Driver side disc scored

Toonsoldier91

It's my birthday
Reaction score
Afternoon everyone

I’ve just noticed that my drivers side disc is scored they don’t feel very deep yet so I’m hoping I can save it as I don’t wanna be replacing them 9 months into ownership

Any tips on what I could do ?? Some heavy breaking from say 70? Do you think that would help

Ironically the same thing happened on my a3 saloon but I ended up changing them all anyways but theses cost a fair bit more and the pads still have loads of meat left on them

Thanks in advance
1D002CCD 22C1 46D5 BAF1 DB8DE50993E6

Lightly buff with an angle grinder with a flappy pad on it might take it out

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

If it doesn't squeal or impair the stopping performance of the vehicle I wouldn't worry, it will just wear out naturally. I guess its the cosmetically unappealing look of it though?

The disc looks as if it had more substantial rust at some time (was it stood for a while?) which not only rusted the surface but caused some pitting (the dots over the shiny surface). If the pads are good and the disc surface is still nice and flat, it should wear off naturally with day-to-day braking.

Reactions: jds_sg
It does look very much like the car hasn't been used often enough to prevent rusting, even the backplate has signs of it as well. Mine, after over three years and 16,000 miles look far better...

The disc looks as if it had more substantial rust at some time (was it stood for a while?) which not only rusted the surface but caused some pitting (the dots over the shiny surface). If the pads are good and the disc surface is still nice and flat, it should wear off naturally with day-to-day braking.

It does look very much like the car hasn't been used often enough to prevent rusting, even the backplate has signs of it as well. Mine, after over three years and 16,000 miles look far better...

The car is driven daily. As for the backing plate it’s more then likely the stuff the local car wash used when I took it to them

Weekly power washing helps prevent this. The dust build up isn’t good for them. There is also a minimum thickness. The lip does look quite deep. My 2016 A4 is due new disks soon, before the end of the year. In wouldn’t put new pads on these disks as it’ll only get worse as there is now a prominent groove.

I don't think the disc looks badly worn, the lip doesn't look deep to me. But it is surprising how much corrosion there is on the disk backplate and the caliper too.
My car often stands several days without being used as I "work" from home, and yes a bit of surface rust can build up, but not on the backplate and caliper too.
Have you driven through some really salty water or something like that? Is it parked somewhere where it would get splashed with something more corrosive than just rain water?

The car is driven daily. As for the backing plate it’s more then likely the stuff the local car wash used when I took it to them
Yes definitely, they use acid based cleaners on your wheels, and probably down the sides of the car as well. To be avoided if you don't want those wheels to also corrode...

But it is surprising how much corrosion there is on the disk backplate and the caliper too.
you driven through some really salty water or something like that? Is it parked somewhere where it would get splashed with something more corrosive than just rain water?

If you live by the sea and also the roads are salted. Mine look just as corroded but it’s one of the first generation b9’s

Last edited:
I do live close to the sea. Maybe a mile away. I’ll take a photo of the other side if I get chance before it gets dark.

Thanks for all your advice. Going to take it to a garage on Friday to see if anything is stuck in the pads

Some years ago I heard of a manufacturer making pads with a sacrificial abrasive layer that polished the disc and wore off.