Driver Wing Mirror Stopped Moving

Scanned & no faults.

Wondering what mechanically goes wrong with them?

How easy are they to remove? (guide available anywhere?)

Thanks guys
Do you mean the mirror glass has stopped working, or the auto fold has stopped working? It's just electric motors, so I guess some will give up eventually.

Unlikely to be water ingress to the mirror motor or electrics, these things are well sealed against the elements.

I'm not sure if Left and right mirrors are on separate fuses, so may be worth looking.

Removing the mirror glass is very easy. Just angle the mirror inwards as far as it goes, so you can get your fingers around the outside edge of the mirror, and give it a sharp tug. Should pop right off.

Reactions: evans1089
Sorry for bumping guys but I have an issue with drivers mirror. It still folds and the passenger side is working but I can't adjust mirror glass. Where do I start to diagnose fault?

Can you hear the motors turning when you try to adjust the mirror? If you can then it is probably either a failure of the mechanics inside the mirror assembly rather than electrical. If there is no motor sound then it may be either that the motor has failed or it is electrical. Next step wouldbe to carefully remove the mirror glass and do some investigation

Reactions: quattrov6tdi
Can you hear the motors turning when you try to adjust the mirror? If you can then it is probably either a failure of the mechanics inside the mirror assembly rather than electrical. If there is no motor sound then it may be either that the motor has failed or it is electrical. Next step wouldbe to carefully remove the mirror glass and do some investigation
Thank you for reply. Can't hear the motor, I will do a bit of investigation tomorrow. Thanks again.

My passenger folding mirror has been lazy on a couple of occasions and not folded in when locking the car. An unlock and relock didn't work, but firing the engine got the mirror to fold. It seems to coincide when I'd had the ignition on for a long time (an hour maybe) and kept turning it back on after it auto shut off. Perhaps I'd drained the battery a bit low. Logically the mirrors should work every time and doesn't explain why one would be a bit slower or not work at all. Perhaps its a first sign the motor is on the way out.