Drivers Door Won't Close Properly

NineNails

Proud sponsor of the snack food industry
Reaction score
It's really started doing my head in , can anyone help?.
I've tried a good old search but can't seem to find any info on this one.
When you shut the door from inside or outside it seems to just bounce back and only latch onto the first catch if you know what I mean. You have to push it shut (or pull if on inside) onto it's fully closed latch. Been limping along with it for ages now. If you spray WD40 into the mechanism it cures it for a week or so untill it dries out. Grease makes it ALOT worse.
I suspect there's a weak spring somewhere but not had things apart yet.
Anyone come accross this problem before. Like most things Audi, it's probably fairly common?
I do have some wind noise, so maybe the door sub-frame needs adjusting?
It's an embarassing fault coz when I get in my car it takes about 5 attempts to close the door...People are looking.
Cheers.
Si.

had the same problem with the A4 need to take the door card off and clean the mechnism inside the latch ..spring operated so need to make sure it is all free moving and that should clear it up

has the door sagged at all ? As you close it does it move up slightly ?

If so a common problem on A80's and I have seen it several times on A4's that the hinge wears. You can replace the hinge or for a cheap fix unbolt one of the hinges and slip a washer between the body and the hinge. Ive done this twice now, on a 90 and an A4. Obviously you need to work out which pin has worn and where the washer needs to go to sort it.

My drivers door has dropped slightly, I dropped the window and lifted the door up a few times by the top off the door frame and its solved the problem for the moment...

you may need new hinge pins then, i managed to turn my old cars doorpins round (180 degrees) and it compensated for the wear on the pin for a while. but that was a ford and I'm not sure if this is possible on audi's but may be worth a go?

Thanks for the replies lads. Now I just need some decent weather to go look!
Si.