dread talking to a car salesman and now try to do all my deal making over the telephone. Typically rude with a can't be ***** attitude, it sometimes feels like they're doing me a favour by having to deal with me! Of course, there are exceptions, but on the whole buying a car can be a painful and less than enjoyable experience.

AudiNutta, you said something in one of your earlier posts which rings very true about not wanting additional items or gimmicks to enjoy the car and I think if you look at it from a practical point of view rather than an emotional one it's very true.
Who actually needs more than the standard car offers?
A lot of the stuff in my opinion is just to get you to spend more money, take the black or alu pack for instance nearly every order I see has these specified .. Why?

If it is to be different everyone is going for them if you think the car looks too plain without them you can always get the areas wrapped for a fraction of the price.

For me all of the mag ride, and all of the other electronic stuff is not what the car should be about, if I wanted a performance saloon that was comfortable I would have bought an S4, and nearly did.

For those who have gone all out and specified everything that's absolutely fine, for other who have gone for just the basic car, it is still going to be a fantastic car to drive and quite exclusive, so just enjoy what you have whether you have gone all out or just basic.

Apologies if this sounds a little dictatorial, too many glasses of red wine on holiday!

Lots of interesting discussion here, thanks.

So I had a long day but barring any unforeseen issues, this time tomorrow my little white GTI will be gone and replaced by a 2018 RS3 in Nardo Grey.

I guess that makes my choice regarding drivers assistance rather obvious. :D There's no way I could pass this up right now only to get my RS3 with Tech Package in the dead of winter. I'm definitely a tech-oriented person, I would normally be all over anything like that but with that 5-cylinder orchestra under the hood I don't think you need much else.

Actually in Canada the RS3 comes with some basic stuff as standard like pre-sense basic and blind spot detection. So I'm not missing out on much, adaptive cruise would likely be the only thing I would use more than once and even then very rarely. I kind of wanted the tech package just because all the other stuff (minus ceramic brakes and cosmetic options) seems to be standard in Canada, but I don't think I'll even notice they aren't there once I forget the details of the order sheet.

That giant gaping hole in the honeycomb grill though, never seen one in person but from photos it looks absolutely massive on the RS3. Configurator image with front module attached for your viewing dis-pleasure.

Attachments

• biguglyhole.jpg
    biguglyhole.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 139
Yes, they certainly should be amending your order as and when you feel like changing it considering the order isn't yet locked down. I've changed mine 4 times now and it literally takes them 2 mins to update on their system. As for delays, I think that's just a scare tactic. My build week has come forward to 23rd October too but it may come forward even more according to my dealer.

Sometimes it best just to pick up the phone, they can't get away with ignoring your request on the phone like they can just ignoring an email.

I am going to pay a visit when I get back home (end of holiday today :( ) then add the TPMS I think. I wanted to pay the £250 up front, but I am expecting him to say the invoice price will change to they will have to propose the finance again. :/

Funny how ours have moved together! Not sure when it changed but I checked yesterday and had a hell of a shock, not expecting it to be any sooner. We expected a build week in 2018, so November was good enough anyway. My dealer didn't say it may come forwards again, but he said it will be late November/December before its there. My mates S3 took around a week and a half from factory to dealer, hoping to see it the end of the first week of November?

Considering the amount a car costs (for most of us the second largest purchase we'll ever make) it must be said that buying a car is not made as special an experience as it probably should be. In fact, my own extensive experience with dealers has been pretty shocking to the point that I dread talking to a car salesman and now try to do all my deal making over the telephone. Typically rude with a can't be ***** attitude, it sometimes feels like they're doing me a favour by having to deal with me! Of course, there are exceptions, but on the whole buying a car can be a painful and less than enjoyable experience.

Yes I agree, it is very easy to change a car but to most people it is nothing whereas to us it is a little more special. The centre I've bought from don't even have a handover bay, so it will be in the showroom.. not expecting anything special. I have asked if I can have it transported to my detailer for front end PPF and ceramic coating before delivery, but they want all the finance docs signed, registered and insured first. So I could just drive it away from the dealer but I've asked for it to be taken back, try to get the most of the experience I can. :/

With regards to picking up the phone instead of going in, I've had a couple of salesman tell me that you usually get a better deal by going in face to face.

Lots of interesting discussion here, thanks.

So I had a long day but barring any unforeseen issues, this time tomorrow my little white GTI will be gone and replaced by a 2018 RS3 in Nardo Grey.

I guess that makes my choice regarding drivers assistance rather obvious. :D There's no way I could pass this up right now only to get my RS3 with Tech Package in the dead of winter. I'm definitely a tech-oriented person, I would normally be all over anything like that but with that 5-cylinder orchestra under the hood I don't think you need much else.

Actually in Canada the RS3 comes with some basic stuff as standard like pre-sense basic and blind spot detection. So I'm not missing out on much, adaptive cruise would likely be the only thing I would use more than once and even then very rarely. I kind of wanted the tech package just because all the other stuff (minus ceramic brakes and cosmetic options) seems to be standard in Canada, but I don't think I'll even notice they aren't there once I forget the details of the order sheet.

That giant gaping hole in the honeycomb grill though, never seen one in person but from photos it looks absolutely massive on the RS3. Configurator image with front module attached for your viewing dis-pleasure.

That's superb, congratulations! Can't wait to see some pictures and hopefully some sound videos ;) I've yet to find a cold start video for the new RS3. You won't miss the little gimmicks, wait till you turn the key and then the never ending smiles can begin.

The radar cavity in the grill is pretty large, I think it is 3" squared roughly if not a little bigger. That has worried me a little, ruining the one piece RS grill but I'm sure it won't bother me too much. I'd like to take the front plate off, a lot in the UK do that but it is illegal. The radar will be less noticeable I think with the number plate on.

I would not order a car today without adaptive cruise control or the lane assist, highway driving is not fun either way so if the car can mainly drive itself during that period, great.

Reactions: Colin A
With regards to picking up the phone instead of going in, I've had a couple of salesman tell me that you usually get a better deal by going in face to face.

I have always found this to be the case AudiNutta, as they say they can tell if you are a genuine punter when they're dealing with you in the flesh.

(I know on my order post, I said I'd agreed a deal on the phone, however I'd already been in the dealership many times so they knew me)

I have always found this to be the case AudiNutta, as they say they can tell if you are a genuine punter when they're dealing with you in the flesh.

(I know on my order post, I said I'd agreed a deal on the phone, however I'd already been in the dealership many times so they knew me)

By all means you can deal over the phone but I have been told that dealing in person, is likely to get you a little bit extra money off. Shame I didn't get any, damn.

I always find that dealing face to face, with a copy of the Carwow offer in hand for the spec your looking for, works wonders :racer: